What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished smoking year 2014 Dunhill Flake in a straight smooth dark brown 1916 Barling The Hunt with beautiful silver work and a black vulcanite saddle stem with an orific bit.
Barling_Hunter_1.jpg

First pipe of the day. Got up early to attend the National Guard Conference in Fargo. Met the Lt. Governor running for Governor. I liked her a lot. One thing I like about North Dakota is our politicians are not surrounded by security - approachable. She was a v.good supporter of the Guard, Army & Air. Got home late afternoon. I had a little red squirrel in my cage bated with seeds. They are destructive of much - can't kill them, but take them over to Minnesota where the welfare is better - a forest across the Red River. Finished dinner, one of lean hamburger smoother in mushrooms. Going to smoke a Diebel Benchmade Apple 70s vintage and Luxury Bullseye Flake vintage 2010. Under a winter storm warning.
20240323_172542.jpg

Half way through this bowl of year 2012 Esoterica Dunbar in a smooth straight, dark brown early 1960s Lane era Charatan Selected 43 Dublin with a black vulcanite double comfort saddle stem. This pipe was formerly owned by actor William Conrad. Been reading about the destruction of great libraries from antiquity to the 21st century. Millions and millions of books, parchments and papyrus' destroyed. It's sad to think about the loss of all of that history.
Conrad-Dublin copy.jpg

My very first Condor moment. Condor in a cobbit. Halftime smoke during Women’s college basketball game. Go Ole Miss. View attachment 16845View attachment 16846
Oh my gosh. That Condor was an awesome experience. Due to its USA scarcity. I am going to save it for game days of Liverpool. Zippo you will never smoke alone…. Also Ole Miss ladies won. Good afternoon so far.

My driving pipe: a Savinelli Punto Oro 111. Filled with some 2016 St Bruno flake. Notice the micro cracks in the stem around the brass dot. A hard learned lesson: don’t ever sanitize an acrylic stem with isopropyl alcohol. The acrylic will crack from a chemical reaction. Now it’s a beater pipe, a “yard pipe” I like to call it. View attachment 16834
Are you sure? I've never had this happen on my acrylic stems that I've cleaned with alcohol - usually vodka or bourbon. Perhaps, the emblem on placement placed micro-cracks when drilled that became enlarged. I would replace the bit. The brass ? inserts can be replaced, too. 99% of your pipe is the briar bowl.

Relaxing after a wonderful salad, chicken legs and green beans dinner with strawberries for dessert. I'm almost a third of the way through this bowl of Seattle Pipe Club Give Me Liberty in a straight smooth medium brown pre-1920 straight Marechal Ruchon & Cie. Royale apple with a sterling silver band and a tapered black vulcanite stem. Community Coffee, neat, is my drink.
Marechal Ruchon & Cie. Royale apple.jpg

Are you sure? I've never had this happen on my acrylic stems that I've cleaned with alcohol - usually vodka or bourbon. Perhaps, the emblem on placement placed micro-cracks when drilled that became enlarged. I would replace the bit. The brass ? inserts can be replaced, too. 99% of your pipe is the briar bowl.
Alcohol can definitely cause cracks in acrylic stems. I've seen that more than once.

@JimInks I also steer away from Isopropyl Alcohol (isopropanol), it makes stems brittle, particularly acrylic - as you said. It can also dessicate briar. I used Isopropyl alcohol at first, even as a swabbing solution it led to chipping stems.

For heaven's sake, never use Methyl Alcohol (methanol), wood alcohol, it is poisonous.

I stick with grain alcohol, Ethyl Alcohol (ethanol), for pipe related projects. If you can drink it safely you can use it on your pipe. I buy mine from a lab suppier but Everclear will fill the bill.

Putting together some green tea and a bowl of Old Professor before bed.

