What do you do for a living

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm an institutional pharmaceutical rep by day and own a small catering company for fun.
Anybody love a good hot dog?

www.thehotdogspot.com

I was a Social Worker (specializing in the aged and disabled) for the last 42 1/2 years and I retired as of January 1st.

After committing a little time to reading this thread, I am utterly amazed by the diversity of this group. Absolutely incredible! What holds this group together is obvious: our love of pipes and tobacco! Well, I better add my two-cents here as well. I won’t bore you with all the jobs I’ve had in my life, but a couple of them do stand out for me. One of my more interesting jobs I had was that of a Peace Corps Volunteer in the Republic of Liberia. About eight months into my three year stint, a Liberian Master Sergeant decided he rather be president of the country and proceeded to organize and implement a coup. It seems that he thought that he was more suited to be Commander in Chief than a mere sergeant. The rest of my time in Liberia was interesting to say the least. After that, I got a real job (career type) teaching high school English and remedial and developmental reading for the next 28 years or so. Retired about three years ago. Retire is really a misnomer because I’m writing a novel now which takes up a big chunk of my time. The difference - and this is huge - is that I punch my own time clock now. When you’re teaching, your day is defined by the clock. Now I’m in control of that!

Im a CNC Machinist/programmer. I program and run Matsuura & Haas milling machines and also Electrical Discharge Machines (EDM), wire EDM and sinker EDM. I work for a golf ball company called Titleist...maybe you have heard of them :lol!:

I used to co-manage a music shop (instruments, not records) and repair everything from guitars to violins and trombones.

I have spent the last 4 years or so in banking. Briefly as a teller, then a vault supervisor, then 2 years as an ATM coordinator responsible for managing all the machines in my city and minor repairs. Now I am back in a branch as a Supervisor but I can't stand working for the man haha

I'm one of these guys:

Catfish-lawyer.jpg

PipeLeisure":wtdt1k4a said:
Im a CNC Machinist/programmer. I program and run Matsuura & Haas milling machines and also Electrical Discharge Machines (EDM), wire EDM and sinker EDM. I work for a golf ball company called Titleist...maybe you have heard of them :lol!:
You can't hook your friends up with "samples" can you?!? ;)

For my living, I ride motorcycles, backpack and deep woods camp, hunt deer, play with knives, ingest fine libations and gastronomic delights (many of which I prepare myself), enjoy fine cigars and pipe tobaccos, share my love with friends and family, and try to live a generally healthy and active lifestyle.

For work...I'm a manager at a lubricants manufacturer. We make and sell engine and industrial lubricants on a wholesale level. I've done the same in other industries...so I guess I'm a bidnessman. Part sales, part ops, part overseer. Small company, so many hats are worn.

Maybe someday I'll do something more inline with my lifestyle, ie guide work or experiential teaching. I like the people I work for, and they compensate me well enough that a life change seems like a big decision. I'm sure many of you know where of I speak...

I'm an electronics technician for a hydraulic fracturing (natural gas industry) company in the Marcellus Shale region of my home state of Pennsylvania. I'm sitting on a well pad right now in the middle of another 19 hour day. *le sigh*.... The thermos of strong coffee is about to be opened shortly. :bounce: :face:

I am the plumbernater. Got a plumbing problem troubling you, call the plumbernater and I will terminate your problem. And if I have to go and get parts I get to say" Ill be back " . I worked for other companys till the first of the year and work got real slow. I had a couple of side jobs so I did them when they were done I prayed for help and the phone has just keep ringing, so here I am doing my own thing.

Whatever :no: I am a pizza guy, I also spend around fifty hours a week in a lab at school. I am studying Medical Lab Technology, working on a MLT degree.

Blackthorn":s787497m said:
Currently looking for a part-time day job, but my full-time passion is music. I play bass in a local band.
Dude I live 10 miles from you....what band? I am working with a local guitarist on some stuff...mostly death metal though

Nice thread.

I am a managing partner in a small company with my father that does mergers and acquisitions, due diligence and property assessment for small and mid-sized precious metal mining companies. We do everything from mapping to soil sampling, drill project set-up and legal paperwork set-up. In a nutshell, I get paid to hike, eat in greasy diners, sleep in uncomfortable beds and help get the ball rolling for industrial jobs to be created.

I refurbish and repair old synthesizers, both digital and analog. I also play them in personal and collaborative band projects.

I am also a coffee roaster. I am currently training to roast fine medium-roast espressos for a small outfit here in Reno. I'm helping to show the world coffee doesn't have to be overroasted crap you dump tons of sugar and milk into. It's as refined as tea, tobacco, beer, wine and spirits.

I'm a contracted artist and writer on occasion, but far less these days as I have a great, budding career to pursue in the mining industry! :D

Historian, specializing in 20th century Britian, but I've taught almost everything except Latin American and African American courses at some point (along with basic PoliSci & Philosophy). After a few years of 1 year jobs (upstate NY, Charleston SC, western PA, central Florida) I landed in New Orleans, where I stayed until Katrina flooded the University and 60% of us were laid off for a year. Happy to be in W-S, NC now.

For fun, I've run written/run an internet glossary, written a wine column, painted, etc. Glad now to be devoting a lot of attention to the pipe again!

I own a music store. Band instruments, guitars, pro-audio, keyboards, drums.......that kind of music store. Been doing it off and on since 1984 and when my old boss decided to retire in '06, my wife and I bought the shop.

A really smart move: buy a retail shop that sells something no one needs to survive, just before a major recession.:D :shock: :roll:

nauticalwheeler":hz4ddm4z said:
Please don't hate me. I am a ........banker. :|
I will save my disdain for the doctors, lawyers and politicians. Banker is an honest profession.