What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Balisong You have a few cobs I recognize by name, do you own an Emerald or Charlestowme Cobbler from MM? Even my crippled Cobbler is an enormous step up from the lower end MM cobs I own. I am a big fan of cobs in general as work-a-day smokers but I treat my Cobbler like a briar.

Cobbler.jpg

That being said I'm enjoying a bowl of Eccentric in my Rossi this morning with my coffee. Been looking at jobs for arborists but I'm getting too old to scramble around like that, it's a young man's career. Not at all sure I could keep up anymore, even on ground crew.

View attachment 14628
Maybe bucket operator or crane operator would suit you? I joined the Army because tree work was too hard on my body, lol.

@AlphaWarrior I have considered bucket operator, the company would have to be equipped with hydraulic saws, though. We run into problems with maintaining those in Manitoba, most of our crown cleaning contracts are fulfilled in winter and hydraulic saws suffer from the cold temps here. The hydraulic fluid can get really viscous when it gets below 10 F and low temp fluids get costly. It's hard to find a position with an established, well equipped company, very competitive market. I still love the work, but I wouldn't hire me when so many younger guys are available.

Having Eccentric in my little meer while I ponder the irony of wisdom coming late in life. We have so many choices to make when we're young....

Enjoyed a tasty lunch, and smoked a bowl of Watch City English Ernie-ental in a straight dark brown and tan rusticated Peterson 2023 Saint Patrick’s Day 264 Canadian with an Irish flag colored ferrule and tapered black acrylic stem. Lavazza Classico, neat, is my drink.
Peterson_St. Patrick's_Canadian264.jpg

Have lots to do today, and although the rain has stopped, the ground is too slick for me to do my walking reps today. I saw Abner the Eager, Sam the Scamp and Scared Stripesy in the brush at the back yard fence. I was a bit surprised to see them together, but it tells me that they are know each other, which I had suspected was so. Anyway, Scared Stripesy took off running as soon as it heard me calling for the cats. Abner started after him/her, but when I yelled "Do you guys want to eat?", he and Sam came running to the house.

After they ate, I had to keep them separated because Abner was wanting to show Sam who the boss was. Sam has been fixed and Abner has not. Sam is resting on the couch, and Abner is behind my chair. Tomato the Brave finally showed up, and I just let him in to eat. He's still limping. I see a little swelling above his right hip, but he shows no pain when he runs or when I examined him. And he’s certainly very happy as always as he lays by my side.
Sam_BBCouch.jpg

Abner_Top_Chair.jpg

Last edited:
Passing the quarter mark of this bowl of year 2021 Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Evening Flake in a smooth medium bend 2021 Peterson Ebony POTY 4AB No. 422/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem.
4AB_Ebony.jpg

Passing the half way mark of this bowl of year 2015 John Aylesbury Sir John’s Flake Virginia in a straight smooth light brown 2020 Ryan Alden Ace of Spades squat bulldog with a spalted pecan top and ferrule that’s attached to the tapered black acrylic stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Ryan_Alden_BD-left.jpg

Cobbler is an enormous step up from the lower end MM cobs I own
The fit and finish on the acrylic stemmed cobs are definitely a cut above the basic Pride, Legend, Washington, etc. lines. The downfall in the upper lines is the restricted draw and plastic taste that the acrylic imparts to the smoke. I like the danish bits and bent stem pipes. I buy the straight danish bits, sand down the manufacturing seams, dress up the button, and, bend them to my specs.
17045797431543261614313521575261.jpg

I thought this Rob Roy was a Washington but it photographed like a Legend. Notice the softer bend and lack of seems.

@Balisong I agree 100% with your use of Danish bits, I buy them for my Legends when I order them. Not only more aesthetically appealing and sounder, they are far easier to clean and softer than an Acrylic stem. My self-modified Legend 5th Avenue. I filled the floor of this bowl to eliminate the "junk bucket" beneath the draw and reinforced the bowl on the outside with a penny. Great pipe for little investment.

You've convinced me i should pack a quick bowl in this before dinner. MM 150th wil do nicely with some Chimay Triple Ale. ;)

I'm so easy to influence.

MM Legendary.jpg

Last edited:
Now smoking year 2016 Wessex Gold Brick in an undated straight black sandblasted Kevin Arthur brandy with a multi-colored accent on the white acrylic saddle stem. This pipe was originally owned by Sante “FishnBanjo” Guiliani.
Kevin Arthur Brandy.jpg

Listing this a couple of minutes early: Ken Byron Ventures Jim’s Special Flake 2023 in a 1984 black rusticated full bend Peterson Mark Twain military mount egg with a silver cap and tapered black vulcanite p-lip stem.
Peterson_MarkTwain_Rusticated.jpg

After dinner smoke, Rusticated Pete Watson,Stanwell vanilla, Horton`s k-cup. Probably going to bed after this smoke. I am supposed to be at work early tomorrow morning.Hopefully with a good nights sleep I can do it. I never called in sick on any job I have had unless I was really physically unable to do my job.

IMG_5878.jpeg
A very busy week, coupled with ranch repairs and my gal being under the weather has kept me absent from my usual “lurking and liking.”

That said, enjoyed some CS Cowboy Coffee in my SMS meer, followed by a little Old Toby as dessert. I’ve been enjoying my CS bulk blends lately, and I’ve been really pleased with this meer. I’ll be looking to add another to my collection at some point.