What made today worthwhile for you?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Visited our daughter and grand boy. He's not quite 3 mos. old and has doubled his body weight and added a couple inches. (16 lbs and 25")  He can howl like a little wolf. After he's been fed, he coos contentedly. So I would softly go, "WooWooWooooo," and he would chortle and reply in kind. Also brought Mom and Dad a nice take out dinner for their enjoyment.

After enjoying a very wonderful first smoke in an Orlik Prince I began searching in earnest to learn more about the pipe side of Orlik since I only considered them a tobacco company and mainly OGS for me.

Finding thet began making pipes in the 1890's was a shock and that the Cadogan Group (they seem to buy out many fine old pipe companies and lower the quality thet were known for) I searched for another pre-Cadogan era pipe.

I did not expect to find what I found but here it is an original L&A Orlik with hallmarked silver band (hope to date it from the hallmark) in the original leather case and its original amber stem, it is a wonderful day!
banjo

ade255d4c357ae172a2deee0b7d970e05ef54d6.jpeg

Got buzzed by a 747 today!

The local Champion Golf course has an annual Boeing event every year, and one of the highlights is to have a 747 buzz the course at a few hundred feet!

It's always cool to see these mammoth aircrafts flying so low, with the ear-splitting sound following a few seconds later and today was no exception. In fact my brewer ran out terrified on the loading dock as he'd never seen this before. Guess he thought it was a terrorist attack, except that there's no tall buildings to fly into here in the sticks!

Still, I'm in awe of the flying skills of these pilots as they must have a very small area in which to do this. Never gets old!

:bom:

Cheers,

RR

hmm got up at 6am, went to work. had a god awful day. I plan care for people who don't have much time left on this planet, days can be terrible by proxy meeting patients and their loved ones who are having the very worst days of their lives.

but after 8 hrs I came home, my wife had a half pint of wine poured, and I had an amazing cuddle from my 5 yr old son, his squeezes can just melt away the very worst a day throws at you.

now I'm sat here drinking wine and reading BOB.

gonna try a new blend tonight when hes asleep and the decibel level reduces a little

Just had my rear deck refinished. My next door neighbour is in the painting biz and had one of his guys do this. Took but 2 days to prep and re-stain, and it looks great.

Had this done a few yrs ago, but it had faded and needed another treatment. And since it exceeded my skills I had a professional do it. And yes, he cut me a deal.

Should be good for another 2 years or so.

:sunny:

Cheers,

RR

Wrote another 2 hot Surf tunes this weekend, after being in a simi-dry period. I feel like if I'm not writing I'm stagnating!

Also- last night somewhere in the wee hours the next door neighbor's dog started barking. This was a very distinct bark too, unlike anything I'd heard before. More like a warning bark. Very frantic, with growling.

This is an outside dog, and he doesn't usually bark unless it's a critter that has entered his area. Being a rather light sleeper, I heard it plainly and also heard his chain being pulled around as he must have been patrolling his perimeter. After 10 min or so this ceased and I fell back asleep.

Just a few minutes ago I went out to get the mail, and the neighbor who owned the dog apologised for the disturbance. He went on to say that he heard the barking and went out on his upper deck with a flashlight and a gun, thinking that there may be a bugler.

What he discovered was a young black bear climbing my tree in my back yard! He said it wasn't very large and showed me the size with his hands. And that his mother must have been nearby, so didn't go down for fear of her lurking somewhere nearby!

By this time his dog had quieted down, and he left the bear to do whatever he or she needed to.

Can't say I found any marks on my tree, but glad I wasn't leaving for the brewery just then! I guess they don't call my neighborhood Wilderness Rim for nothing!

:shock:

Cheers,

RR

Watching my two year old son try to walk in my big work boots. Already thinks he's a man. :)

Well.........we didn't start off so well today.

Had a power outtage around 2 AM which lasted until around 8 AM. Not terrible, and certainly not in the league of our friends in Hurricane Matthew's path who may be without power for weeks. So wtf do I have to complain about, eh?

Anyhow, had a way great meeting with my studio engineer about the current surf project. And decided to add my new 2 tunes to this project. It would be a shame not to include them.

Cheers,

RR

Great weekend for tunes. Had a fun little ditty fall into my lap Sat - just a laid-back travis style fingerpicking number. Just sat down and played it like I'd known it all my life. Lots of fun to play. Plus wrote the lyrics to another number I'd composed last week. Both will be part of this big acoustic project I've been working on.

Cheers,

RR