user signatures

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No one is trying to force anything on anyone else, just voicing an opinion. The face analogy is a bad one, because you can't change your face. You can easily change your signature. We're not saying anything is completely broken, but in need of a tune-up. Some people don't know when a car needs a tune-up, but other will notice when something is a little bit off. If anything, people with overly large signatures are the ones who force others to scroll past irrelevant content when they are looking to participate. No one who have voiced this concern has demanded anything, but made recommendations that would help make the forum more usable. Please don't blatantly mis-characterize and mis-construe our intentions.

Your signature is another illustration of the concerns some of us are expressing. Your signature contains bold and colored font, which draw attention to the signature, away from your post. Furthermore, you have a graphic with large font (much larger than the standard forum font), which also screams for attention. When reading a thread with these sort of signatures interspersed, you must constantly ignore the things which are most likely to draw the eye, which creates a certain amount of mental dissonance. It's a milder form of trying to watch a television program with Richard Simmons dancing around next to the TV set dressed in bright colors. You can certainly ignore him if you wish, but it is distracting, and you might miss some of the program, and have to rewind it (like scrolling around to find the actual content of short posts between the large, flamboyant signatures).

The snarky side of me wants to make a ridiculously obnoxious signature to illustrate the problem by exaggeration. I'm not sure that is a considerate thing to do, but it would make the point. I could also add 500 lines of pipes and tobaccos to my sidebar.

Things that would help those of us who find it mildly irritating to ignore Mr. Simmons dancing around:
-limiting pipes/tobaccos listed space or moving it to the signature, profile page, or somewhere else.
-increasing standard font size of posts, but not signatures
-adding option for individual users to ignore signatures (the platform may not support this)

The snarky side: instead of forcing everyone to read this on every page I've posted in, I'll just put it here in this thread. Imagine having to read that after every one of my posts. It would get old. You signature is not nearly this bad, but it illustrates the point.

Hey everyone, look at my big signature. Have a good look at some blank space:

funny-animated-gifs.jpg

More unnecessary blank space:

:afro: :elephant: :bball: 

:bball: :joker: 

Cats-Animated-Gifs-26.gif

url.gif

funny-animated-gifs-hands-up.gif

Did you actually read my post, or did you just jump straight to the moving images?

Thomas Tkach":9aoy4e2j said:
No one is trying to force anything on anyone else, just voicing an opinion. The face analogy is a bad one, because you can't change your face. You can easily change your signature. We're not saying anything is completely broken, but in need of a tune-up. Some people don't know when a car needs a tune-up, but other will notice when something is a little bit off. If anything, people with overly large signatures are the ones who force others to scroll past irrelevant content when they are looking to participate. No one who have voiced this concern has demanded anything, but made recommendations that would help make the forum more usable. Please don't blatantly mis-characterize and mis-construe our intentions.

Your signature is another illustration of the concerns some of us are expressing. Your signature contains bold and colored font, which draw attention to the signature, away from your post. Furthermore, you have a graphic with large font (much larger than the standard forum font), which also screams for attention. When reading a thread with these sort of signatures interspersed, you must constantly ignore the things which are most likely to draw the eye, which creates a certain amount of mental dissonance. It's a milder form of trying to watch a television program with Richard Simmons dancing around next to the TV set dressed in bright colors. You can certainly ignore him if you wish, but it is distracting, and you might miss some of the program, and have to rewind it (like scrolling around to find the actual content of short posts between the large, flamboyant signatures).

The snarky side of me wants to make a ridiculously obnoxious signature to illustrate the problem by exaggeration. I'm not sure that is a considerate thing to do, but it would make the point. I could also add 500 lines of pipes and tobaccos to my sidebar.

Things that would help those of us who find it mildly irritating to ignore Mr. Simmons dancing around:
-limiting pipes/tobaccos listed space or moving it to the signature, profile page, or somewhere else.
-adding option for individual users to ignore signatures (the platform may not support this)

The snarky side: instead of forcing everyone to read this on every page I've posted in, I'll just put it here in this thread. Imagine having to read that after every one of my posts. It would get old. You signature is not nearly this bad, but it illustrates the point.

funny-animated-gifs.jpg

url.gif

Cute kitty.  :cat: 
 ;) 

Obviously people with a short attention will be drawn to the signatures in which you sqeak but, for some reason they have never bothered me. It's like people complaining of bold type and such, it's never bothered me and never will. Maybe it's because I tend to worry about the bigger things in life. ;) 

I think there are valid points to both sides of this argument and it is nice to see a clean thread with few distractions. At the same rate some form of self expression is always good. As usual, these types of things should be left to the Moderators. After all we are all just guests at their party here.

Let the good times roll.  ;) 

DrumsAndBeer":n964fz2f said:
I think there are valid points to both sides of this argument and it is nice to see a clean thread with few distractions. At the same rate some form of self expression is always good. As usual, these types of things should be left to the Moderators. After all we are all just guests at their party here.

Let the good times roll.  ;) 

"After all we are all just guests at their party here"

I think this sums it up.

pepesdad1":n7ftfw86 said:

I think this sums it up.
Yeap, no one ever said this was a democracy - and honestly I like it the way it is. There are myriad other forums out there, some with more elegant interfaces and some with less (though to be fair I'm only guessing, as I like it here and have never felt the need to look elsewhere.)

Bluefisher":xvujk3yc said:
pepesdad1":xvujk3yc said:

I think this sums it up.
Yeap, no one ever said this was a democracy - and honestly I like it the way it is. There are myriad other forums out there, some with more elegant interfaces and some with less (though to be fair I'm only guessing, as I like it here and have never felt the need to look elsewhere.)
That was my point. Don't like it here....carry your *ss.

EVERYBODY"S got SOMETHING that irratate's 'em. Just gotta keep going Onward thru the Fog  :twisted: :twisted: 

Hermit":9z42q876 said:
Thomas Tkach":9z42q876 said:

funny-animated-gifs.jpg

url.gif

Cute kitty.   :cat: 
 ;) 

+1

Yeah baby

Maybe some of us like it here, are loyal to this board, but just think it could be tweaked or slightly improved. The option (if available) for individual users to ignore signatures would limit no one's self expression, but make things more comfortable at least a few users who have mentioned things here (and maybe more that haven't seen this thread). No one is trying to demand everyone drop their signatures and completely change things. Cheers, gents!

Thomas.
It IS an all or nothing proposition. And one we (the mod team) aren't going to screw with.... Sorry, but it's true. There's very little in The tweaking department allowed by Forumotion. Transfering to a straight Bb software where tweaks are allowed and easy has been discussed in the past but the risk/reward and the TIME are against such a move.
It is what it is.

Well, thanks for letting me know that. I was unaware of the time involved--I just didn't want an easy tweak, if it existed, to go unused. Thanks to all the mods for their work!

P.S. I like your sig ;)

gravel":dhju6qp7 said:
Cartaphilus":dhju6qp7 said:
MisterE":dhju6qp7 said:
Check out how many pipes I gots.
Ooh! I'm really like 5058223172 & 6274956735
My phone wants me to dial those numbers.
As a joke, I had put Pi to 5000 digits, or so, in my signature. It was looooong. Cart saw it and commented, but I decided to remove it after a few minutes. Yes, I'm an ass, but my conscience wouldn't let me leave it that way.