Pipe Reaction

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carvers may have skills that they don't get to exercise working on, let's say, another canted Dublin. Plus they get bored and want to do something unique. Still, it's possible to be both unique and superfluous.

KevinM":uneasxk2 said:
Carvers may have skills that they don't get to exercise working on, let's say, another canted Dublin. Plus they get bored and want to do something unique. Still, it's possible to be both unique and superfluous.
Unique, superfluous, and I would add, marketable. Flames or not, Mark sells every pipe he makes, and has a long waiting list for more. Obviously there are folks out there who love the flames and steel, as well as his more subtle pieces. Like Flytyer said, more power to 'em!
Seems most of us BoBs are a little more traditional, though.

Looks funky. I don't like Castello's smooth wood flames let alone these. There's an elaborate one on smoking pipes for ~$3200.

George Kaplan":vi4eisl5 said:
KevinM":vi4eisl5 said:
Unique, superfluous, and I would add, marketable. Flames or not, Mark sells every pipe he makes, and has a long waiting list more. Obviously there are folks out there who love the flames and steel, as well as his more subtle pieces. Like Flytyer said, more power to 'em!
Traditional, as in OFPSG traditional? :lol!:

George Kaplan":cjy8n2lh said:
KevinM":cjy8n2lh said:
Unique, superfluous, and I would add, marketable. Flames or not, Mark sells every pipe he makes, and has a long waiting list more. Obviously there are folks out there who love the flames and steel, as well as his more subtle pieces. Like Flytyer said, more power to 'em!
The ring of fire pipes are only a small portion of what he sells. He certainly has skill. Lovers of the poker shape should be right at home with his pipes.

There were a couple of lovats and bulldogs on his site that I gravitated towards.

George Kaplan":df8zmswl said:
Harlock999":df8zmswl said:
I haven't been banished to there yet; I do own a Mario Grandi. :p
I've never held that against you, but I may need to start... :suspect:
Maybe some of us will have to start wearing special identifying insignia,
or wear our underwear on the outside of our pants...
Should the OFPSG all wear "Y" fronts with saggy waistbands? :scratch:

I admit it, I don't belong in the OFPSG, where as I respect tradition, I really enjoy new concepts, new ideas, new styles, new life, I couldn't possibly imagine living in a world that was full of stagnant redundancy, variety is the spice of life, free your mind brothers, live , love, smoke, and be happy ;)

Boy, the tribe is rowdy as of late. :lol: I can almost hear the score being kept all the way out here...

...BoB always cracks me up at the way it randomly self-trolls, out of nowhere...

I blame BeetleJazz bringing cookies to the sausage party. :p

(PS, Beet, great avatar...you look like you dropped your ice cream cone, though... :lol: )

8)

beetlejazz":cwgbd58r said:
I guess I'm generally steering away from briars that have any elaborate "figural" carving. Because that stuff often looks clumsy as hell. (Not that I could ever afford that stuff, I'm just yapping to keep my lips warm)
UberHuberMan":cwgbd58r said:
It's a good lookin' pipe that shows skill. I'm not at all into the figural carving thing, though.
Watcha think about these?

(Please excuse the "fuzziness" I was being lazy and just cropped a past pic, I could do more close ups if anyone would like)

f9742dd8f2b1__1319978654000.jpeg

18acec71db6e__1358018093000.jpg

the bottom left one is cool and the redish on on the right in the top smaller box I like them both

Harlock999":0jka3ydz said:
I'm done now...
Dear Lord My EYES!!!

Now Ile have to get one of my Tampers to poke them out!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I love weird out of the box shapes. Not that I don't appreciate traditional ones either. I just didn't like this one that much. It was ok, but I wouldn't make a copy, even if someone paid me to :)

rev

Harlock999":8tyz8m75 said:
George Kaplan":8tyz8m75 said:
Harlock999":8tyz8m75 said:
I've never held that against you, but I may need to start... :suspect:
Maybe some of us will have to start wearing special identifying insignia,
or wear our underwear on the outside of our pants...
Should the OFPSG all wear "Y" fronts with saggy waistbands? :scratch:
I think the best identifier would be wearing your pants hiked up beyond your navel; perhaps also sock suspenders would be a sure sign as well.

:pokehornetsnest:

Guys, do logos belong on pipes? Sports teams/NASCAR numbers? Military affiliation? Vehicular brand preference?

I suppose if I saw a football helmet carved from briar with the team name on it, that'd be cool, I guess, but I swear I saw a pipe once that was merely a traditional briar with a big, chrome/enamel painted emblem stuck to it. One idea I had for the Harley set was a "brain-bucket" type helmet carved from briar, on its top (slightly canted left), with the chamber opening up where ones head might go. Detailed straps, perhaps black...

...given time, I'm sure a Nike swoosh would end up on a pipe for the right guy.

8)

the rev":9yl1du1i said:
I love weird out of the box shapes. Not that I don't appreciate traditional ones either. I just didn't like this one that much. It was ok, but I wouldn't make a copy, even if someone paid me to :)

rev
Let's test your conviction. How much would it cost to make a copy?

PipeDragon,

I think some of those pipes are pretty cool. For the most part they aren't in my wheelhouse, but I appreciate looking at them.

George Kaplan":5bc6a6jv said:
Harlock999":5bc6a6jv said:
Um... what exactly is the starting/entry age of this OFPSG club? :?: :?: