Pipe Reaction

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
peckinpahhombre":czyz80e8 said:
Wait a minute . . . maybe this is an original Keenum Squashed Scrotalpipe and we just didn't know it ...

Now I'm really glad I didn't win that auction. :pale:

8)

The only thing wrong with the flame pipe its not bent. Who put the the steel plates on the left squashed testicle pipe? I bet that hurt.

plumbernater":ao1281f8 said:
Who put the the steel plates on the left squashed testicle pipe? I bet that hurt.
That's all the rage now. It's called "Xtreme Manscaping".

Downie carves a pipe for Ian. A flesh-colored, avocado-shaped (look up the etymology of "avocado") fleshy briar with metal plates holding breakage together. I think it's possible to make the ugliest, most disturbing pipe ever. :lol: "Ian's Extreme, Shattered Manscape."

Of course, it'd have to be a full-bent, gotta respect the angle of the dangle.

8)

That is what it'd look like after my wife found out what I payed. :lol:

Zeno Marx":fl6d3p2b said:
peckinpahhombre":fl6d3p2b said:
I expected your reaction Zeno. You seem to be part of the old fart pipe smoking guard (the "OFPSG").
If you don't mind, I think I'll take that as a compliment coming from someone who is buying a new pipe every two days. Our perspectives are likely to be diametrically opposed. I do agree that normally this carver does make nice looking pipes, though.

It reminds me of that whole retro lifestyle of horrible pinup tattoos, speckled tabletops with red metallic vinyl matching chairs, rockabilly, Bettie Page/Rosie the Riveter fashion style, etc. Mind you, any of this lifestyle isolated is kind of cool (not including the tattoos, because those tattoos are always gaudy and ugly as fuck), but all together on one person or under one roof, it's about as ugly as it gets.
Like Yak, I really like this post.

About the pipe, I don't like it at all. Looks out of balance to me--too heavy-looking a stummel. Furthering the visual heaviness, the vertical lines of the flames cut the visual line of the shank to the bowl, making it almost look like three sections: stem, shank, bowl. Thus no flow. Thus I don't think it works and would make excuses about why I had to smoke it if anyone somehow used fiat to make me smoke it.

I could say something nice, like lots of people might go for it (god(s) can love them after all) since it's nice to acknowledge different viewpoints about an aesthetic question, but really I've got nothing nice to say or think about this pipe.

If I'm not mistaken, that pipe was comissioned by Tobacco Pipe Collectors, and became so popular, that Mark continued to produce it as he has done with other designs. http://www.tobaccopipecollectors.com/

Mark Balkovec, Jake Hackert, and Harley Davidson produce pipes for a specific demographic, that are in the minority here on BoB. I can't say that I am surprised that the majority of posters here are not inspired by that design, and that's probably a good thing. 8)

Hackert pipes are pretty sweet, I keep lookin for them on ebay the last I heard is that is how he sells them

Zeno's post got personal, whether intentional or not. Points off for sour juvenility. Any crappy Internet forum can lack posting poise. Mediocrity stands out here, as does the occasional abortion of a pipe. :lol:

My submission:

DesignBerlin-freehand_zps947235d3.jpg

...courtesy Kirk Fitzgerald via The Fellowship...

8)

Kyle Weiss":8dd4lxpf said:
Zeno's post got personal, whether intentional or not. Points off for sour juvenility. Any crappy Internet forum can lack posting poise. Mediocrity stands out here, as does the occasional abortion of a pipe. :lol:

8)
I realize the points off you mention isn't a literal score, but PPH asked for a visceral reaction and he got it. And he didn't like what it was and posted that he had anticipated it and lumped he-with-the-visceral reaction into a caricature.

Elements to tabulate in posting poise for sure.

PreppyHippy":kepfde9m said:
Kyle Weiss":kepfde9m said:

8)
I realize the points off you mention isn't a literal score, but PPH asked for a visceral reaction and he got it. And he didn't like what it was and posted that he had anticipated it and lumped he-with-the-visceral reaction into a caricature.

Elements to tabulate in posting poise for sure.
Well, I think it's fair to say that I responded to Zeno's comment in a different way because it was Zeno. We have some history, and are working through our issues in ongoing counselling sessions. I will acknowledge some loss of posting poise points for reacting the way that I did. Putting all that aside, I actually found this thread to be enjoyable, which I guess is largely what what we are here for.

Thanks for the post, I did not know about this pipe maker. Enjoyed very much going through his gallery. It's not often that I come across a new maker with his level of creativity and originality, and yet one that produces pipes that I would actually smoke. I am impressed.

As far as the pipe in the OP, I don't like the theme nor the pipe shape, but like the concept and the technique employed. Once again, an original take of the theme.

I already acknowledged Peckin' was given exactly what he wanted. I'm splitting the difference between what was fair (and amusing) and uselessly retarded. Usefully retarded is what we do here on a day-to-day basis on this ship. Kind of like what we're doing now. :mrgreen:

What, no hate for the stupid soccer pipe? Anyone? Sheesh. Losers. :p

8)

What, no hate for the stupid soccer pipe? Anyone?

Another novelty pipe. You could turn it into a lamp. Or sell it in pairs for use as bookends.

Put Paronelli Colorifc Briars in yr browsers. Is the room spinning?

Given the turn this thread took earlier, I'm surprised no one has posted a pipe like this!

tokuto10.jpg

Very organic. Some of these remind me of Rocky Mountain Oysters for some reason...