What are you smoking?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Having been at the briar for nearly 20 years now on and off, one, eventually, gives blending a go to greater or lesser degrees of success. At the beginning we may come up with the odd, unusual and the dear God, this tastes like old gym socks and burns like a wet blanket!
That my Brothers is not the case with Xb3.

I have three in the series of McClelland’s Grand Orientals, Black Sea Sokhoum, Katerini Classic and Yenice Agonya that I had acquired at a ridiculously low price of three of four dollars a tin (funny story behind that one Gents) and cellared for a rainy day. I surmise the desperation on the part of the original location’s salesman with the price of 12.50 per tin was the fact that when opening a tin of said tobacco the Genie who’s name be KETCHUP!! Springs forth and that dirty Djinni gives it to you like a daemon up the nose!

I, after some research and no great deal of airing out to dispel that Loki like trickster of a tang was introduced to the other side of the Balkans I so enjoyed. The mild and subtle mystery, the curry and spice of the overlooked supporting actress of our luxurious lady Latakia now stood in ready contrast and cohabitation of that sweet union, we, the Brothers of Briar, enjoy with every pipe full of our favorite Balkan.

So.. the wheels begin turning (squeak, squeak, squeak) and I get some Latakia for blending and after GREAT thought and consideration (coin toss) I blended the Black Sea Sokhoum, Yenice Agonya and the Latakia into equal parts on the 14th of this month and set it up in my trusty Mason jars to marry up until tonight to enjoy before my nightcap of Chianti. I was pleasantly surprised. I was a bit worried about the lack of moisture but the reassurance of just the slightest hissing a third of the way through my CC Millennium dispelled that, if it is talking in a chimney there is no need for rain on the plain. Cool burn, in fact after a false light and a tamp it required no second or third and burned to a nice white ash with neary a dottle to mention. I had planed for our lady Latakia to steal the show so that is why she was a third of the performance to the other two and it worked out perfectly, She is still center stage in a threesome with the other two, singing their Sirens song so sweetly. Strong, earthy with a symphony of curry and spice and all that is nice. Gents… we have a winner. From the roots of the components of this blend and my travels in those lands, Experimental Batch Three, I name thee, Pamukkale Promenade, after the thoughts a man will have watching all the pretty girls walk by in various states of nakedness, on a warm evening as the sun sets on a place in time when many a man, be he conqueror or slave have had exactly the same thoughts and intentions. :king:

A thick walled Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman with a Walker Briar Works Forever Stem, that I have dedicated to Dunhill Royal Yacht.

1985 MacBaren Navy Flake in a smooth three quarter bend early '70s Stanwell Design Choice 837 sitter.

Angler's Dream in a 1984 MM General cob.

Early start to the day! Some Dunhill in a Dunhill! Dunhill Flake in my new Dunhill Cumberland pot. :p

Dunhillgrp4CumberlandPot1.jpg

Westminster, in a Sea Rock GG49.
Earl Grey on the side. 8)

John Patton Virginia Squire in a 1970s smooth straight grain Savinelli Oom Paul Non Pareil 9504.

Presbyterian mixture in a Charatan Special Extra Large Free Shape.

My sixth bowl of Red Rapparee in a Relief Grain 2109 DC bent bulldog. VERY TASTEY VaOr,

Louisiana Red in a 2002 smooth Rinaldo Silver Line 3 EGER 05 paneled horn.

Thanks to a friend, I am smoking 1947 Sir Walter Raleigh in a beater 1979 Aalborg natural freehand made by Nording. And drinking hot tea, courtesy of the wife's grocery shopping. But I'm doing my part: I lit my own pipe! 8)

GL Pease Union Square in my Sav Rusticated 320

DSC_0173.jpg

Got a bit of JKP kicking in my L'Anatra diplomat. Nice little white Burgundy aside...

...final pipe of the evening...Revor Plug (1996) in a L'Antra smooth Canadian... :cheers:

Life of a pipe smoker is a journey, not a destination…

Stonehaven in a smooth 2002 medium bend flame grain Rinaldo Collection Silver Line 10 Egea 03 Titania.

Status
Not open for further replies.