2013 BoB Pipe of the Year (All Done)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PozzSka answered before I could. But yep it is pre-carbed. I would have answered sooner but I was outside taking it for a test smoke. It performed well, providing a nice dry smoke as advertised. I'm very happy with it after one smoke.

Mine finally arrived today. The delay was due to the major snow storm that slowed UPS deliveries. It is a very nice pipe and I highly recommend it.

I hadn't noticed that it was sent UPS, so I checked the dragon's lair -- while she had put out the huge number of packages accumulated in the campus post office, this had come separate and she wasn't here to do the mail Tuesday or yesterday.

The pipe looks good! Can't wait to start breaking it in

Ordered mine today, a bit late I know, but it's in the system.  I've had a Brigham church warden in my pipe rotation for a couple years now, so I'm used to their filter system.  I've found that if I run the maple rod under hot water for a few seconds, and run a bristled pipe cleaner through it, it can be used several times without notable changes in taste.  

Looking forward to breaking in a new pipe.

Natch

Mine came yesterday afternoon, and it smokes great. Draw is just a hair more restricted than I might prefer, but certainly not enough to affect the enjoyment of the pipe.

Personally, I'm using (and plan to permanently use) my pipe sans filter.

Smoked a half bowl in mine on the drive home to start seasoning it, and thought it smoked and felt great. I like the stem much more than the rather thick one on my Brigham prince, and nearly as much as the two Brigham Rhodesians I have.

Having ordered my POY the day it became available I figured I'd have a longer wait for it to get to me here but it arrived today ad I am smoking it now. The pipe is longer than expected but a nice flowing pipe. The stamping is on the bottom of the stem and simplistic. I hadn't owned a Brigham before so I did the check out of the filter system and like the design better than Savinelli's to be honest. The initial draw is tighter than the Savinelli filter but once the baccy got warm (maybe just the filter) the draw got easier. Obviously still tighter than no filter but still just fine. I put in McClelland Christmas Spirit and expected some bite but there isn't any (don't know whether to credit the pipe or baccy). It hangs easy. I haven't had to relight. And this may sound odd but I do a lot of the appearance factor by looking at my shadow on the ground and the pipe looks good hanging in the shadow. I still prefer my Peterson's but for this years POY I am very pleased. It's a quality pipe at an affordable price. Tomorrow I will try without the filter but I expect to like it better with like I do my Savinelli. Theres my thoughts.

Pulled the filter out and smoked it today. Smokes much better without the filter IMHO. I was worried it might be too open of a draw without it, but the stem is just right without the filter. Tight with it, perfect without it. Just my opinion FWIW. Still enjoying the pipe though.

VERY tempted to order a second one. Obviously I'd wait to let as many folks here get one that are interested, but if there are any left at the end of the month...well, it'll come down to how much I'm willing to irk my wife.

idbowman":vfbb7n26 said:
VERY tempted to order a second one.  Obviously I'd wait to let as many folks here get one that are interested, but if there are any left at the end of the month...well, it'll come down to how much I'm willing to irk my wife.
Just remember that it is easier to ask forgiveness that for permission. At least that is what I am told.  :lol!: 

idbowman":s15n1oxm said:
VERY tempted to order a second one.  Obviously I'd wait to let as many folks here get one that are interested, but if there are any left at the end of the month...well, it'll come down to how much I'm willing to irk my wife.
I'm thinking of this also idbowman. Kaiser, YOU THE MAN! THANK YOU! Being my first POY, I've been pretty excited about this all year.  :cheers:  Mine arrived last Monday, and was able to give it a go saturday. I was surprised it came in a tin, that's super cool! It looks great on my shelf. I got through half a bowl yesterday with some Old Dark Fired Ready Rubbed I ordered along with it, which I'm happy to say I like as much as the flake. I also picked up a tin of Solani Aged Burley Flake, I hope this will give me a taste of what burley tastes like. I don't mind the tighter draw at all. Thanks for the pictures swipple, it's been so long that I've put up a picture, it would take me an hour to figure it out again.  :shock:  I plan on finishing the last of the bowl of ODF later this morning. Thanks again Kaiser!  :D 

Forgiveness is one thing, paying off the medical bills from the 'rage beating' is another! lol

I'm still saving up my nickels and dimes following having to cover some 'surprise' Christmas bills, but rejoice with all y'all that got their orders in right at the get go. Kaiser did a noble job on this project...all our best to him as deserved.

Blackhorse":y8kah57y said:
Forgiveness is one thing, paying off the medical bills from the 'rage beating' is another! lol
Exactly, BH...exactly.

Finally received mine after about 2 weeks (approx 1 week due to the severe weather, according to UPS). I'll need to try it in the next couple days, but so far so good.

We have about a week left to get in on these guys and gals, hop on it.