What are you smoking?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hearth & Home Butternut

Pipe of choice: Savinelli Unfinished Billiard. This pipe was sold with 11 fills and in hand looks " FUGLY " , but it's an excellent smoker. The briar I finished with Bee's wax and mineral oil, with over 500 uses the briar developed a dark chocolate color, but all the fills really stand out.

XmKj09s.jpg" style="width: 500px;height: 400px

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Hearth & Home Butternut
Pipe of choice: Restored LaStrada Simpatico Oom Paul pipe. Pipe was made in Italy and a popular brand sold throughout Europe. A pipe I need to smoke more often. Don't care for a rubber bit on this stem because of the type of button.

ZdGXQVt.jpg" style="width: 400px;height: 400px

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

If I may ask, LC, how do you use bee's wax and mineral oil? One is solid, the other liquid. Do you melt them together, apply them in succession, or do something else?

Idle thought: Ya' know, for those so inclined, I think we should show more patinized, if that's a word, pipes on this here forum thing. There's a strong showing here of pretty pipes, and new pipes, which is cool, but I have always had a soft spot for the appearance of a well-used briar. Polished patina on a smooth pipe, one that's been carried and used repeatedly for years, makes my aesthetic gland tingle. Unfortunately, having a fair-sized collection in rotation tends to make these pipes scarce, at least in my case. They all remain somewhat "pretty." Unless I count cobs, I don't really have a pipe that qualifies, unless it's an old Dunhill Shell I've had since '78. Trouble is, it's sandblasted, so it doesn't have the "look" and never will. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

...Player's Navy Cut in a Don Carlos smooth apple... :cheers:

Richard Burley":5siowgio said:
If I may ask, LC, how do you use bee's wax and mineral oil? One is solid, the other liquid. Do you melt them together, apply them in succession, or do something else?
I've used this combo for many years and it keeps the briar looking well polished and the stem. Also, keeps the Vulcanite and Ebonite stems from ever oxidizing. The Bee's wax is Food grade which I purchase in a paste like form. The same Bee's wax that's used on wood cutting boards for food preparation. The ratio is 75% Bee's wax and 25% Mineral oil. After each time I smoke a briar I use a microfiber cloth with a dab of my mixture. Yup, I use pipe cleaners after every use. A bit much but now retired/disabled and I have plenty of time on my hands.

I totally agree with your statement below!!

KTtR8jT.jpg" style="width: 400px;height: 400px

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

My Budd II which is my own blend with two different cigar leafs & Virginia, Black Cavendish and a bit of Turkish. This batch has been aged for just over 5 years.

Pipe of choice: the Meerschaum Egg/Eagle Claw pipe I purchased in an open air market in Turkey, the year 1987. The pipe is developing a nice caramel color. This pipe has been smoked over 4,000 times in the past 30 years. I finally took a picture to post.

eG0gU7j.jpg" style="width: 600px;height: 400px

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

[ Anyone know what I'm talking about?[/quote]

I do know what you're talking about and I agree. I have several pipes 35 plus years old with blackened rims and I'm proud of them. When I see an estate pipe with a clear rim I wonder if they ever smoked them. I fill my pipes overflowing with tobacco to get every last morsel of smoke, and charring be damned.

Slowroll":fiyts3up said:
I do know what you're talking about and I agree. I have several pipes 35 plus years old with blackened rims and I'm proud of them. When I see an estate pipe with a clear rim I wonder if they ever smoked them. I fill my pipes overflowing with tobacco to get every last morsel of smoke, and charring be damned.
Everyone is different I guess. Even my first 3 briars purchased back in 1969 have no scorch or burning on the rims. I pack fairly tight and keep the tobacco about 1/4" from the top. Also, the Bees's wax mixture I use protects the rim from burn marks. I still at times smoke my 3 original briars.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":gjo4qzks said:
Slowroll":gjo4qzks said:
Everyone is different I guess. Even my first 3 briars purchased back in 1969 have no scorch or burning on the rims. I pack fairly tight and keep the tobacco about 1/4" from the top. Also, the Bees's wax mixture I use protects the rim from burn marks. I still at times smoke my 3 original briars.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
It just never occurred to me that a blackened rim is a bad thing. Now, cleaning the airway is a different story. I scrub that with multiple pipe cleaners after every smoke. I figure whatever doesn't touch the smoke doesn't matter.

Slowroll A blackened rim is not a bad thing at all. For me it's just the way I personally keep my pipes.

John Patton's Storm Front

Pipe of choice: finally took a picture to post. This Bjarne was given to me as a gift by Bjarne in 1988 while I was living in Europe. He was vacationing on the Island I was living on at the time. We became good friends until his untimely death. This pipe is dedicated to Burley Blends and is an outstanding smoker.

eQ6E7Vb.jpg" style="width: 700px;height: 400px

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Half way through this bowl of Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem. A can of the very delicious Hansen's Mandarin Lime soda made with pure cane sugar is my drink. Watching the Braves-Cubs game.

Now smoking Peter Stokkebye Pistachio (No.27) in a 2003 medium bent Ural meer with a lined and etched egg shaped bowl with a silver band and a pearl brown acrylic stem.

Carter Hall, just opened this Mason jar dated 2007

Pipe of choice: Recently restored Yello-Bole Imperial with a new hand cut Ebonite stem. The second time I've smoked this pipe since it's restoration. First smoke was very good.

p6LKib2.jpg" style="width: 700px;height: 400px

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Listing this a few minutes early on this hot and humid day: 2012 Anniversary Kake in a smooth medium bend 1979 Chippendale (Charatan second) Rhodesian 49 with a black vulcanite stem.

...Sutliff Revelation Match in a MM Marcus... :cheers:

H&H WhiteKnight in a MM General pipe.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Now smoking Rich Dark Flake in a 1984 black sandblasted straight Dunhill Shell 4103 Billiard with a black vulcanite stem. A bottle of Cheerwine is my drink. Watching Gunsmoke.

Medal of Valor dated 2013 ( not the bulk version, not good )

Pipe of choice: Wire wheel rusticated Icarus Apple pipe. Another pipe I purchased new on eBay about 2 years ago at an extremely reasonable price.

SQiOQLj.jpg" style="width: 800px;height: 400px

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Just finished smoking D&R Acadian Bright in a 2015 smooth unfinished Savinelli 320KS author with a black vulcanite stem.

Part way through this bowl of Penzance in a 1990s smooth Peterson Captain Pete XL80 bulldog with a black vulcanite stem and p-lip. Ice water and bergs is my evening drink.

Status
Not open for further replies.