Operation: Capricious Destiny

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greyson":z0lri3wb said:
I bet I've built this up too much now and you guys are disappointed...
I wouldn't worry about that. People just want to know what the heck is going on lol :bounce:

Is that an 'all clear' from the big man Blackhorse himself? I don't want to upset him, he makes his own knives you know. And talk about cutting it fine, I'm typing up the briefing now! :)

Greyson":c0ie98fp said:
Is that an 'all clear' from the big man Blackhorse himself? I don't want to upset him, he makes his own knives you know. And talk about cutting it fine, I'm typing up the briefing now! :)
Yes sir, all clear from BH... :D

I really wouldn't mind him throwing one of his knives at me. Provided it hit a non-vital area of the body I might just walk away with a bad limp and a really cool handmade knife. :lol:

Fair enough, welcome! Now where did I put that briefing board file...

Ah here it is

briefingboardspecial9.jpg

breifing.jpg
Gentlemen, Lady, the signup period for this event is now over and no new signups will be added. If you wish to withdraw for any reason this is not a problem, but once you leave you will not be re-added.

Whoa, I see a wall of text approaching, is there a summary I can skip to?
Sure, scroll down to '...what do I need to do?'. Also don’t be so lazy.

Ok, so what’s this all about, why the secrecy?
Well, Blackhorse helped me form a new idea for a community in action event where prizes can be won by those taking part. However I was strongly advised to take precautions such as limiting member access and not revealing the nature of the mission until after a fixed sign up period to avoid unscrupulous people signing up to the site and potentially walking away with something when they had no intention of participating in the community. Apparently there have been BoB-only competitions that have been spoiled in the past by such people, I know I saw one, and I wanted to stop it happening here.

Wait, did you say prizes?
Yes. So, anyhow… the way it will work will be quite familiar to most of you if you ever played battleships as a kid (or a grown up). However, we are not sailors, we are bombers, so instead of a blank ocean, you will be picking squares to bomb in a totally randomly chosen city (totally totally random), with factories, bunkers and 'most wanted' personnel hidden throughout.

Seriously dude, what prizes?
I'm getting to that. So the targets will have three levels and sizes. Destroying a factory earns you a small prize, as they will be the biggest and easiest to find at three squares in a horizontal or vertical line (see picture below for examples). The mid value targets will be bunker complexes, measuring two by two in vertical or horizontal lines. Get the killing shot on them and you earn a respectable reward. However, the top prizes are the single square 'most wanted' targets. These targets are the nemesis of the bomber wing, and must be terminated with extreme prejudice (you can decide who they might be), but they are codenamed 'Capricious' and 'Destiny'. Kill one of these guys for the top prize.

exampletargets.jpg
PRIZES!!!!!
Ok ok. Prizes are as follows:
There are four small prizes - they are handmade clay pipes, fashioned in the UK with traditional techniques from a factory which has been making them since 1590. I must stress that these are very small and I have not smoked them, so if you decide to hunt for one of these lesser targets don't set your expectation bar very high (it was only a easy kill after all).

There are three mid-range prizes – to the pilot who gets the killing blow on a bunker complex, your reward is a $25 gift code for 4noggins.com

There are two top prizes. For the lucky pilot who finds and kills Capricious, go home son, you're done. And take this Mark Tinsky Black and Tan pipe BoB pipe of the year with you. Want the Coral Carved BoB pipe of the year? Well, I guess you better go gunning for Destiny then, that goes home with whoever kills him (her?).

Holy #@!%
I know right?

Ok, now I care about how this works, tell me more
Well, like I said I will post a picture of a city with a battleship style grid on it. Each day every pilot gets one bomb to drop on a square of their choosing, they do this by submitting their target selections by PM to me like this (for example): A3, K7, F8. They submit three because I will be marking the hits in the order I get them, in the event that your first choice has already been hit, I will use your second choice. If your second choice has also been hit by an earlier player I will use your third. If that’s hit too… well, better luck tomorrow! Players will only ever get one shot per day, but I will need three co-ordinates each day to try to compensate for double shots. Hitting 2/3 of a small target or 1/2 of a medium target wins you nothing. You must get the killing blow to win the corresponding prize. I will call a halt to bombing every day at about 12 midnight GMT / 7pm EDT so I can update the grid with the day's hits and misses. Once I call a halt for that day please do not pm any more co-ords until I can get the updated map up, as you could be picking squares already hit and giving me a major headache. I should also say that this is a different kind of mission for the bomber wing; you are out for glory and prizes on your own, as such it is only fair on everyone else if you do work on your own. Search pattern bombing with partners would be unfair on other players, so please don’t. That’s not to say you can’t decide to wait for other players to shoot first if you are going for a 2 or 3 square prize, there is a bit of strategy to this after all… Once a player has won a prize, big or small, he is sent home for a victory parade and will not be allowed to bomb any more targets, that way we should spread the prizes out a bit.

Sorry I dosed off there, what do I need to do?
Wait for the Day 1 target to go up
Submit 3 bomb coordinates by PM
Wait for the ceasefire and updated map before submitting your next set.
Get your prize by getting the killing blow on a 3, 2 or 1 square target.
Gloat / brag and watch the rest of the squadron fight it out.

Anything else I should know?
The prizes have been donated by BoB brothers who have requested to remain Anonymous, so please don't ask. In a similar vein, I can neither confirm nor deny that this is a Shadow funded operation. However when Mark Tinsky was asked to make pipes for a competition giveaway he very generously knocked a good percentage off the price for us. He is a solid gold guy and that shouldn't be hidden or overlooked. Blackhorse helped me figure out the holes in my original idea and I'm very grateful for his help and support in getting this event going, and Rob_in_MO is also helping me with distribution and I'm very grateful to his selfless time and effort with my schemes. Not that I have schemes.

The target zone will be posted on the 7th, so if you have questions (or more likely I forgot to mention something) ask them before then, and until the 7th hold your fire!

As you were squadron.

You Losers are going down!!!! :lol:

I can't wait....I ROCK at battleship!!!

Greyson, too late to get on board? If not, I'll take 19.

And I have no idea what's going on.

Edit - gadzukes, just got a call and I am traveling a lot the next few weeks. On second thought, i have to pass on this festivity. Bummer.

Also, how many days is this going to last? Just until the prizes are gone?