Ok, you asked for it!........John Middleton's WALNUT

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I've figured it out. JP has stock in John Middleton, or he's getting kickbacks for his Walnut recommendations, :lol!: cause I too just sent WV Smoke Shop a check for a tub of Walnut. (Gas is now 1.80 gal here so i've got more cash for stocking up on baccy). :geek: :pipe:

EJinVA":3078yieb said:
Ok, I've figured it out. JP has stock in John Middleton, or he's getting kickbacks for his Walnut recommendations, :lol!: cause I too just sent WV Smoke Shop a check for a tub of Walnut. (Gas is now 1.80 gal here so i've got more cash for stocking up on baccy). :geek: :pipe:
You fellows should check out the sale WV has going on the push stem Kaywoodies and cut down on the shipping costs. Click on the "Specials" in the Kaywoodie section. Mention my name when you talk to Randy or type it in the comments section when you place your online order. :D

The more Walnut we purchase the less likely Altria will be to remove it from the Middleton line. :D :D :D

Opinion from a Brit on an American debate:

Middleton's Walnut - superb no-nonsense tobacco, great value, cool, one-match-light, complex enough but doesn't divert you too much from what you're reading/doing. It's comforting which is what pipe tobacco should be. If I lived over the there, it would certainly be a regular buy.

Kaywoodies - superb no-nonsense good-value pipes. I have two of them now (thankyou Internet!).

Sometimes the best things in life are just staring us in the face but we refuse to see them ?

(Only IMHO of course)

Sitting here enjoying Kajun Kake in a fine Irish pipe...

You poor fellers just don't have a concept of what good is.

puros_bran":flypa5tv said:
Sitting here enjoying Kajun Kake in a fine Irish pipe...

You poor fellers just don't have a concept of what good is.
Not ALL of us - Kajun Kake is a magnificent smoke. (Works well in a Pete).

Alan :pipe:

Okay so I know there is a love hate relationship with Walnut on this board, so I just had to try it. And I must say at first I didn't know what to think of it. I think there was a lot of Latakia on very top of the tub because that was I could taste for the first two bowls or so. However here lately the burley has come through more so than anything else which is what is supposed to happen I think. It will probably not be my go to blend but I have enjoyed it and will continue to do so. So far so good. Cheers!

tg":hsp7btpv said:
Opinion from a Brit on an American debate:

Middleton's Walnut- superb no-nonsense tobacco, great value, cool, one-match-light, complex enough but doesn't divert you too much from what you're reading/doing. It's comforting which is what pipe tobacco should be. If I lived over the there, it would certainly be a regular buy.

Kaywoodies - superb no-nonsense good-value pipes. I have two of them now (thankyou Internet!).

Sometimes the best things in life are just staring us in the face but we refuse to see them ?

(Only IMHO of course)
Take note PB! The concept of good! :D

As my current tub-o-Walnut goes down, I've been having fun adding this and that to it in an experiment. I like it straight, but I find that if I add some latakia blends (especially a few older, cheaper blends that I'm not that big on by themselves) to it, it really perks it up. Right now I'm mixing 3 parts Walnut to 1 part #10 Downing Street, or Crown Achievement, and it's really an enjoyable, easy smoke.

Natch

Natch":6nd7lakp said:
As my current tub-o-Walnut goes down, I've been having fun adding this and that to it in an experiment. I like it straight, but I find that if I add some latakia blends (especially a few older, cheaper blends that I'm not that big on by themselves) to it, it really perks it up. Right now I'm mixing 3 parts Walnut to 1 part #10 Downing Street, or Crown Achievement, and it's really an enjoyable, easy smoke.

Natch
I've tried blending it with other tobaccos and still find it the best by itself. I can see how it would do well with 10 Downing. I haven't seen any of that in a long time. I use to enjoy it from time to time.

free_byrd15":ehru9qsw said:
Maybe this is a crime to say....but i've never smoked this blend.... :|
PM your address,,,I'll send some your way,,,

seeing that ive had hit and miss tobacco selections from drugstore to good uk tobacco shops this is a blend ive yet to try.. that and being in the military kinda limits what i can or can't get

PipeRanter":zape4z39 said:
seeing that ive had hit and miss tobacco selections from drugstore to good uk tobacco shops this is a blend ive yet to try.. that and being in the military kinda limits what i can or can't get
I can fix that if you PM me a shipping address.

