Pipe Reaction

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's a very skillfully crafted rendition of a pipe I wouldn't buy. I've seen his pipes before and really like most of them, just not the "Ring of Fire" ones. I like flames. I like pipes. I don't like flames on my pipes.

Hmmmm

Part of me likes it and part of me doesnt.

I do like the flanes (if they were a bit darker and roiling more that would be better) but still neat.

With that said, Im not liking the stainless steel? band. It throws things off just enough with its smooth shiny finish. Maybe if it had some etchinf or? To add a liile contrast or what have you...

Overall though a pretty neat piece.

It is not for me, but I probably could not afford it anyway. MIKE

To be clear: I did not buy this pipe and don't have any plans to do so. I just stumbled across it and thought it would be interesting fodder for discussion.

Now, while I won't buy a Ring of Fire pipe, I may buy one of his other pipes. Please understand - it's not that i want to, it's just that I have to buy a pipe every two days or Zeno gets upset at me.

It's a little short for my likings but it falls into its own category.

Sure, I can certainly appreciate the amount of work that had to go into it, but it's not my style.

Interesting and clever but not my style.

But pipes are a very personal thing and I am sure someone will think it is just what they want and will be very happy with it. Each to their own and that is the way it should be. I am sure some of the pipes I love would be dismissed by others but that is what makes pipes - and choosing them - so fascinating.

I would however be most interested in joining "the old fart pipe smoking guard (the "OFPSG")" I believe I am fully qualified for that. :lol:

PipeDragon":d7w3xfok said:
All this talk about the flames etc reminded me of this beauty I saw the other day. Damn if she aint beautiful (expensive as hell but... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/italy/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=97638
No offense PD, but I would buy the other pipe twice b4 I bought that one... LOL it has no contrast it looks bland to me,
IMHO if your going to go through all of the tedious work of carving those flames, showcase them! :albino:

Now the first pipe, with the steel band placed in sort of a juxtapostion and the contrast between the light and dark stains this pipe says, Hey look at me!

If you don't mind, I think I'll take that as a compliment coming from someone who is buying a new pipe every two days. Our perspectives are likely to be diametrically opposed. I do agree that normally this carver does make nice looking pipes, though.

It reminds me of that whole retro lifestyle of horrible pinup tattoos, speckled tabletops with red metallic vinyl matching chairs, rockabilly, Bettie Page/Rosie the Riveter fashion style, etc. Mind you, any of this lifestyle isolated is kind of cool (not including the tattoos, because those tattoos are always gaudy and ugly as fuck), but all together on one person or under one roof, it's about as ugly as it gets.
This one for the Classic Posts file ! :cheers: :lol: :cheers:

:face:

I really need to find a pipe made out of the same material as one of those vintage speckled table tops. Even better if it has a red metallic stem.

Don't care for it either. Perhaps if the black was a darker brown while the flames were more reddish? And lose the metal band, replace it with something amber colored?

No, not pleasant to my eye. Am I the only one who finds the flames looking incredibly clumsy? Stiff. Like, "I had this cool idea and put a shit ton of time and skill to it but it still came out looking like a pile of (adolescent) dongs. :x

I guess I'm generally steering away from briars that have any elaborate "figural" carving. Because that stuff often looks clumsy as hell. (Not that I could ever afford that stuff, I'm just yapping to keep my lips warm)

PipeDragon":vo4d0kpw said:
All this talk about the flames etc reminded me of this beauty I saw the other day. Damn if she aint beautiful (expensive as hell but... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/italy/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=97638
I like the execution of this pipe better, but not the finish :) this one could really use a different color in the flames. But I find them very artistically cut. I live in a greaser section of long beach. I do not hate the rockabilly scene or aesthetic, and I love Betty Page :) but I am not a big fan of flat, flames.

rev

The flames are not my thing but someone will buy that pipe and be very happy with it. I think style and lifestyle have an effect on what we like and buy.I wouldnt judge anyone who bought that pipe in a negative way. I like the pipe but wouldnt look right smoking it.I picture that pipe being bought by someone who has alot of cool bikes and maybe a hotrod or two parked in the garage.

It's a good lookin' pipe that shows skill. I'm not at all into the figural carving thing, though. Not a fan of Castello's carved flame pipes either.

The stem work is really nice, for sure.