who are we really

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fellow pipe smokers are so seldom seen in public. This is the place to remind myself that I am not alone. Every time I see a fellow piper, I always tell them about this place.

We do have a great thing going here. Even if it is just a hilarious stage show for us lurkers. 8)

When I first found the forum, I was so curious about everything and read as much as I could about the topics on my mind. I didn't post a ton at first and for a few months I didn't get on the forum because I was so busy in my everyday life.

Now that I have rekindled my flame for pipes (pun intended), I have been drawn into the community of kind, generous, like-minded, and generous people. I have made a conscious effort to be more consistent in my time here and participating. With that being said, since being on here more, I have started to grow some friendships with people on the board. I do care when people are going through rough patches and I celebrate with them during the good times. Even if they are just acquaintances, I still feel a bond. Like when juanmedusa had his baby, I was so happy for him, and truly felt it (bombing him was just icing on the cake).

I feel as though I'm cared about as well. Case in point, when I just posted on the round table about getting a new fridge. It's not a super big deal but it was an accomplishment and another life-step for me. The brothers have posted support and congratulations. It's little things like that, the closeness of having shared thoughts, life events, feelings, rants, stresses, and sharing them.

I hope as I am on here more, that I get the chance to grow more friendships and hopefully, meet some of you in person one day.

Ozark Wizard":gbfirv2e said:
Juanmedusa had a baby?

The wonders of modern science.....................
Yes, I did. In fact, I'm still waiting for the wife to contribute something meaningful.

........said a complete moron. That clearly crosses into lunacy. And getting bombed in the manner I did wasn't so much icing on the cake as another small cake on top of my cake.

juanmedusa":oqog61a0 said:
Ozark Wizard":oqog61a0 said:
Juanmedusa had a baby?

The wonders of modern science.....................
Yes, I did. In fact, I'm still waiting for the wife to contribute something meaningful.

........said a complete moron. That clearly crosses into lunacy. And getting bombed in the manner I did wasn't so much icing on the cake as another small cake on top of my cake.

I love cake, great band....

As far as your wife having something to contribute, we'll just let that comment be your little secret, yes?

Good luck to you and your family, for the rest of your unnatural life. Children are like having little pieces of you future running loose upon an unwary world.

LOL!!!

It's interesting to consdier what qualities make a poster seem like a friend. One, I think, is personality. For example, Cart's personality shines through his posts and, though he brings a polished cantankerousness, to his notes, he seems like he'd be enjoyable company in person. Others share this quality. I began messaging a poster in Ireland, then we began exchanging tobaco and pipes. Most recently he mailed me a hand carved tamper which he made himself fromm a beechwood tree in his yard. It's a beauty with truly marvelous detail. If not for him, I'd never have had the opportunity to learn to smoke and enjoy Condor. So, yes, some posters can strike up a cyber friedship with brothers they may never meet. It's a good question, isn't it?

KevinM":q2dt65oa said:
It's interesting to consdier what qualities make a poster seem like a friend. One, I think, is personality. For example, Cart's personality shines through his posts and, though he brings a polished cantankerousness, to his notes, he seems like he'd be enjoyable company in person. Others share this quality. I began messaging a poster in Ireland, then we began exchanging tobaco and pipes. Most recently he mailed me a hand carved tamper which he made himself fromm a beechwood tree in his yard. It's a beauty with truly marvelous detail. If not for him, I'd never have had the opportunity to learn to smoke and enjoy Condor. So, yes, some posters can strike up a cyber friedship with brothers they may never meet. It's a good question, isn't it?
"Seems" is the key word here, actually I'm just as much of an AH as I seem to be.

Ron, you're just a big old softy and most of us know it!

As far as it goes for myself, I don't have many people I would consider friends. Most of the people I do know barely qualify for the time of day. However I have to say I have made friends with a few folks here and I don't bandy that word about lightly. These folks I would gladly go out of my way to try and help in anyway I could. Yes Ron you are one of them. My experience here has shown me that there are still decent people out there you just have to dig a bit to find them.

Jim

huffelpuff":rcs7jwe5 said:
Ron, you're just a big old softy and most of us know it!

As far as it goes for myself, I don't have many people I would consider friends. Most of the people I do know barely qualify for the time of day. However I have to say I have made friends with a few folks here and I don't bandy that word about lightly. These folks I would gladly go out of my way to try and help in anyway I could. Yes Ron you are one of them. My experience here has shown me that there are still decent people out there you just have to dig a bit to find them.

Jim
Ya really know how to hurt a guy Jim. :fpalm:

RobJ":9t7d2w2u said:
I really enjoy this forum and most everyone I've "met" here. I've been hanging in chat rooms, newsgroups and forums since the early '90s and get that being this is a virtual environment sometimes people aren't who I think they might be.
Same here I'm a pipe board junkie and I scan most of the pipe boards daily and I've been here since we came over from Knox and I've seen a lot of guys come and go. All the boards have a style and place and I will continue to enjoy reading and occasionally posting here. :shock:

Cartaphilus":tfy2p7d3 said:
give your first born male child as a offering...
Gladly, and would you like me to deliver him?

It's been over a month since I've logged in, and I've taken some time catching up this evening.  I chose your post to answer to, as you have that distinct skill of stirring my interest and the proverbial pot.  Yes, I do keep in touch with certain members, and I do count them as friends.  I find these associations important, as my personal life is very private, while my "professional" life is extraordinarily exposed.  I appreciate that I can have these associations and retain a sense of anonymity. In short, I appreciate the founders of this forum, and the members that make it a Brotherhood.  Thank you all.