What made today worthwhile for you?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
puros_bran":9tt8016b said:
Lots and lots of people that drive for a living, but not many Truckers left.
And if you drove I-55 through Southeast Missouri (Cape Girardeau in particular) in the late 80's & early 90's - then you definitely heard me on Ch. 19. If so, then of course you also heard me playing (over the CB) 'The Beer Barrel Polka' on my Korg Synth back then. :lol:

Ahhhhh, the good old days.

puros_bran":8k84qbj6 said:
The schools teach the bare minimum to get you legal and the companies have what amounts to trainees training...

Lots and lots of people that drive for a living, but not many Truckers left.

I don't aim that at you friend.  Deregulation and the ever increasing noose being tightened around the drivers neck destroyed what was once a good gig.  
When I started it was considered rude to not have your cb on, to pass a broke down driver, to cut a load line, to park in a fuel island.
 When I was put out the truck it had got to the point where no one would give you a bear report or tell you about a back-up or if the coupes was open or nothing.  Nobody even hollered on the cb to see if a driver was okay because most trucks don't even have cb's and it's no big deal to park on the fuel island for a '30 minute' break..because backing into a hole is too hard.

And I still sit here pining because I want to get back out there.. Hard headed idiot. Lol
Oh, I know exactly what you mean PB. When it comes to parking on the fuel island, I get right out of the truck and walk up and bang on their door. Least they could do is move up to the line to begin with.

Another pet peeve are drivers who roll through the WIM below the posted requirement. Then everyone behind them is forced to roll across below speed and risk getting pulled in.

All in all though, I spend more time working alone than in previous jobs, and that is a big plus for me.

Just one time I wish they'd stop the line, drag the moron out of his truck, and police brutality his butt.

Speaking of scales.. Those 'new' scales on the Tenn/Alabama line on 65 north.. We had been doing the New Orleans to Kentucky shuttle. Drive to New Orleans, unload horses, sit there all day,reload different horses, come back to Kentucky. We ended up with one Give Away on the return trip resulting in some extra time to kill. We ecided to stop in Cullman Al for a steak dinner.. When we left Co-driver said 'you wanna finish it up?' Eh whatever, let's go.. I jump in the truck and take off and guess what? Those scales they'd been building were open, first day. Not a soul said crap on the cb. Guess where my logbook was.. Leaving Kentucky headed to New Orleans. Oh Crap!!! I was legal, I'd been off for like 17 hours when I took the wheel..but my book didn't show it. And the boss had said "the next ticket of any kind from any body will result in someone getting fired" because we'd had a rash of stupid tickets.. Just like this one was going to be. That boy asked where my book was. I laughed and told him he really didn't want to see it. When he asked why I told him straight up what the deal was.. He takes out an inkpen and starts asking me for times and locations.. He is filling my frikkin coloring book out. I was tripping out, I'd never even heard such before. Lol. He gets Cullman down about the time his Sgt comes out and asks if there's a problem.. He says "No Sir," Looks at me and says "Have a safe night driver".

puros_bran":32fvqku3 said:
Just one time I wish they'd stop the line, drag the moron out of his truck, and police brutality his butt.  

Speaking of scales.. Those 'new' scales on the Tenn/Alabama line on 65 north..   We had been doing the New Orleans to Kentucky shuttle. Drive to New Orleans, unload horses, sit there all day,reload different horses, come back to Kentucky.   We ended up with one Give Away  on the return trip resulting in some extra time to kill. We ecided to stop in Cullman Al for a steak dinner.. When we left Co-driver said 'you wanna finish it up?'    Eh whatever, let's go.. I jump in the truck and take off and guess what?  Those scales they'd been building were open, first day. Not a soul said crap on the cb.   Guess where my logbook was.. Leaving Kentucky headed to New Orleans.  Oh Crap!!!   I was legal, I'd been off for like 17 hours when I took the wheel..but my book didn't show it.  And the boss had said "the next ticket of any kind from any body will result in someone getting fired" because we'd had a rash of stupid tickets.. Just like this one was going to be.   That boy asked where my book was. I laughed and told him he really didn't want to see it.  When he asked why I told him straight up what the deal was.. He takes out an inkpen and starts asking me for times and locations.. He is filling my frikkin coloring book out. I was tripping out, I'd never even heard such before. Lol.  He gets Cullman down about the time his Sgt comes out and asks if there's a problem.. He says "No Sir," Looks at me and says "Have a safe night driver".    
PB, I think that is the finest example of southern hospitality I have ever heard.

I hate paper logs, but sometimes QUALCOMM goes down, and I am forced to whip out the ruler.

Just North of Cullman is where I was born. They set up portable scales sometimes there in the Decatur area, just north of the river. I'm not so sure Alabama DOT would handle it the same way though.

Hope you get the chance to get back out here soon. You got another steak dinner coming your way when you do!

Let's revive this thread and it's intention.

So what made your day worthwhile today (yesterday/last week/etc).

Me, wrote another tune for an upcoming project (as soon as I finish the present one). Very emotional and expressive. Anytime I'm in a creative mood is good juju.

Plus did a bunch of household/maintenance tasks that have been waiting. Fortunately my knee has been much better lately and I'm able to get around  without too much grief. Recovery has been a bit slow, but it's stiff more than sore now.

Simple stuff for sure, but very satisfying. Doesn't take much to put a smile on my face.

So howzabout you?

Cheers,

RR

Sigh...................

ok......

Didn't kill as many animals as I dreaded having to, worked on one wing of the barn and it didn't rain.

Vegan supper for me tonight. And beer..........

Nice sunset, new hope for tomorrow!

Taking my new Ferrari out for a spin with my gorgeous 25-year old mistress . . . . No wait, that wasn't me, that was someone else :D

Yesterday, spending some QT with my family. Today, well it's too young to tell...

I woke up this afternoon after my treatments to find a therapy cat curled up in my bed with me. Apparently he got loose in the hospital and decided to spend the afternoon with me. Made my whole day.

TMacphersonNH":6nu9nemc said:
I woke up this afternoon after my treatments to find a therapy cat curled up in my bed with me. Apparently he got loose in the hospital and decided to spend the afternoon with me. Made my whole day.
:D Animals are wonderful! My little dog always knows when I am sick, he won't leave my side. I hope you will get better soon.

Yes. My Braddach always knows after my treatments to sit with me and my blanket. His unconditional love is one of the most extraordinary cures I have available.

image.jpg

TMacphersonNH":i21ohbei said:
Yes. My Braddach always knows after my treatments to sit with me and my blanket. His unconditional love is one of the most extraordinary cures I have available.

image.jpg
Most excellent!!

I do believe THAT is what made my day worthwhile!

Just excellent.................

The company I drive for just issued me a brand new red 2016 Freightliner Cascadia Evolution with a Detroit DD15 engine, and I am stuck in Shreveport eating Cajun food, and waiting for a load. It's been a vicious sensory cycle of Jambalya, Etouffee, and the smell of adhesives and sealants used in the construction of my new shiny rig.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bhGhKmrxgFQ" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Finished up a busy week at the brewery. Knee is stiff, but nothing that has prevented me from performing my due diligence on tasks. 

Reached a milestone in the new big musical project. Much done, yet much left to do. However, it's gaining momentum. 'nuff said there.

Apart from that, no windstorms, floods, earthquakes, eruptions (all of which we're subject to here in the PacNW). So anytime one of those isn't a part of the equation it's automatically a good day!

:D 

Cheers,

RR

I have a service at the nursing home on Fridays, and that is always a good experience. About half the residents show up. Today was James of Jerusalem, so easy preaching points to pull together...

Another wonderful day of studying the Human Condition.... Totally enjoyed the observations of action/reaction involved in communications........

Fascinating day. Very fun!!

Finally made it back to Knoxville and got the rest of my stuff out of my old tractor, and got it turned in. The last time I was this happy to get rid of something, was when I got divorced back in 93.