McClelland Going Out of Business

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't help thinking that doom and gloom/the sky is falling/worst case scenarios/conspiracy theories are being bandied about here and on other boards. And until the McNeils make things plain the rest of us can only get our collective panties in a bunch, with the inevitable panic buying as a result.

It's happened before and will happen again.  

<fiddles while Rome burns>  ;)

Cheers,

RR

Hard to believe we've reached the end of an era, but the writing sure looks to be on the wall. So many wonderful blends, some I loved from the first bowl and others I came around to later. So many I never even got to try, given their broad range and the assumption that any company of their caliber would be around for years to come, so why rush? Alas for rosebuds left ungathered...but then tis better to have puffed and lost then never puffed at all, eh briar fam?

Many, many thanks to Mary and Mike for their decades of devotion to our hobby--McClelland was an institution, and as long as there are pipe smokers I believe that name will continue to be a legend. And a living and well-loved one at that, as many of our cellars can testify!

Three cheers for the McNiels, and may they make the most of their retirement.

I'm bummed. Navy Cavendish was and is one of my all time favorites. I'm down to my last ounce now. I did get a tin of Dark Star for Christmas along with Tudor Castle to add to my tin of Beacon Extra. But, that's all I have left of that label.

Still also have a little bit of regular Beacon left.

Sad times ....

Until I hear it from the McNeil's I will continue to hold out hope that it's not over. I regret buying Dunhill blends thinking that I had time to buy McC blends after Dunhill was gone. 150g of Blackwoods Flake isn't even enough for a special occasion smoke. Such is life though.

Jim

I do not blame anyone for retiring. Do it now. While you still can. Getting old sucks. Some people age gracefully. But tomorrow is always a great unknown.

Fishing has got to be way more fun than deadlines and contracts to fill. Enjoy it! :sunny:

huffelpuff":9ke2fm04 said:
Until I hear it from the McNeil's I will continue to hold out hope that it's not over. I regret buying Dunhill blends thinking that I had time to buy McC blends after Dunhill was gone. 150g of Blackwoods Flake isn't even enough for a special occasion smoke. Such is life though.

Jim
Jim,

I won't post a link to another forum but if you listen to the lastest Pipes Magazine Radio Show podcast which was published last night, the host Brian Levine shares the official statement from the Mike and Mary McNeil announcing the closing of McClelland. :(

Rick Newcombe is this week's guest and it's worth a listen, although sadly he's sharing stories about the passing of the great Lars Ivarsson.

DrumsAndBeer":syecqbrg said:
huffelpuff":syecqbrg said:

Jim
Jim,

I won't post a link to another forum but if you listen to the lastest Pipes Magazine Radio Show podcast which was published last night, the host Brian Levine shares the official statement from the Mike and Mary McNeil announcing the closing of McClelland.   :(

Rick Newcombe is this week's guest and it's worth a listen, although sadly he's sharing stories about the passing of the great Lars Ivarsson.
:(

Hopefully they will put something on the McC website to end all doubt

Jim,

I won't post a link to another forum but if you listen to the lastest Pipes Magazine Radio Show podcast which was published last night, the host Brian Levine shares the official statement from the Mike and Mary McNeil announcing the closing of McClelland. Sad

Well I guess the fat lady has sung! Truely a sad day !

Well, since the two main brands of 'baccy that I smoke are closing, Dunhill & McClellands, I guess I'll finish up what I have left , then end my 50 plus years of pipe smoking. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Listened to the first part of the podcast. Sounds pretty official to me.

How depressing, and I am not even a big fan of their blends, except for Christmas cheer, blackwoods and Dark Star. I did not put any money into Blackwoods or Dark star because I thought there would be time to get them. Welp, now I know.

Things don't seem to be getting better in our neck of the woods. Thankfully I have a few tins of Christmas Cheer. I guess it's better than nothing.

I spoke with Mary McNeil today and she said it is official that they are closing shop. Very sad indeed because I love their Virginia blends and some of their oriental mixtures. She said it is almost impossible to find quality va leaf anymore because of fewer us tobacco growers, auctions and the like.

Such a bummer. Love McClelland tobacco but I also greatly admire their uncompromising approach to their product.

I wish them all the best and thankfully I have a bit of their fine tobacco put away for future enjoyment

This just reinforces the fact that pipe tobacco is never going to be as available or inexpensive as it is today. Brian Levine has made this point a number of times on his podcast. I need to continue to stock up on my favorites because you never know when they will disappear

gkhanna74":gguk3bq0 said:
This just reinforces the fact that pipe tobacco is never going to be as available or inexpensive as it is today. Brian Levine has made this point a number of times on his podcast. I need to continue to stock up on my favorites because you never know when they will disappear
I have to agree. I used to think that those with huge cellars were some sort of doomsday preppers (and I see nothing wrong that). But, this recent development has changed my mind on a few things.

I have three tins of McClelland products left. I plan to hold on to them for a very long time before opening them. Tis' better to have loved and lost, then to have never loved at all.

I hope smokers are the ones who gobbled up all the stock and not opportunist speculators looking to profit in the coming years. Even if it was older, paranoid smokers who had bigger eyes than remaining lungs.

Smoking Pipes has some bulk in stock. Someone here smokes their cherry blends? M94 and M95 in stock. A few tins. Pipes and Cigars emailed me to stock up. But I do not see anything tinned to stock up on. Maybe they have a few bulk blends still left.