PipeRanter....I spent 25 years in the military....There are lots of reputable sellers who will mail pipe tobacco to you anywhere in the world!!! :cheers: APO/FPO addys are a cinch!! Send me a PM if you want recommendations! :pipe: FTRPLT

Bought some. Smoked it a few times. Now I can comment. Blah! It's not terribly bad but it's definately not good. Flat, flavorless. I caught myself actually inhaling a bit trying get some flavor out of it. I left some out that completely dried up and afterward there was no smell at all except a faint but distinct maple aroma. Since I bought it I'll keep some to offer to new pipe smokers that may find regular blends too strong at first or if anyone PM's me and wants to trade for some I'll send out a few samples. And with so many other quality bulk blends available in the price range, the one sentiment I'd heard before about it that rings true so clearly now is "with all of the good blends out there why on earth would I waste my time with this?"

Bent Stem":vfj2hwwl said:
Bought some. Smoked it a few times. Now I can comment. Blah! It's not terribly bad but it's definately not good. Flat, flavorless. I caught myself actually inhaling a bit trying get some flavor out of it. I left some out that completely dried up and afterward there was no smell at all except a faint but distinct maple aroma. Since I bought it I'll keep some to offer to new pipe smokers that may find regular blends too strong at first or if anyone PM's me and wants to trade for some I'll send out a few samples. And with so many other quality bulk blends available in the price range, the one sentiment I'd heard before about it that rings true so clearly now is "with all of the good blends out there why on earth would I waste my time with this?"
:( :( :( :lol:

Bent Stem":jpzml0uy said:
Don't throw it away!Put some in the most expensive looking empty tin you have and save it for unwanted company.
My uncle used to do this with his wiskey......he put Four Roses in a Crown Royal
bottle which he served to uninvited guests at his basement bar.Isn't that smooth?
he would ask after they downed a straight shot. :twisted:

Winslow :sunny:

Justpipes":odu9kvl4 said:
Bent Stem":odu9kvl4 said:
:( :( :( :lol:
Sorry, I really wanted to like it!

Winslow":k2xtquca said:
Bent Stem":k2xtquca said:
Don't throw it away!Put some in the most expensive looking empty tin you have and save it for unwanted company.
My uncle used to do this with his wiskey......he put Four Roses in a Crown Royal
bottle which he served to uninvited guests at his basement bar.Isn't that smooth?
he would ask after they downed a straight shot. :twisted:

Winslow :sunny:
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I had been intrigued by Walnut prior to reading all of JP's glowing comments about it but was never able to find any locally. After reviewing all of his posts that he has made in defense of this venerable mix, I finally broke down and added 2 tubs to my last tobacco order, which arrived yesterday. Honestly, I don't remember the last time I was anticipating a tobacco with such interest, this had been wearing on my thoughts ever since I placed the order. I immediately cracked a tub open and was greeted by a the great smell of tobacco and very little else. No rum, whiskey or cherry, no chocolate-raisons like my current favorite burley, Carter Hall. Not even the citrusy, pungent smell of aged virginia. All I could smell was basic tobacco. Not unlike my sons RYO cigarette tobacco, but with more toastiness and nuttiness to it. As previously described, the tobacco in the tub was a mixture of ribbon and rough cut leaf, with mostly brown plus some black and a bit of red and yellow mixed in. It appeared to be about the same moisture as Carter Hall from the same sort of tub, not overly moist but OK to smoke as is.

I packed a MM cob pipe and set it down to dry out a bit, for about an hour while I finished up my days work. Thankfully our deep-freeze temps had broken so I was not going to be as rushed in my smoking as recently. Sucking through the unlit tobacco did not give me the impression of any sort of added flavoring. After the first match I tamped down the ashes and unlike my CH, the pipe had immediately gone out. I lit it again and got the familiar plumes of smoke that I get from my other OTC burleys. The initial taste was pretty bland, although I did detect some spiciness that was not normally present in my other burleys. In fact, I first thought I was getting a little tongue bite, but quickly figured out it was just one of the tobaccos making itself known. The first half of the bowl was fairly pedestrian, but by mid-smoke some of the sweetness started to come through and this stayed until the end. The tobacco was obviously wetter than I thought because it continued to try and go out and slow smoking quickly turned to lack of smoke. I had to relight twice more.

I finished the bowl feeling quite well satisfied. Despite being touted as an American "English" blend, I did not really detect any Latakia or Oriental leaf, which is fine by me as I only occasionally get the urge for these. There was enough Vit-N that I might want to make sure and only smoke this with something in my stomach. In fact, it did trigger my appetite and I finished up quite hungry for dinner. Other than the peppery taste, there was absolutely no tongue bite, and the finish was very mild. I could easily see this fitting in as an all-day smoke. The ash was dark and dry with no remnants of any artificial additives.

Only one bowl is a poor basis for a recommendation, but I have to say that Walnut is a more than respectable tobacco, and certainly a great bargain for someone wanting a slightly more complex, affordable smoke.