Ok, you asked for it!........John Middleton's WALNUT

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got some from 4noggins today

To me it tasts like a light english blend
The amazing thing is none of the tobacco's in the blend over ride the others
I like the fact you can taste the tobacs in it
It is smooth smoking and no bite

I know I tried to force it to bite by puffing like someone that just finished the 100 yard dash lol

It would work for an all day smoke

morleysson":9wuupifa said:
Winslow":9wuupifa said:
Does the aroma of Walnut cause women to flock around you?

Winslow
Like deer to a salt lick. I can only attest that lighting each bowl of Walnut further solidifies my reputation as the "Croatian Casanova". :oops:
So that is why my wife is jealous all the time when we go out in public and women are approaching me form every direction! I should have known it is the Walnut!

:lol!:

hi all ok justpipes you talked me in to trying some of that walnut tabcco i just order some from jrs i should get it some time next week thanks for the tip

robertw1249":3vdtzwki said:
hi all ok justpipes you talked me in to trying some of that walnut tabcco i just order some from jrs i should get it some time next week thanks for the tip
Robert,

You will be well pleased!

:D

hi justpipes if i like it ill have to stock up on it you cant beat the price on it thanks

I would like some Cumberland, cant find it, heard good stuff about it. found the Cumberland, great smoke, like the Walnut also,

I'm a huge fan of American-English blends. I love latakia but -- with a few notable exceptions -- I think latakia goes better with a burley base than a virginia one. Morley's Best, Gatlin-Burley, and Epiphany are some of my standbys. I really looked forward to trying Walnut based on the blends reputations, but was sorely disappointed. The flavor and strength were acceptable, but this stuff tore my tongue apart with a single bowl. I don't mean normal tongue bite -- there were actually small bleeding spots on my tongue (a reaction I've only had with two other tobaccos). It's obviously a very popular blend, so I'm assuming I'm just sensitive to one of its components, but this stuff actually HURT me. I wonder if maybe there's some additive doing this? I normally don't react this way to Middleton blends, though -- PA and CH are daily smokes for me.

Thanks for the warning!At the Postal Facility where I work there is a large straw
basket[like a church offering basket] which is filled with condums,lubricants,and
AIDS pamphlets every morning.By noon it is empty,but a guy who works with some
AIDS foundation refills it daily.They usually have those XXL sizes mixed in there and
I will put one on my tongue if I ever smoke Walnut. :shock:

Winslow :sunny:

If I ever see this anywhere around here, I am going to buy some just to see what the hoopla is all about. If I don't like it, I can always send it to Justpipes and everyone wins. :pipe:

lonebeagle":k1ldrs1z said:
If I ever see this anywhere around here, I am going to buy some just to see what the hoopla is all about. If I don't like it, I can always send it to Justpipes and everyone wins. :pipe:
Lonebeagle,

I would appreciate you sending it to me but the odds are much more favorable that you will like it. :D You probably won't find it locally. It has been a long, long time since I have seen it in the regular stores. There is one B&M in Greensboro, NC about 60 miles from me that sells it and of course JR's but your best bet is mail order. Here is a good e-tailer with reasonable shipping costs. http://www.wvsmokeshop.com

oh great,,,along with the "numerous" less than exemplary opinions regarding taste and aroma, this stuff actually attacks your tongue and draws blood,,,,wonder what it does to your sperm count,,,,,

mark":097q6hkd said:
oh great,,,along with the "numerous" less than exemplary opinions regarding taste and aroma, this stuff actually attacks your tongue and draws blood,,,,wonder what it does to your sperm count,,,,,
Don't pay any mind to that. It is the first time I have ever seen a tongue bite complaint lodged against Walnut. No offense but that gentleman should examine his smoking habits.

I smoke it every day, usually several times a day and have been for 5+ years now and Walnut without a doubt is the smoothest all day smoke that I have ever loaded into a pipe!

Justpipes":ljp9h9uj said:
mark":ljp9h9uj said:
Don't pay any mind to that. It is the first time I have ever seen a tongue bite complaint lodged against Walnut. No offense but that gentleman should examine his smoking habits.

I smoke it every day, usually several times a day and have been for 5+ years now and Walnut without a doubt is the smoothest all day smoke that I have ever loaded into a pipe!
I don't think it's my smoking technique -- I think I'm very senstive to one of the components. I've tried hundreds of blends over the years, and I've only had this reaction a couple of other times. A lot of people claim this is a bite-free smoke for them, and I'm not inclined to argue with those kinds of numbers. I think tongue bite has as much to do with personal chemistry as it does with smoking technique, and I'm genuinely curious as to what might have triggered that reaction. I had identical reactions to GL Pease's Cairo and Two Friend's Bed and Breakfast, but never anything else (although Westminster, for some reason, came close to doing that kind of damage and I avoid it for that reason).

