What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished re-reading "Life" by Keith Richards. Even though I've never been a huge fan of the Rolling Stones or Richards for that matter, it's a very interesting narrative.

The guy has certainly used up 8 of his 9 lives based on his former drug habits and generally unhealthy lifestyle. But he takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'!

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":8oxrtoxn said:
Just finished re-reading "Life" by Keith Richards. Even though I've never been a huge fan of the Rolling Stones or Richards for that matter, it's a very interesting narrative.

The guy has certainly used up 8 of his 9 lives based on his former drug habits and generally unhealthy lifestyle. But he takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'!

Cheers,

RR
His book has been high on my list of reads for some time. I do like the Stones so it will be interesting to read the smut.

DrumsAndBeer":7uootu7a said:
Brewdude":7uootu7a said:

Cheers,

RR
His book has been high on my list of reads for some time. I do like the Stones so it will be interesting to read the smut.
If you'd like to borrow my copy I'll be happy to send it to you D&B. Just pm me.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":ct6nxf96 said:
If you'd like to borrow my copy I'll be happy to send it to you D&B. Just pm me.
Thanks for the offer BD. I have a copy, but I need to finish the Game of Thrones books first. Almost 2 down, 3 to go. ;)

DrumsAndBeer":8ujji51t said:
Brewdude":8ujji51t said:
Thanks for the offer BD. I have a copy, but I need to finish the Game of Thrones books first. Almost 2 down, 3 to go. ;)

GOT series is great! I'm really jonesing for Winds of Winter! Currently reading I curse the River of Time by Per Petterson.

Just started Rebel Yell: The Violence, Passion, and Redemption of Stonewall Jackson.

I just started "The Winds of War" by Herman Wouk.

Dave_In_Philly":qamne3fc said:
Just started John le Carre's The Spy Who Came in From the Cold.
I like this one quite a bit. Have you read Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy? Also good, IMHO.

If you like the whole "gritty" side of the spy genre (as in, le Carre's interpretation as opposed to the glamorous portrayal of Ian Fleming), you might want to look at Daniel Silva. I think I'd call him the modern day version of le Carre. For my part, he's my favorite fiction author still putting out novels on a regular basis.

I've decided I need some light reading thrillers for a while - I'm working my through Tess Gerritson's novels (the basis for the TV Show Rizzoli and Isles). I expected to be disappointed, but the first three books have been serviceable enough.

I absolutely agree with you, Ian. I grew up preferring Matt Helm novels to James Bond, but these days I prefer the less outlandish story lines. I have read TTSS, but my favorite of the genre is a Underground City by HL Humes.

I'll have to add him to my GoodReads queue...I thought I knew my way around my the spy genre pretty well, but I've never even heard of this guy, to be honest.

I don't think he wrote too many, I think there may be just one other novel. He started the Paris Review and was a contemporary of Normal Mailer. I'd offer to send you my copy, but its so heavy that its probably cheaper to buy it on Amazon then to ship it through USPS.

Just started listening to Dr. Robert Greenberg's lectures on "The Operas of Mozart". A remarkable instructor gifted in so many ways. I strongly encourage everyone to go to Audible and order one of his classes. A brilliant and dynamic man. One of the top listening experiences of my life.

The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton.

Just finished "Black Elk Speaks," by John G. Neihardt. Black Elk was an Oglala Sioux medicine man, spiritual leader and visionary who fought as a youngster at Little Big Horn, was present at the massacre at Wounded Knee and traveled to England where he met Queen Victoria. BES is a transcript of a several-day interview with Black Elk that was edited by J.G. Neihardt, who was the poet laureate of Nebraska.

For the heck of it, I just finished reading through the 'Percy Jackson' series, and am currently well into Arthur Herman's The Cave and the Light, which tries to relate all of Western intellectual history directly back to Plato v Aristotle (sometimes stretching the 'direct' relationships pretty far, not to mention pushing the power of intellectual history further than those not in the field ever would)

Status
Not open for further replies.