Attachments

• Rattray's Dark Ale 107.jpg
    Rattray's Dark Ale 107.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Enjoyed a tasty golden delicious apple, and have passed the half way mark of this bowl of Ken Byron Ventures Jim’s Special Flake 2023 in a 1984 black rusticated full bend Peterson Mark Twain military mount egg with a silver cap and tapered black vulcanite p-lip stem. Been busy taking feral photos.
Peterson_MarkTwain_Rusticated.jpg

Did a little low calorie snacking, and have passed the half way mark of this bowl of year 2014 Dan Tobacco Hamborger Veermaster in a smooth straight brown 1950 Dunhill 48 bulldog group 4 root briar with a black vulcanite fish tail saddle stem. Have enough left for one more bowl. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Dunhill_1950_root-bulldog48.jpg

Sam the Scamp is wanting more breaks from her babies. Being as much feral as not, she prefers to be outside. During her second break this afternoon, she had her first encounter with Daisy the Feral Princess. Daisy hates Sam, and there was a stand off until I broke it up. Sam ran to the door to go outside, and Daisy went to the kitchen to eat. Sam had three outside breaks today. The babies are getting bigger. One dark hair and one yellow baby have opened their eyes.
Sam&DaisyStandoff.jpg

HarryOpenEyes1.jpg

OrangeOpenEyes1.jpg

BabyHuddle1.jpg

A third of the way through this bowl of Watch City Original Crumb Cut in a 1950s-60s straight smooth brown Bertram 07 octagonal paneled billiard with a square shank and a tapered black vulcanite stem. I may end the day with this smoke.
Bertram_07 _panel_billiard.jpg

Tomato the Brave used to wear a bow tie courtesy of his former “owners”. Those “people” removed it when they decided that they didn’t own him any more. Tonight, we decided he needed one.
TomatoBTSide.jpg

TomatoBTFront1.jpg

Much later, Abner the Eager was comfortably relaxing outside when I heard howling noises. Harry the Hairy was moaning loudly, and Abner was growling back. They stopped when I got near them. Harry jumped down, I picked Abner up and brought him inside. Harry wanted inside, but that would mostly certainly be difficult because he’s an alpha male. But, he was happy to see me, and even happier when I fed him. Abner was happy to eat, and snooze on my lap.
AbnerLapFull.jpg

AbnerLap Awake2.jpg

Good morning,
Smoking a Pete Strand with MB symphony,Large mug of Yukon coffee, Enjoying a rare Sunday off from work! My wife informed me yesterday, that she`s not happy with all of the days and long hours I have been working lately. She `s also concerned about me being on pain meds most of the time. I have to figure out a compromise.The catering industry is very fickle, some weeks there`s too much work,some weeks there`s none.

Finishing the night of with some nightcap in the maiden voyage of my new Merchant Service Standard. Trying to study for my Certified Personal Trainer test that I'll be taking some time this month. View attachment 16685
I got the same pipe! I'm goi g to fire it up with some good old fashioned Prince Albert for the first dozen or so of smokes.

Good morning,
Smoking a Pete Strand with MB symphony,Large mug of Yukon coffee, Enjoying a rare Sunday off from work! My wife informed me yesterday, that she`s not happy with all of the days and long hours I have been working lately. She `s also concerned about me being on pain meds most of the time. I have to figure out a compromise.The catering industry is very fickle, some weeks there`s too much work,some weeks there`s none.
I was in a bad car accident in 2011. My spine was injured and I ended up with permanent nerve damage. There are times when I feel like there is a blow torch on my legs and a knife ripping in the back of my right thigh. I was on opioid pain meds for a long time. I told my doctor I wanted off of them because I was noticing that if I didn't pick my prescription up in time to where it was more than three days without my meds I was getting really sick. Like I had the worst flu and my anxiety was way up. This went on for about six months. I did not like that feeling. So my doctor asked me what I wanted to do, I said I want to stop taking the medication, he said my pain will be pretty bad but he would help me with other medicines. So that's what I did. I felt horrible for almost a month! But now, I refuse any pain meds with narcotics in it. I've had a few teeth pulled and the dentist sent the prescription to my pharmacy for an antibiotic and codeine. I refused the codeine. I never want to feel that withdrawal again lol.