What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
images

Got this as a Christmas gift from my co-workers. The "expert" opinions rate it about 3 out of 5 stars. Drinking it neat was not my cup of tea. I have enjoyed a couple already with two ice cubes. Not bad in my book.

This stuff floats my gizzard. Gift from girlfriend, a Kaintuckian. Didn't know bourbon could be so good.

bourbo10.jpg

A small tradition, each Christmas I buy a bottle of a "higher" grade of spirits and take it up to the shop (my motorcycle shop friends). We pour a shot for everyone and salute the season. Sometimes we even have an extra shot, in case we missed someone. This year I bought a bottle of George Dickel "Barrel Select." This is VERY good stuff. It beats all of those Beam small batches all to heck...maybe even farther than heck. Mid $30's in price, about the same as the Beam crowd, but much better. I always liked Dickels, this one is just better.

Just opened a bottle of Jameson (12 year old).

Not a huge fan of peat, so I tend to go with the Irish brands.

NICE bottle, Harlock999. Love those Islays. I wasn't near any good scotch this holidays, so I'm envious.

Richard Burley, check out this review page. I've found their ratings to be relatively reliable over the years. Could be that we just so happen to have similar tastes, but maybe something you could use. I wrote off Wild Turkey because of all the meathead bravado I heard as a kid from my dad's hunting buddies. It's one of the worst aspects of whiskey. Then I had Russell's Reserve, and I changed my tune. Now they're one of my favorite American distillers.
http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/wild_turkey/

I did have some of that Beam cherry flavored stuff because it was all they had at their bar. Reminded me of codeine cough syrup from when I was a kid. Dumped it down the drain when nobody was looking. I cannot imagine how that stuff made it through test panels.

RR%20Front%20Backlit%20cropped%20and%20reduced.jpg

Wanted to go with rye this winter. To supplement my beloved High West Double Rye, both very cheap to acquire and wonderful to drink.

Zeno Marx":flx731tj said:
I did have some of that Beam cherry flavored stuff because it was all they had at their bar. Reminded me of codeine cough syrup from when I was a kid. Dumped it down the drain when nobody was looking. I cannot imagine how that stuff made it through test panels.
I agree with your opinion. I believe it's called "Red Stag." It was like drinking syrup.

High West is cheap where you are? They want anywhere from $75-125 a bottle for High West varieties here. Most are in the $95 range.

Mr. Zeno Marx, above: Cool site. Thanks. Yeah, I don't care much for any whiskey, actually, other than the exceptional. I, ah, "o'd'ed" on Laphroaig once and now can't get near scotch. Gives me the shudders to even think about it. Surprised I can even stand the smokiness of latakia. And I consider Wild Turkey and their Rare Breed to be raw and crude. But the Kentucky Spirit is awesome, and easily lends itself to my requirement that it be served neat. If I can't drink it neat, I don't want it. I am sure there are other great ones out there, and I would like to try them eventually, but this bottle should last me a while. Beer is my thing--tankard after tankard, forever. ;)

Zeno Marx":da2fpxkx said:
High West is cheap where you are? They want anywhere from $75-125 a bottle for High West varieties here. Most are in the $95 range.
I can get any High West for about $40 a bottle, give or take a few bucks... *shrug* My Double Rye was $38! I wonder if that has to do with my proximity to Utah... :scratch: ...though on the Internet shopping links, $32 is an average price.

Zeno Marx":nkc6k69u said:
NICE bottle, Harlock999. Love those Islays. I wasn't near any good scotch this holidays, so I'm envious.
Thanks Zeno, that bottle was my Christmas treat to myself. The Ila is good stuff, peaty, but a bit lighter than most Islays. Definitely enjoying it.

You guys always make me want a drink and then I buy a bottle and try to man up and drink a glass and I end up thinking "this stuff is VILE!" LOL I guess I'm just not a drinking man... a glass of Merlot is about as far as I can go.

Simple Man":k4tchox8 said:
You guys always make me want a drink and then I buy a bottle and try to man up and drink a glass and I end up thinking "this stuff is VILE!" LOL I guess I'm just not a drinking man... a glass of Merlot is about as far as I can go.
Drink a glass?! I can't do that either and wouldn't want to. I can't speak for others, but whiskey to me is meant for sipping. Tiny sips, just for the flavor. Little more than a shot glass amount will last me for the length of a football game or whatever. It's almost like taking dry snuff, as far as it being just a taste pick-me-up. I don't even drink enough to feel it. Beer is a completely different matter, and I like to wallow in it and conduct myself in a disgraceful manner until the police come.

Last whiskey purchase was some Weller's Antique Bourbon. Pretty good stuff for the price.

Richard Burley":5jdu19ul said:
Simple Man":5jdu19ul said:
Drink a glass?! I can't do that either and wouldn't want to. I can't speak for others, but whiskey to me is meant for sipping. Tiny sips, just for the flavor. Little more than a shot glass amount will last me for the length of a football game or whatever. It's almost like taking dry snuff, as far as it being just a taste pick-me-up. I don't even drink enough to feel it. Beer is a completely different matter, and I like to wallow in it and conduct myself in a disgraceful manner until the police come.
Well, there you go! I've probably been going about it all wrong. :lol:

Simple Man":wa3fcwi7 said:
I didn't get it either until recently, then it just clicked!
I like to sip along with some good cheese and cured meats. A pipe doesn't hurt either!

I almost started a thread about tobacco and "pre-game". Those threads about "finding the perfect smoke" or "what was it about that smoke that made it that much better than all the others" cause me to want to discuss the taste bud preparation part of the process. I feel it is an underestimated part of it all.

For myself, it is absolutely key to have something complimentary before I smoke or drink whiskey (I don't really drink any other alcohol other than a very occasional stout, porter, or cognac). I feel chocolate and/or espresso (or a like dark, dark roast) sets up a whiskey perfectly. If I can't have either of those, whiskey following an acidic meal is a runner-up. Italian dishes, if I'm allowed here the liberty to generalize with country, are best for me. Vietnamese, Thai, etc are the absolute worst to follow with whiskey. Mexican isn't far behind.

I find most people who have a strong distaste for whiskey don't know how to drink it (as well as suffer from poor bud preparation). That isn't a dig at them, either. I've never been able to master drinking wine. It's all in the breathing and transfer to tongue. It changes everything about the perception of a whiskey. Nothing too ground-breaking in saying that, but for those who haven't taken that process and made it muscle memory, whiskey can be a rough drink. And even if you learn how to drink it, that isn't any guarantee to liking it. It merely makes it possible for you to make a better informed opinion.

I'm an 'el cheapo' - bottom shelf stuff for my whisky. Last bought was Old Smuggler scotch which I love. Tastes like The Famous Grouse but richer and comes here in liter bottles (more than a fifth) at only $11.99.

For single malts I raid my father's liquor cabinet when I visit (it's fair, he keeps my pipe tobacco I bring down to smoke when visiting).