What do you do for a living

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Josjor":kykn6mw9 said:
I own a music store. Band instruments, guitars, pro-audio, keyboards, drums.......that kind of music store. Been doing it off and on since 1984 and when my old boss decided to retire in '06, my wife and I bought the shop.

A really smart move: buy a retail shop that sells something no one needs to survive, just before a major recession.:D :shock: :roll:
Need to survive? No.

Need to really live? Yes.

My BA in music taught me a lot more than just the music

DrT999":8cbd0g9k said:
Josjor":8cbd0g9k said:
I own a music store. Band instruments, guitars, pro-audio, keyboards, drums.......that kind of music store. Been doing it off and on since 1984 and when my old boss decided to retire in '06, my wife and I bought the shop.

A really smart move: buy a retail shop that sells something no one needs to survive, just before a major recession.:D :shock: :roll:
Need to survive? No.

True dat, and I don't regret a thing. But as a retailer.........nobody ever died for lack of a saxophone. Musical instruments are discretionary spending and in a recession its one of the first things to go. '11 has been better than '09 or '10, but we are still a LONG ways from '08 numbers.

Hopefully the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a train.:D

Josjor":y20j85ts said:
DrT999":y20j85ts said:
Josjor":y20j85ts said:

Need to survive? No.

True dat, and I don't regret a thing. But as a retailer.........nobody ever died for lack of a saxophone. Musical instruments are discretionary spending and in a recession its one of the first things to go. '11 has been better than '09 or '10, but we are still a LONG ways from '08 numbers.

Hopefully the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a train.:D
Hang in there! The demise of the neighborhood music shops is terrible, along with all the other mom and pop businesses.

Josjor":9e08tzpd said:

Glad someone's selling the key to creative aural happiness... I'd shop at your store! :cheers: :cheers: You'll make it. 8)

Career Soldier here.

Originally an infantryman, reclassed to a more technical field now.

Stackle2":qo0uxqoc said:
Career Soldier here.

Originally an infantryman, reclassed to a more technical field now.
You, sir, do some real work!
salute.gif

The older I get, the more it seems that the Army is the place for me. I actually enjoy my work, I am good at what I do, & it provides for my family. Not a whole lot more that you can ask for, & certainly more than a lot of careers offer.

Never thought I would be a career Soldier, but I guess I recently made up my mind, as a week ago I reeenlisted again, for another 6 years, which puts me 3 years from retiremet. Not bad though, will retire at 42, my son will be 11 then, & I will be able to spend a lot of time with him.

On the other hand, the sacrifices are painful. I am almost done with a deployment, & I have an 8 month old son. Thank god for skype, but its bittersweet to watch your kids first time crawling on a laptop.

Good news is that the unit I reenlisted for doesn't go overseas, so the next few years I'll get to spend with my family.

First off, thanks for your service, Stackle.

Secondly, hang in there. I enlisted in the USAF in 1986 and there are quite a few days when I remember that I chose to get out in 1990 and I think to myself "I could have been retired right now" after a bad day of work.

I am a United States Marine. I enjoy it but it is stressful, though that is a good thing because it always gives me a great reason to smoke my pipes. Not that I really need a reason to pull out a pipe.

christeaux":d9jrx7xx said:
I am a United States Marine. I enjoy it but it is stressful, though that is a good thing because it always gives me a great reason to smoke my pipes. Not that I really need a reason to pull out a pipe.
Thank you for what you do. Pipe with relaxation in honor, sir. 8)

Im a diesel technician for the 3rd largest transportation company in north america. Ive been with them, ever since we were in a small 2 bay shop, now we are in a 16 bay, 12.5 mil. dollar facility. Ive seen alot of changes, both good and bad.

Thought I had already posted here .......must have been a different forum or I'm getting old.
I started in the work force when I was 15 years old and like a lot of you all, have done many things in my life to make a buck from dig'en ditches to bench tech. Hated most of it till I got a job at a trucking company as a loader and after a year they shoved in a cab of truck and I didn't get out of it for about 25 years. Pulled tankers, and dry vans mostly for a common carrier, local shag and OTR and then a Leasing company were I was leased to C&H sugar, Mobile oil, Kodak and ending with Coca Cola OTR. Being the hermit I am I loved driving for a living until the bottom fell out and DOT got nastier, etc. etc. and shortly after I couldn't pass a DOT physical anymore because my vision went. Got a job as a collector for about 2 -3 years and then my back went. I was diagnosed having Degenerative Disk and have been retired now for about three years.
I miss driving The Large Car (semi) but not the traffic or the people, had some good times and had some tough ones. But all in all I'm glad to be retired and not coming home after a trip with tombstones in my eyes.
I finally have time to do the things I want to do and take it easy. Life is good and simple.

I am a recently disabled welder. I hope to overcome my ailment, and get back in the game soon.

Starting a new job today as an ERM trainer for the big local hospital group.

It is a little complicated on the computer side of things, but the end result for you guys (the patients) is fewer times having to fill out that @#$%* clipboard of medical info.

I'm a network engineer and linux sys-admin for a medium sized telco in Southern Ohio - been here for 11 years. This has been my only post-college job.

I got my Cisco Certification (CCNA) about a year ago, and spend most of my time engineering or troubleshooting networks for small to medium sized businesses who use our fiber-based ISP service.

In layman's terms - I make the internet work.

I'm also the local Apple Guru, and provide top level tech support for in house Apple products, mac laptop and desktop repair, iPhones, iPads, etc.

Cheers!

welcome roogles,
Good to have an Apple Guru here, enjoy the forum.
DocW

docwatson":c0snrlb7 said:
welcome roogles,
Good to have an Apple Guru here, enjoy the forum.
DocW
Thanks Doc! Very glad to be around here. I'm learning so much and picking up information so fast I'm on a bit of an information overload.

Good folks here. :D