Bulldog Pics

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simple Man":92hliu4a said:
Harlock999":92hliu4a said:
@Simple Man:
Thank you! But have you seen the chicken foot pipe...?
Yes I have... :shock:

EDIT: Harlock's got some really good taste in briars... except for the chicken foot! :lol:
Cheers, gentlemen! :cheers:

Dutch":e9mg9mk7 said:
Harlock, I'm curious, is there any way to know if Tonni Nielsen carved that bulldog? His pipes are bringing some high prices nowdays.
You know, it's often mentioned that P.H. Viggen of W.O.Larsen carved all of the nicer Bjarne's, but the stem button on this one looks nothing like the bit on the Bjarne "D" grade I posted a few months ago. So, using the theory that a carver's bit is like a "signature", these two would seem to have been made by different individuals. I've never owned a Tonni pipe, so I can't compare...

Harlock999":rspbpm4t said:
Dutch":rspbpm4t said:
Harlock, I'm curious, is there any way to know if Tonni Nielsen carved that bulldog? His pipes are bringing some high prices nowdays.
You know, it's often mentioned that P.H. Viggen of W.O.Larsen carved all of the nicer Bjarne's, but the stem button on this one looks nothing like the bit on the Bjarne "D" grade I posted a few months ago. So, using the theory that a carver's bit is like a "signature", these two would seem to have been made by different individuals. I've never owned a Tonni pipe, so I can't compare...
He seems to keep some visibility on the pipe show circuit. I'm sure if you could catch him at a show out on the West Coast, he would recognize his own work in an instant. Might even recognize the craftsmanship, even if it were not his own.

Dutch":ogrybgq4 said:
Harlock999":ogrybgq4 said:
Dutch":ogrybgq4 said:
He seems to keep some visibility on the pipe show circuit. I'm sure if you could catch him at a show out on the West Coast, he would recognize his own work in an instant. Might even recognize the craftsmanship, even if it were not his own.
Yeah, he was at the last Vegas show in November. I'll have to remember to ask him if he carved any of the Bjarne's if he makes the next show.

That is certainly a sweet deal Harlock! I love the cutty shapes, and I have never seen a bulldog done in the forward canted manner.

Very cool indeed! 8)

Harlock999":w03wuphq said:
I just got this little French made forward canted bulldog with a clear stem for $4.99! […]
That is so cool, one of the most interesting cheap pipes I´ve ever seen.
I don´t know - that Castello in the background either valorizes your french bulldog, but it´s also possible that it steals the show a little bit.

Anyway - congrats and thanks for showing the beautiful pic.

Kind regards
Thilo

Thanks Dutch and Thilo!
I like the fact that the $225 Italian pipe really smokes no better than a pipe that cost less than the amount I spend daily on snacks at work!
Two completely different beasts of course, and the Castello is definitely a more versatile tool, but still, le petite bulldog was a very pleasant find.

Thanks again, gentlemen!
Cheers,
Chris.

I said it before, I'll say it again: Man, you got some sweet doggies of a different breed there!

That's a great $5 pipe! And I'm with Thilo, the Castello 55 in the back is stealing the limelight!

s.ireland":8k6qwnz3 said:
That's a great $5 pipe! And I'm with Thilo, the Castello 55 in the back is stealing the limelight!
Well, that's what 55's do! They just can't help it... 8)

Sharp pipe for $5,,,the clear stem sets it off,,,really can't remember seeing a forward canted dog before.

This pipes lacks the traditional geometry so consequent, it´s a pleasure. The asymmetric shapes some russian pipe makers show nowadays are exeptionally impressive. (This is off topic - but have you noticed Boris Starkovs work?

Have a nice sunday and thanks for showing this,
Thilo

Schacht":ghboenkh said:
This pipes lacks the traditional geometry so consequent, it´s a pleasure. The asymmetric shapes some russian pipe makers show nowadays are exeptionally impressive. (This is off topic - but have you noticed Boris Starkovs work?

Have a nice sunday and thanks for showing this,
Thilo
Hi Thilo,
Wow, I had never heard of Starkov, but that's not surprising, as there seems to be more and more talented Russian and eastern European carvers everyday. That curved pipe is amazing! These guys are really expanding the boundaries of pipe craft at a remarkable rate. I've also seen an asymmetric pipe by Cornelius Manz that was really beautiful as well.
I love looking at these things...

Cheers,
Chris.

I, too, have noticed the Ruskies have been making some very strange off-center pipes lately, from an example like above where it's pleasantly "out of whack" to really abstract. I appreciate them all. 8)

Harlock999":uky8chzd said:
mark":uky8chzd said:
Sharp pipe for $5,,,the clear stem sets it off,,,really can't remember seeing a forward canted dog before.

Here's a forward canted rhodesian/bulldog of a different stripe:

It's a Grechukhin, and it's not mine...
Can I just say that Grechukhin has made his way to the top of my list of "pipe makers that I'd like to own work from?" 'Cause he has. And that, sir, is one fine Grachukhin.