What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harlock999":nkbjmizp said:
I enjoyed a bottle recently, but I do prefer Laphroaig, by a considerable margin.
The Isla was definitely spicier, with more of a bitter finish, to my taste.
I love Laphroaig too, especially my bottle of 57.8% cask strength 10 year old. None of my friends like it though, that was where I got the campfire analogy, one of them told me he thought taking a sip of Laphroaig was like biting a campfire log.

Lupulus":mzbaoi4l said:
Harlock999":mzbaoi4l said:
I enjoyed a bottle recently, but I do prefer Laphroaig, by a considerable margin.
I love Laphroaig too, especially my bottle of 57.8% cask strength 10 year old. None of my friends like it though, that was where I got the campfire analogy, one of them told me he thought taking a sip of Laphroaig was like biting a campfire log.
:cheers:

Lupulus":e8jxw89r said:
Harlock999":e8jxw89r said:
And he doesn't like that sensation?? :scratch:

I remember a few years ago when I first discovered Laphroaig a buddy of mine who is into scotch said that it was like drinking sea water lol

Someone once told me that when it comes to whisky, it can't be any good if your girlfriend can stomach it!

Laziness, and an earlier than usual So.Cal heatwave found me buying whisky at the supermarket. Glenlivet 12...
Hmmm... A bit of a ”perfumey” finish at first, then... 8)
And I definitely need a drink tonight!

Wow, that's funny, I found myself at the supermarket last night too, staring at the meager single malt offerings. I went with Glennfiddich 12. Rather sweet, simple, perfumey, but not bad. Better than the blends and a lot cheaper than the Macallan or Dalwhinnie they had there.

I've been sipping on a bottle of "Backbone" bourbon for a week. It's pretty good stuff....I have doubts about it being a "bourbon" by definition. It's distilled in Lawrenceburg, IN, bottled in Bardstown, KY. It's 114 proof. Pretty decent, in the same strata as the small batch stuff coming from Beam and Co.

Larceny bourbon

I read good reviews, and with substantial rebates offered, I couldn't resist. The 750ml has a $10 rebate, and the 1.75L has a $20 rebate. After rebate, I paid $10 for the 750ml and $10 for the 1.75L. Believe me, I'm sorry I didn't buy two 1.75Ls, but I wasn't sure I'd like it. Don't be foolish in your math. Just buy the 1.75L to start. I honestly do not believe you'll be sorry.

It's a wheated bourbon, so if you like Maker's Mark, Pappy Winkle, Weller, etc, this might be something to investigate. I don't find it complex in flavors, but it does have a pure bourbon flavor with no kerosene or medicinal notes. It's smooth and of solid, good quality. In other words, it doesn't taste cheap or rushed. It has a nice, medium-length finish. Admittedly, the price (after rebate) plays a big part in my satisfaction. At $20 (regular price), I'd probably buy other whiskeys for the same price or for an additional couple of dollars, but I feel it can definitely stand firmly in that price range.

Glass note - which is what I call the smell of the glass once it is empty and dried from being too relaxed, or lazy, to go for a refill; and differs greatly from smelling the bourbon itself - is a a real pleasure. Charred wood resins and honeyed charcoal. It's almost too good. I've found myself sniffing the glass for tens of minutes afterwards rather than going for more drink.

Again, this is pure bourbon flavor. Not a lot of frills. The glass note is more complex than the drink itself. But that shouldn't be read as a problem. This would be a good choice for a nightly sipping whiskey; saving other whiskeys for their appropriate, special times.

The last whisky I opened (received as a gift, so I didn't buy it) was

Breckenridge Colorado Bourbon

A young whisky, with mint, orange, and corn on the nose, the mint and orange come out a little after a splash of water, but it definitely tastes "young." None of the strong wood notes from Barrel Proof whisky's (booker's, Rare Breed, etc.).

But, not bad...still enjoyable with a smoke.

I usually use my bourbon mixed and can't see a premium one for that. I like Early Times for mixing. Smooth, tasty item for the price. Manhattans are my go to with a sour or an old fashion in this kind of weather. For a sippin' one, I do have a Booker's on hand. OK, doesn't seem that special.

Don't care at all for blends -- especially Canadian Club.

March 1979 a 5th of Jack Daniels black label.
Don't remember much after that. :drunken: 

I buy a lot of my whisky from a nearby (~20mi?) Bay Area staple, K&L Wines.

Last purchase was a bottle of each of Ardbeg Ardbog & Uigeadail, as well as 3 bottles of '95 17yr AD Rattray Glen Elgin single barrel K&L Exclusive. The Glen Elgin is a Speyside, and while 55% cask strength, is probably the best whisky I've ever had. :drunken:

I purchased a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel last month. Awesome full bodied whiskey!

Dutch":3h8skpcw said:
I purchased a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel last month. Awesome full bodied whiskey!
That's good stuff! I bought a bottle and my wife tried it and claimed the rest of the bottle. Their small batch is really good too, and quite a bit less expensive than the single barrel.