R.A.T.S. Rarely Available Tobacco Signal

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure a lot of you got the same email I did, but pipesandcigars.com has the 2013 Peterson seasonals in stock. Both the Summer and Christmas varieties :santa: .

I don't know about you, but I can rarely find these when I want them.

Brewdude":r2fu23m1 said:
utahpipeman":r2fu23m1 said:
Elizabethan Mixture available at pipesandcigars.
Saw that.

Gonna wait for some reviews to come in before I dip my toe in the water.

Cheers,

RR
Huh, still available -- either they got a whole lot of it, or a lot of people agree with Brewdude!

I was never all too impressed with the Murray's Elizabethan and did not smoke it too much (a bit mild and vapid as I recall, and when the opportunity to sell tins for many multiples of investment and reinvest in other blends when Murray's closed, I emptied my cellar), but with these crazy low prices on all Dunhill tins now (costing less than they did five years ago, which is amazing when it comes to anything related to tobacco generally) it is probably worth picking up a handful of the new Elizabethan to see how the Danes did with the recipe.

Butera Pelican at Smokingpipes. Limit 2 tins. I have wanted to try this one for awhile. At least now I will have some. It's almost 5pm here.

Andy

4Noggins has J.F. Germain's "Best Brown Flake" in stock!
I've been trying to get my hands on some of this for a while.

Northern Neil":bo61763q said:
4Noggins has J.F. Germain's "Best Brown Flake" in stock!
I've been trying to get my hands on some of this for a while.
Thanks Neil! :cheers: 

I don't like threads like these because they are a big part of why these tobaccos are hard to get, but I sure am grateful for the Brown Flake post. I've been wanting more Brown Flake forever, so thank you very much.

sisyphus":l1729kvl said:
I don't like threads like these because they are a big part of why these tobaccos are hard to get, but I sure am grateful for the Brown Flake post. I've been wanting more Brown Flake forever, so thank you very much.
Although it peeves me off a little from time to time when I here of people purchasing more then they can possibly have a need for of hard to find items, the greedy only prosper because others let them. And even then only for a short time. They dig there own graves, so to speak.

sisyphus wrote:

"I don't like threads like these because they are a big part of why these tobaccos are hard to get."

I support and encourage all members to have and share their opinions, no matter how misguided, unsupported and/or crackpot they might be. Of course they land a bit easier when stated as opinion as opposed to being expressed as facts.

Case in point is the above comment by member sisyphus. I would pose that 'threads like this' have little to no impact on making this or that blend 'hard to get'... which I believe is far more a function of supply and demand. One way or the other...sooner or later...the hot blends ARE going to be sold. And it's my belief that threads like this merely enable those that are near and dear to us to have the opportunity to be in the running to snag some of the booty.

But again, my beliefs are just opinions...unsupported by facts. When I was submitting drafts of the thesis required for my Masters program my Graduate Advisor was ruthless in ferreting out any statement of fact that was not supported by documentation. He would mark up the draft in red pencil. We used to call his reading of our papers, "painting the roses red". I have taken the liberty to act in a like manner with the opinion stated by sisyphus as fact, above. lol

Of course, if there is documentation of the opinion in question which can verify it, and it is presented here for our review, then I will of course issue a public apology and perform a penalty of my own choosing.

(Note: the above comments are made to enhance and improve our fine site and are in no way intended to cast a negative light on any individual.)

I interpret that post as it's ok to be a dick as long as you're polite about it. What's your point, other than wrapping a jab at me in a thin veil of civility?

My point being, I said something not directed at you. You disagree with my statement. You made it personal in your reply. Sorry I didn't just sit and quietly take it, but I call bs when I see it, as you probably do yourself.

The effect, I'd say, is minimal on supply. These are small "micro" blenders and not R J Reynolds. The demand is what is keeping some of these companies afloat in this age of nanny states. Trying to fill a demand too quickly just effects quality, a subject I was discussing concerning a local micro-brewery. They did the math and backed down production. Blenders have probably discovered this issue also.

J.F. Germain didn't become a great blender by being greedy. Just be glad we have domestics like GLP that are easier for us to find.

Be patient. Call around. When one supply pops up that usually means others are about to get their back-orders filled too.

With a bit of patience, I have had no trouble getting what I want and I post alerts as I come across them.

It takes a lot of work to acquire perishable and seasonable raw materials. They are not always available and the blenders aren't' going to scrimp and ruin the name of a good blend.

FVF is a good example of the demand. You couldn't find it anywhere online last year. This year there's plenty. So what if there's a buzz... wait it out. :)

sisyphus -

In response to your response... simmer down, no one's throwing mud pies at you.

1. I wasn't expecting you to 'take it' any particular way.
2. Please don't call me a "dick" that's not appropriate in this area of the site, or anywhere here for that matter.
3. I thought I made my point clearly...I disagreed with your statement.
4. Since you made the original comment it would have been hard to argue my side without having that comment and therefore you, in there somewhere. So unfortunately 'making it personal' was going to happen one way or other...but...
5. Please understand that I intended no attack on you! You're a valued member in good standing here and therefore you have my respect and support. I thought to disagree with a comment, I tried to explain why.
6. If you really think what I said is out of line I'll take the post and all subsequent posts relating to it out of this thread. A little surgery, so to speak.