Whats your pairing drink with tobacco?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacko

Reaction score
Folks

I did some searching and couldn't find much relating to the topic of pairing certain types of tobacco with drink. Personally I have had some great success with certain blends of English paired with coffee (cappuccino), iced coffee, beer (Guinness stout) etc. I would be interested in hearing if any BoB members have some hidden gems they would like to share? To date I have never found a tobacco that doesn't go well with a good cup of black coffee...

Full Virginas with Single Malts

Full Virginias or Latakia blends with Drambuie

Virginias with Spicy Bloody Marys or OJ-Campari

EMS cigars with lager

Maduro cigars with dark beers or Guiness

Any pipe tobacco goes well with a good cup of coffee for me as well

Scotch with English blends

Bourbon with Virginias ( Knob Creek is my favorite)

Coffee with either.

Earl Grey, Darjeeling and English Breakfast tea.
Depending on the blend, I like to choose a contrasting tea. For a heavier blend, a lighter tea, and vice versa.

RE: Virginias and Englishes

Espresso, or any really rich, very dark-roasted bean (black, no sugar or cream). The coffee or espresso is a great prologue. Then Whiskey of almost any variety to share the main course with the pipe. Also like to have a little high quality milk or dark chocolate on hand for that occasional nibble. It's a trifecta of accents to the pipe. And a cold glass of water for the stray cleansing. Begin again.

For me any good Coffee and any good Tobacco goes well

Harlock999":83u9rduh said:
Depending on the blend, I like to choose a contrasting tea. For a heavier blend, a lighter tea, and vice versa.
Harlock, any specific brands in particular? Do you put anything in your tea?

jacko":onbn9mwj said:
Harlock999":onbn9mwj said:
Harlock, any specific brands in particular? Do you put anything in your tea?
I usually just go for Twinings Tea, and I tend to use a good amount of sugar.

Coffee is my preferred beverage of choice. There is just something about the acidity that guarantees my enjoyment of the smoke through the bowls entirety. If I am in a the mood for a more potent libation, then I turn to Irish whiskey on the rocks or a nice Young's double chocolate stout works well.

skaukatt":azw9cwur said:
Port wine - seems to fit like a glove.
My sentiments exactly - a Taylor Fladgate LBV is ideal. Try the Noval Black - as good as it gets for an inexpensive bottle of tawny port.
Recently I've tried scotch with English blends. I picked up a "sampler" pack of The Balvenie line. Doublewood 12, Single Barrel 15 and next, the 21 year old PortWood. I can really taste some distinct flavorings in these.
I like coffee in the am but at night, a pipe and a bit of Caffe' Lolita coffee liquor.
I'm a huge fan of Sambuca and a cold pint but it was NOT a good combo with my selection of tobaccos.

skaukatt":gd8yh1an said:
Port wine - seems to fit like a glove.
Yes, for me too!
In the pm, a nice port and pipe are a good combination.
https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t10358-any-port-drinkers-out-there

I've yet to smoke a tobacco that didn't go nicely with Jack Daniels (though I'm sure they exist), and have of late been preferring Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey.

Interesting observation, Wayde, "I'm a huge fan of Sambuca and a cold pint but it was NOT a good combo with my selection of tobaccos."

I always have something to drink while I puff on my pipe, but in the evenings, where harder libations rule, I've found that a few of my favorite drinks just don't complement the tobacco. Ouzo or Pernod (anise liquors that tend to numb the taste buds, assuming I have any) are examples.

Natch