What baccy do you use to break in your pipe?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokntaz

Reaction score
Curious to see what others use to build the carbon on your new pipe? I'm guessing an unassuming blend is the best unless if you already know what you're dedicating the pipe to.

I use whatever I plan to smoke in it. I do make sure that I keep the pipe cool until it builds up some cake though.

I'm with Mike on this one. If I don't know what I plan on smoking in a new pipe, I stick to an unscented/unflavoured Virginia. Aparently it builds the best cake?

I use a neutral tobacco that builds cake quickly. Lately, it has been GLP Cumberland. That lets me to get to know the pipe before dedicating it to Va or to Latakia blends.

<a href='/u191' rel='nofollow' title='Viewing profile: Wet Dottle'>@Wet Dottle</a>":4xqznmef said:
I use a neutral tobacco that builds cake quickly. Lately, it has been GLP Cumberland. That lets me to get to know the pipe before dedicating it to Va or to Latakia blends.
Interesting you should mention Cumberland, WD. I've been smoking a healthy-sized sample Ken sent me a while back and even though it's not in new pipes, I've noticed the cake building up rather fast. I'll have to try it in my next new pipe.

Natch

IMHO I find that VA smokes a littler hotter than the others especially VA Flake. VA ribbons a little less.
I choose to break a pipe in with something basic.
I hit it with Prince Albert. It burns even cool and smooth. A few bowls later I then decide what it will be. For me there is no point in smoking sophisticated stuff in a new pipe as I find I smoke more wax, varnish, stain etc than anything else. Carbon coated bowls don't help much either.
I have 4 basic splits, Lat blends, VA, Burley and VAPER.
I then see which group does the best in the pipe, Lats will be my last stop if all else fails as the ghost tend to hang a round for while spooking anything else I put in it soon after!

Interesting you Gents mention Cumberland. It is also a burley base and Have broke some in with blend after JP sent me whole stack of it!
Bottom line you all mention slow and cool. These for me are the sacred words in pipe break in!
I also know I am being a bit scientific or analytical here, maybe Mudd is right! We bust in Pete 2010 Poy's th other day with VA's.

Piet Binsbergen":99n7qyng said:
IMHO I find that VA smokes a littler hotter than the others especially VA Flake. VA ribbons a little less.
I hit it with Prince Albert. It burns even cool and smooth. A few bowls later I then decide what it will be. For me there is no point in smoking sophisticated stuff in a new pipe as I find I smoke more wax, varnish, stain etc than anything else. Carbon coated bowls don't help much either.
I then see which group does the best in the pipe, Lats will be my last stop if all else fails as the ghost tend to hang a round for while spooking anything else I put in it soon after!

Interesting you Gents mention Cumberland. It is also a burley base and Have broke some in with blend after JP sent me whole stack of it!
Bottom line you all mention slow and cool. These for me are the sacred words in pipe break in!
I also know I am being a bit scientific or analytical here, maybe Mudd is right! We bust in Pete 2010 Poy's th other day with VA's.
I have to go with Piet here. I use PA Choice to break in all of my pipes. It seems to build a great cake, plus I love the Kak! :lol!:

New Smoker":c5v2tlsk said:
Piet Binsbergen":c5v2tlsk said:

I have to go with Piet here. I use PA Choice to break in all of my pipes. It seems to build a great cake, plus I love the Kak! :lol!:
You love the KAK???? NS
Now I am impressed, Like saying ........ "I love the Sh*t"........
your Afrikaans is brilliant brother well done, where did you learn that?????
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I pick up on a few things that you guys post here. Other languages are interesting to me. Plus Google translate is pretty cool too. Notice that I have started adding to my signature the "smoke what you like and like what you smoke in languages that some of you guys have sent to me. I thought it would be interesting to see how many different versions gets submitted.

New Smoker":y663eo0f said:
I pick up on a few things that you guys post here. Other languages are interesting to me. Plus Google translate is pretty cool too. Notice that I have started adding to my signature the "smoke what you like and like what you smoke in languages that some of you guys have sent to me. I thought it would be interesting to see how many different versions gets submitted.
I like it my man! Very cool to see all the different versions in your signature :D

<a href='/u1311' rel='nofollow' title='Viewing profile: bluedigital'>@bluedigital</a>":de17drnp said:
New Smoker":de17drnp said:
I like it my man! Very cool to see all the different versions in your signature :D
BD,Ek geniet die interaksie met nuwe kulture van mense. Jy kan baie leer van ander!

A robust English, because I like to smoke that wood. Nah, just kidding. I usually don't think about this too much. Just smoke what I got, whatever I feel like. It makes sense to go easy on the straight Virginias because of the higher burn temps do to higher sugar content, but with a fresh bowl wall, I smoke slowly and coolly anyway. Naturals. Nothing with cavendishes or flavorings. That would really be my only advice and no-go.

The only time I think about this a whole lot is when I used to get estate pipes with proprietary coatings as part of the refurbishing. Geez, do I EVER hate that stuff. They're all terrible. Talk about unnecessary gobbledegook. Some of the most beautiful pipes I've ever owned were ruined by that coating. I could never get that flavor out of the pipes, so I traded/sold them all.

Got sidetracked there...

New Smoker":kvklluqp said:
BD,Ek geniet die interaksie met nuwe kulture van mense. Jy kan baie leer van ander!
Dit is baie ware my vriend, hou daarby :D

New Smoker":5c4s1hrs said:
<a href='/u1311' rel='nofollow' title='Viewing profile: bluedigital'>@bluedigital</a>":5c4s1hrs said:
New Smoker":5c4s1hrs said:
Fantasties, Nuwe Roker, ons is trots op jou, hou so aan, ons hou van jou belangstelling!!!!
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
......Ns please translate for our brothers since you are now an Afrikaans expert especially your superb use of the tenses!!

Smoked half a bowl of Prince Albert in the pipe, burned a little hot for my liking but I will slow it down on the next bowl :cheers:

<a href='/u1335' rel='nofollow' title='Viewing profile: Smokntaz'>@Smokntaz</a>":k1lzdfzh said:
Smoked half a bowl of Prince Albert in the pipe, burned a little hot for my liking but I will slow it down on the next bowl :cheers:
How wet is that PA???
I have never hat it smoke hot, give it some airtime bro. I reason I break pipes in with it, is because it burns so cool!

Piet Binsbergen":l5ucjd2g said:
<a href='/u1335' rel='nofollow' title='Viewing profile: Smokntaz'>@Smokntaz</a>":l5ucjd2g said:
How wet is that PA???
I have never hat it smoke hot, give it some airtime bro. I reason I break pipes in with it, is because it burns so cool!
Not wet at all! I've had the pouch sitting on my desk for several months now. Could it be too dry?

New Smoker":akz2f25a said:
Poor guy! I had to give him the english version. He was completley lost! :|