What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very late to the table today, my apologies. About to light up a MM Country Gent with my goto Hobbit Weed, for my first smoke of today. Which incidently is freezing cold, windy and a lot of sleet snow. Its like being in a snow globe
Zip, I’m jealous of all that snow. We didn’t get any this year! Happy puffing!

Good morning BoBs. Pleasant surprise this morning. UPS must have come late last night. My Pete Pub that was not due till Friday showed up early. Breaking it in this morning with CH and a mug of Costa Rican coffee. Will have to modify the Plip and maybe add a softee but it's smoking good right out of the box. Fun day today. Ranger lunch at noon the wifey wants to go ride Teddy this afternoon. Yeehaw.
Ranger, Glad to hear you like the Pete Pub. Now you need three more like me. 😂

Sturdy,

I just got a SP Ferryman from MM, and it is absolutely different in major ways from yours. For one thing it's a quarter bent, and another is that the shank is about six inches long. I must have messed up the order somehow. It does smoke well, but I wasn't expecting something so large.

Carl
Carl, Sounds like you got the MM Salem Woodsman. I like the way the Southport Ferryman smokes, but it’s off balanced for clenching. Happy puffing!

A bit of strenuous work today and now I'm resting at home. Smoking some Carter Hall in a Dunhill billiard. I'll sleep good tonight for sure.
Dunhill-billiard-w-saddle-stem.jpg

I have had my MM General for over 10 years and only smoked it 2 or 3 times. After seeing zippo and Ranger and a few others reguallry smoking theirs I understand now why, its great.
I kind of had it as a novility pipe and get a great kick out of looking at it , thinking about the great man and history that went with it. It is a great smoker and will be a regular for me too now and enjoying a bit of Peterson irish flake.

1678310093057.png

A quarter of the way through this bowl of year 2014 MacBaren Three Nuns in the first pipe Trever Talbot made when he went to France many years ago. It's a smooth straight Algerian briar Lumberman with a long shank and a black vulcanite saddle stem, unbranded.
Trevor_Talbert_Lumberman-big.jpg

I have had my MM General for over 10 years and only smoked it 2 or 3 times. After seeing zippo and Ranger and a few others reguallry smoking theirs I understand now why, its great.
I kind of had it as a novility pipe and get a great kick out of looking at it , thinking about the great man and history that went with it. It is a great smoker and will be a regular for me too now and enjoying a bit of Peterson irish flake.

View attachment 8429
Mike, what you have is the McArthur. It is very similar to the General just having a deeper bowl and longer stem. I thought of getting one but thought it might be a bit unwieldy.

Last of the East Farthing in a Design Berlin bent apple with Dr Perl 9mm filter. This is another one that I can't understand all the rave reviews. I find it rather bland. If there is burley in it I sure can't discern it. Lots of better English blends out there. Black tea with a shot of peach favored bourbon on the side.

Ranger107, I am seeing that it does slow down the burn and it goes more from the front towards the back. I also am getting burns down to the bottom with very little to no unburned tobacco-just ashes. On the flavor, I'm not sure yet. Have some GLP Triple Play out drying and lined up for tomorrow am. I should be able to tell. I've had some awesome bowls of this in Savinelli Trevi 320EX.

Mike, what you have is the McArthur. It is very similar to the General just having a deeper bowl and longer stem. I thought of getting one but thought it might be a bit unwieldy.
:oops: Thanks for the clarification Ranger. Yes a bit unwieldy the real General would be a gem. I have added the real General to my MASSIVE MM shopping cart :LOL:(y)

With the amazing varieties, shapes , colours, and styles of pipes MM are putting out I think they will be the only ones I will be buying in the near and far future. They are really diversifying from the old plain cobs and keeping fresh hey, great R&D team to keep them cobs interesting I reckon.

Last edited: