What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Afternoon my friends.
Today I'm calling heritage day. Where as I'm going to smoke some of the pipes that belonged to either my Grandfather or Father. And so without further ado, I'm going to smoke one of my Grandads pipes. I don't know who made it, but the Hallmarks on the mount date from 1908, and the Silversmith is William H Newman. And I'm going to fill it with St. Bruno. The pistol lighter you see in the picture, is a vintage Dunhill Tinder pistol. It's useless for lighting pipes. It was more for cigars. But my Grandad use to amuse me, by turning his pipe upside down in his mouth, and lighting it that way. And it still strikes and lights today, as easily as it ever did. The Gold Dunhill roller gas was my dad's pride and joy 😊
But enough with my family history lesson, let's light this beauty up and remember some great times. Enjoy your day my friends 😊
20230722_141159.jpg

Just opened G.L. Pease Jackknife Plug dated 6-2-21 sliced on my homemade sugar maple cutting board with my spiffy @Zippo endorsed razor knife. My intention was to cut flakes from the side and fold and stuff. The slices were pretty thick but folded stuffed and twisted into this GBD Prehistoric 9493 pot. Right off it's a high quality Virginia that I'm anticipating will develop more complexity as the bowl progresses.
20230722_082150.jpg
20230722_083411.jpg

Just opened G.L. Pease Jackknife Plug dated 6-2-21 sliced on my homemade sugar maple cutting board with my spiffy @Zippo endorsed razor knife. My intention was to cut flakes from the side and fold and stuff. The slices were pretty thick but folded stuffed and twisted into this GBD Prehistoric 9493 pot. Right off it's a high quality Virginia that I'm anticipating will develop more complexity as the bowl progresses.
View attachment 11457View attachment 11459
And very spiffy it is too Swede 🫡

Lancaster in a Larsen cognac. A box of Italian cigars comes in tomorrow, I remember they were pretty good, Toscano originale. Cigars last a lot longer than pipe tobacco, from the time I buy them. These ones are "friendship cigars," you cut them in half and share them with a buddy. Oddly shaped, for me they're good.
View attachment 11444
If I'm not mistaken, those have dark fired tobacco from my part of the country. I've had those and other similar Italian brands, and always think of them as Clint Eastwood cigars. They are good and strong.
BTW, I checked my coffee scoop volume and it is a nice full rounded piled high tablespoon. I use 6 only because the old popper can't handle more.

Good morning guys. Urban Cowboy in a Don Carlos huge bent dublin with my first mug of Costa Rican coffee. I can't get over all the effort you guys put into roasting coffee beans. Hard to believe it's that much better than what I buy already done. I would try it but I'm way too lazy and I like what I'm drinking now, lol. Wonder if any of you guys have tried the Kopi Luwak coffee collected from Palm Civet feces? At $100 per pound it's a cinch I'll never try it, lol.

View attachment 11457View attachment 11459
Swede, what is the brand of your knife? Can't make it out from the photo.

Good morning guys. Urban Cowboy in a Don Carlos huge bent dublin with my first mug of Costa Rican coffee. I can't get over all the effort you guys put into roasting coffee beans. Hard to believe it's that much better than what I buy already done. I would try it but I'm way too lazy and I like what I'm drinking now, lol. Wonder if any of you guys have tried the Kopi Luwak coffee collected from Palm Civet feces? At $100 per pound it's a cinch I'll never try it, lol.
I'm with you Ranger Buddy, I wouldn't try it either 🤢

Swede, what is the brand of your knife? Can't make it out from the photo.
It's a Rough Rider (or spelled sometimes) Ryder from Smoky Mountain Knife right here in Tennessee. Unfortunately made in China, but a decent quality cheap knife. I bought it just to cut tobacco although I thought about shaving with it. In a pinch I could abd tried, but don't like the thought of an unsteady hand mistake 😀

It's a Rough Rider (or spelled sometimes) Ryder from Smoky Mountain Knife right here in Tennessee. Unfortunately made in China, but a decent quality cheap knife. I bought it just to cut tobacco although I thought about shaving with it. In a pinch I could abd tried, but don't like the thought of an unsteady hand mistake 😀
Chinese or not, its still spiffy 😁

It's mostly worth it, if you want really fresh roasted coffee, but is time consuming. You can save some money too, but I've heard lose 20-25% weight in water loss from the green beans. I've slacked off and now mostly use Seattle's Best Post Alley because my wife likes it. I kid her about it because the bag says "smoky and intense" 😀

Having CS Shepherds Pie in a Randy Wiley freehand bent dublin in a vain attempt to chase away the gnats. With my 3rd mug of CR coffee. Swede, I have a fixed blade hunting knife I bought from Sears Roebuck when I was 14, so 60+ years old. Used it for deer skinning for many years. If I sharpened it right I could shave with it but didn't care for the crocodile Dundee image, lol.

Charley, the best coffee beans I ever had are pure 100% Kona beans from Hawaii, very pricey!
The best cigar I ever had was a Hawaiian cigar, I was in Hawaii though. That one really made me think I wanted to be a smoker. Thanks EZ.
IslandPrince1ct2000x2000.jpg

Finishing the Best of the Rest English from last night in my Manzoni.

Last edited:
Continuing my Heritage day. Next up is my Grandfathers Henry Tounge Bulldog circa 1911. This use to have an Amber stem. But it finally gave up the ghost and died. Now it's fitted with a normal acrylic.
But still smokes awesomely well. Dr Jiminks has two of these, with original stems, for those who would like to see how it should look.
Going to fill it with some Erinmore and light it with my Dad's pipe Zippo, which isn't the lighter in the picture, it's just that I can't be bothered to re-photograph lol. Then I'll sit back and continue reminiscing.
20220726_132901.jpg

Last edited:
GH Bob's Flake in a MM Cobbit with wire lasso. I'm glad I got all this flake when it was on sale. The coffee's a hit, even the overly roasted stuff, my dad polished that off this morning. The second batch tastes like what they serve in the Stumptown coffee places in downtown Portland. Seven more kinds of beans to try. 😀
20230619_095438.jpg

Almost half way through this bowl of early 2000s Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style. Watching the Yankees-Royals game.
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg