What are you smoking?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Borkum Riff Bourbon in a 1980s Peterson 314 Full Bend black Sandblast system pipe.

1980s Sir Walter Raleigh in a smooth three quarter bend 1979 Ben Wade Golden Matt freehand sitter.

Capstan Yellow in a smooth briar calabash shape 1984 Fero Danese made in Italy.

MacBaren Scottish Mixture in a smooth full bend 1977 Crown Coachman 215 egg (Charatan second).

I forgot to mention this in my posts on this page. Some of you have seen my thread where I review Sutliff Private Stock Blends. Well, today, I got 11 tins of various MacBaren blends to smoke and review. When I've smoked enough of them amidst my regular stuff and more SPS blends to come, I'll create a review thread for the MacBaren products I got.

JimInks":fr8lxhdk said:
MacBaren Scottish Mixture in a smooth full bend 1977 Crown Coachman 215 egg (Charatan second).

I forgot to mention this in my posts on this page. Some of you have seen my thread where I review Sutliff Private Stock Blends. Well, today, I got 11 tins of various MacBaren blends to smoke and review. When I've smoked enough of them amidst my regular stuff and more SPS blends to come, I'll create a review thread for the MacBaren products I got.
Jim...we all love ya...have you had a chest x-ray recently?  Seriously, I'm looking forward to your posts...smoke-filled as they will be.  Looking forward to your thoughts on the MacBarens.

JimInks":rkxq13vm said:

Well if you average being awake 14 hours a day and you average 35 minutes per bowl ( that includes loading, lighting and smoking ) you ought to be able to smoke around 24 bowls a day !! Depending on how many McBaren blends you got, you ought to be able to get 'em smoked in one day and write 'em up the next  :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
For me, I've only been able to average around 4 bowls/day this week ! Finishing up with some after dinner smoky/sweet, some McC's Bulk 2035 in my Growley pot :twisted:

pepesdad1":nf80lmeq said:
JimInks":nf80lmeq said:

Jim...we all love ya...have you had a chest x-ray recently?  Seriously, I'm looking forward to your posts...smoke-filled as they will be.  Looking forward to your thoughts on the MacBarens.
I had a check up about four months ago, and the doctor said, after checking my breathing and lungs, "I'm glad to see you're not a smoker." I just smiled and said, "I haven't had a cigarette in years." I didn't bother to tell him I was never a cigarette smoker.

Here's the list of what I got today:
Three Nuns, Capstan Blue Flake, Capstan Yellow Flake, Old Dark Fired, Navy Flake, Vanilla Cream, Virginia #1, Scottish Mixture, Plumcake, Dark Twist, and HH Vintage Syrian. I've been smoking the Capstan Blue, and not only have I been smoking ODF, but I've cellared 15 tins and a jarred a pound for aging. I'll reuse my review of that one. I've smoked one ounce of 6 year old Plumcake, but never smoked it fresh from the tin. I've been smoking Three Nuns since the early 1980s until mid-Spring, when I ran out of the VaKen version. I've had one bowl of the MacBaren version, and outside of the difference in the coin cut presentation, I haven't smoked enough to make a value judgement on the taste yet. The rest I've never smoked.

Before I forget and I know somebody will want clarification on my "coin cut" comment, this is my opinion on first sight of opening the tin. The coins are a little bigger than the other versions and darker, too. In the other versions, the perique and Kentuckys were in the middle of the coins. In this version, the Kentucky is spread out through the coin. I'll bet this ages well.

monbla256":gz8i57yy said:
JimInks":gz8i57yy said:

Well if you average being awake 14 hours a day and you average 35 minutes per bowl ( that includes loading, lighting and smoking ) you ought to be able to smoke around 24 bowls a day !! Depending on how many McBaren blends you got, you ought to be able to get 'em smoked in one day and write 'em up the next  :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I don't know how many bowls I smoke a day; I've never counted them or thought about it. I do know it usually takes me an hour to smoke a bowl and when I smoke while I work, it takes me longer because I'm often concentrating so hard on my work that my pipe goes out quite a bit, and I have to relight a lot more than when I'm not working. And I work a lot, so sometimes, I'm a slow smoker. Never been a fast smoker anyway. I've also figured it takes me at least five to seven bowls of a tobacco in the same pipe before I start getting ideas about how it really tastes. Unless of course, I really hate the blend.

Tabac Noir in a straight 1979 MM Legend.

...final pipe of the day...OGS in a L'Antra rustic billiard...:cheers: 

url=https://servimg.com/view/18428752/113]
l_antr11.jpg
[/url]

"MAN, THE CREATURE WHO KNOWS HE MUST DIE, WHO HAS DREAMS LARGER THAN HIS DESTINY, WHO IS FOREVER WORKING A CONFIDENCE TRICK ON HIMSELF, NEEDS AN ALLY. MINE HAS BEEN TOBACCO. "      
-JOHN BOYNTON PRIESTLEY

Wessex Dark Flake in a brown rusticated slight bend 1982 Savinelli Non Pareil 99 Dublin with a lucite ferrule and stem.

MacBaren Three Nuns in my trusty 1970s smooth three quarter bend Peterson System Standard 305.

After dinner smoke: Dunhill Night Cap in a Butz Choquin Fregate, wow this tobacco has a high nicotine.

BRG Mixture in a three quarter bend smooth 1985 Dunhill Chestnut 5202 with a cumberland stem.

Re-hydrated MacB's Navy Flake in a Peterson Mark Twain bent. Moisture level seems perfect, but something seems to have been lost, judging by the taste.

Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 1982 black sandblasted paneled slight bend Savinelli flat bottom sitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.