McClelland Going Out of Business

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a current, brand spanking new thread on another forum regarding this, and given the author it has some weight to it.

Unfortunately the rumours of the McNeils dissolving the business appear to be founded.

DrumsAndBeer":g8p81jcu said:
There's a current, brand spanking new thread on another forum regarding this, and given the author it has some weight to it.

Unfortunately the rumours of the McNeils dissolving the business appear to be founded.
Linkie-poo see-vu-play?

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":m4dzxtdf said:
DrumsAndBeer":m4dzxtdf said:

Linkie-poo see-vu-play?

Cheers,

RR

Just clued in via pm. Danke.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":is5xzvwx said:
DrumsAndBeer":is5xzvwx said:

Linkie-poo see-vu-play?
no no no...NOT...THE...DREADED...LINKKKKKKKKKKkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Well I can't get my phone to cooperate as far as link goes but someone(pipey McGee) over at Smokersforums.co.UK talked with Mary directly and was told not to panic. Disolving the business is the absolute last option and would not be taken unless all other options fail. So it sounds like there is still some hope things will work out. Also this is not a quote but a generalized summation . I've tried pulling a quote from there and am getting nowhere with my phone tonight on this.

Jim

Re: Rumor
I've actually got pretty big news here in regard to these rumors everyone has been talking about...

I just called McClelland's today and, believe it or not, spoke to Mary. I explained to her I was a longtime pipe smoker and fan of their blends, and very tastefully asked if she wouldn't mind telling me if they were closing or not.

She was incredibly sweet and explained the situation. I can't do it full justice since it involves specifics about the tobacco industry, farming, etc. that go back many years, but essentially she says she hopes they don't close, but only time will tell.

Basically, from what I understood, the company is not able to find the quality of leaf they want in the states (we all know about the red virginia issue), but if they go to a source outside the country then they face all the regulations with the FDA.

So it looks like the question of whether or not they're closing is still unclear, even after asking Mary herself, because the situation is complicated.

I also asked Mary if it was okay if I posted this here and she said yes. She added they will be sending out a proper announcement soon.

Ok guys I was finally able to pull the quote here it is. Once again the above quite is from Pipey McGee over on smokersforums.co.uk

Jim

Quoted from Tad Gage on Facebook:

"Btw, since this is the pipe site of consequence....I just had a long talk with my buddy of 30 years, Mike McNiel. They are tired. They have had a great run. There will be no more McClelland tobacco. They have exhausted their stock, for the most part, and (good for them), they are out of tins, labels, and most of their tobacco. So they are not stuck holding the bag on anything. Whatever is out there is what it is. I don't think Mike or Mary will contradict me. Whatever you find out there will be the last. Now, I have to figure out what to talk with Mike and Mary about besides tobacco, because they are dear friends. Maybe fishing?"

I guess that puts the nail in the coffin, eh? :x

Thank you kindly for the info.

What a crying shame. I prefer their Virginia pipe tobaccos over nearly everything on the market. Thankful that I had several years to pad my cellar with some of their fine blends.

I hope they have a fantastic retirement.

DoverPipes":s12xf06a said:
Quoted from Tad Gage on Facebook:
I've heard the rumor pretty much word for word since early to mid December and I stocked up then but until but I never said never until I heard it from my long time pipe buddy Tad Gage today. tad was the 3 Oaks Blender. :shock:

See if they'll release their blend details and trade secrets for those of us that want to recreate what we can.

Yup, a well earned retirement ahead. Best wishes to them, and thanks for the wonderful works! :cheers:

This is very distressing news. One of the only aromatic tobaccos I like is McC's Three Cherries. Like a dope, I usually only order about 4oz at a time. I don't smoke it daily, but just as an occasional change/treat.

It is out of stock everywhere. I've been trying other cherry blends, but they are all terrible (no offense to any big cherry blend fans out there).

Anyone have a recommendation for me to try until it (hopefully) comes back? I am bummed, to say the least.

Thanks!

Blackhorse":n3zb4haj said:
These folks (out west tobacco) still has some stock for good prices. Also some tinned.

http://www.outwesttobacco.com/Bulk_McClelland.htm
Danke. Ordered 10 cans for reasons obvious and as tribute to a grand marque. I will add it to the McC already in my cache. Really sad about this. I discovered McClelland on my own, so to speak, four decades ago. No forums, no internet, no buddy recommendations. Subconsciously believed they were making their blends just for me, and that I was the only one who bought them. Not too hard to believe, as the dust covering the tins in the obscure little tobacconists I used to visit in my travels at the time would attest. So I've gone from solipsistic fantasy to the jealousy of learning others smoked it to its demise at the hands of, in large part, a dictatorship. I expect to recover, but not soon.

I just got a pound of Three Cherries from this place: Payless Cigars and Pipes. I would've ordered more, but tomorrow is payday, and I couldn't risk it being sold out. I doubt it will be, but still...

I've never ordered from them before, but desperate times call for desperate measures. Also, if you start an account with them today, they throw in a free tin.

Best wishes to Mike and Mary :D  :D And thanks for many years of fine 'baccy products!!  Checked my McClelland inventory. For the tender age of 71 & 1/2, at my smoking rate I'm well stocked!! :p :p :p :cheers: FTRPLT

Just checked with Mike at SP and they have not been told officially from McC that they are going out of business but they have just one more shipment coming and have not been told what is in it so what's listed on site as in stock is what they have to sell. Sad day for sure, but it seems strange that there has been no word officially from the McNeals about this. Doesn't sound like the way they have done business. mmmm :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":8xo2326c said:
Just checked with Mike at SP and they have not been told officially from McC that they are going out of business but they have just one more shipment coming and have not been told what is in it so what's listed on site as in stock is what they have to sell. Sad day for sure, but it seems strange that there has been no word officially from the McNeals about this. Doesn't sound like the way they have done business. mmmm :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Checked SP. Man, hardly anything in stock.

It seems like the only evidence in favor of them NOT closing shop is that they have not officially said so.

What an embuggerance, a good 80% of my cellar is McClelland, the McNiel's will be sadly missed however I wish them all the best and hope they thoroughly enjoy their retirement.

Regards

Tim

Here's to someone offering them a respectable amount for their recipes. It could never be the same because of their craft and know-how, but it would at least be something.