As for taste, aroma, and burning characteristics, Walnut is fine. I personally prefer Morley's Best, Epiphany, Gatlin-Burley, and Old Hollywood, but that's a purely subjective estimation. I'm glad you've found a blend that you like so much!

jj1015":y12d1a6g said:
Justpipes":y12d1a6g said:
mark":y12d1a6g said:

I don't think it's my smoking technique -- I think I'm very senstive to one of the components. I've tried hundreds of blends over the years, and I've only had this reaction a couple of other times. A lot of people claim this is a bite-free smoke for them, and I'm not inclined to argue with those kinds of numbers. I think tongue bite has as much to do with personal chemistry as it does with smoking technique, and I'm genuinely curious as to what might have triggered that reaction. I had identical reactions to GL Pease's Cairo and Two Friend's Bed and Breakfast, but never anything else (although Westminster, for some reason, came close to doing that kind of damage and I avoid it for that reason).

As for taste, aroma, and burning characteristics, Walnut is fine. I personally prefer Morley's Best, Epiphany, Gatlin-Burley, and Old Hollywood, but that's a purely subjective estimation. I'm glad you've found a blend that you like so much!
Interesting, I have had the same dicussion with Pipemaker and he says the same thing about tongue in that it has more to do with a persons chemistry than anything else. The only tobacco that bites me usually is Original Rum and Maple. As much as I like it after a couple of bowls the bite sneaks up on me and I have to put it away for a while. Others have said that it has no bite so it must be my chemistry.

jj1015":lxw2o7dn said:
I don't think it's my smoking technique -- I think I'm very senstive to one of the components. I've tried hundreds of blends over the years, and I've only had this reaction a couple of other times. A lot of people claim this is a bite-free smoke for them, and I'm not inclined to argue with those kinds of numbers. I think tongue bite has as much to do with personal chemistry as it does with smoking technique, and I'm genuinely curious as to what might have triggered that reaction.
I agree that there is probably some body chemistry reaction going on. Or maybe a reaction between differing tobaccos & ingredients, maybe the cake & residue in the pipe from previous smokes are reacting negatively with something in the Walnut.
I have had reactions to other stuff, just not as drastic as yours, with me it's usually just feeling nausiated, or a bit more than standard tounge bite or sometimes a bit more of a high. Usually my reations are related to how I smoke, I puff like a freight train, run it too hot, then get bit and remember to slow down, run a pipe cleaner through it and enjoy.
I have been enjoying a sample of Walnut that Justpipes sent me recently and find it a cool, mild and flavorful smoke. I'll probably keep it in my usual rotation of standard smoking materials.

Walnut,,,,broke down and bought it,,,english tobacco the tub says,,,,Durbar didn't work for me and I threw it on the shelf,,,,
must preface ; I don't inhale,,,sniff briefly through the nose on exhale,,,or exhale through the nose,,,
I presently smoke lightly cased aros and light virginia blends,,,
seems dry in the tub,,,,packs well in my bulldog,,,lit up like dry tinder,,,packed it back down and relit,,,
stays lit, that's for sure,,,,dry white ash,,,,smokes fast compared to the virginia blends I've been smoking,,,
lots of thick smoke,,,,inhaling a bit through the nose you can find the virginia,,among other nutty flavors,,,
maybe burley?,,,halfway through the bowl it gets spicy,,,,good flavor,,,smokes cool to the bottom,,,,spicy on the tongue,,,,

loaded up a cob to compare,,,lighter flavor,,,smoked quicker but stayed cool,,,,same spice,,,
to be fair, I smoked it in three other pipes,,,same flavor/ spice/ dry cool smoke,,,

seems lightly aromatic,,,,english "light?",,,,maybe a crossover light english/aro?

after the bowl finished, I wanted ,,,I don't know if I wanted more Walnut,,or wanted something that would give me more ??? maybe a longer smoke,,,need to try it in a bigger bowl,,,,

Good change of pace, I can see how it could grow on you,,,,

O.K. JUSTPIPES,,,it's an interesting tobacco, ,,,

Just ordered a tin from wv smoke shop. We'll see how this goes. ;)

Aaron":a2iynprb said:
Just ordered a tin from wv smoke shop. We'll see how this goes. ;)
I believe you will be well pleased Aaron. Randy at WV Smoke Shop is a pleasure to deal with!