What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finishing second half of yesterday's CS Faulkner Flake in undated Heberling

IMG_20230927_135523539_HDR.jpg

@Ranger107
I brew on the bold 8 ounce setting on our machine and it's a decent cup of coffee. We compost both k-cup style coffee through our worm farm, these are easy, I just cut below the plastic rim and scoop out any ground stuck to the top. Their regular pods have a tab on the aluminum top that we pull back and scoop the grounds from.

Enjoyed four stacked egg, ham and cheese biscuits with a big golden delicious apple on the side for lunch. I'm nearing the last quarter of this bowl of year 2000 VaPer Three Nuns in a 1938 straight black grain relief Dunhill OX Shell bulldog with a silver band repair with a black vulcanite saddle stem.
Dunhill_1938_left.jpg

Nearing the last quarter of this bowl of Watch City American Cut Plug Mixture in a smooth medium bend terracotta Peterson POY 2023 X160 464/1100 military mount egg with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. Apparently, I'm not going to get the scent out of the Mark Twain Pete. Five salt and alcohol treatments, three activated charcoal and alcohol treatments, and a lot of scrubbing haven't done the job.
Peterson_POY2023_X160.jpg

I'm always amazed at the nice grain on these pipes. Some things I've read said the company had a major briar supply back in the day. I like the Yello-Boles a bit better than Kaywoodie due to it being easier to narrow down a date range. Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Some people call yello-boles "kaywoodie seconds", but I think that's a misnomer. For most of the 20th century Kaywoodie was the largest consumer of briar on the planet, with only the choicest large sections of the burl being used for kaywoodies, that left a whole lot of leftover briar which yello-bole got.

In my experience I have found yello-boles to be smaller than kaywoodies on average. I think yello-bole got the pick of all the cuts of burl that were slightly too small, or had a small inculsion, and then the rest was sold off to other pipe brands. I find early yello-boles usually have few to no inclusions, and because of the limited number of very old burls they eventually used up, better grain than most high end factory pipes I have seen. With the removable stinger they smoke better for me than kaywoodies.

Sorry for the rant lol, Yello-boles are my favorite pipe, and I love the convoluted history of old american pipes companys.

Half way through this bowl of Seattle Pipe Club Deception Pass plug in a smooth straight brown late 1930s Linkman’s Dr. Grabow Deluxe Bruyere 9703B pot with a nickel accent and a black tapered vulcanite stem.
Linkman's_Dr. Grabow_Deluxe9703B_pot.jpg

@Ranger107
I brew on the bold 8 ounce setting on our machine and it's a decent cup of coffee. We compost both k-cup style coffee through our worm farm, these are easy, I just cut below the plastic rim and scoop out any ground stuck to the top. Their regular pods have a tab on the aluminum top that we pull back and scoop the grounds from.
Bet those are some amped up worms 😏

Some people call yello-boles "kaywoodie seconds", but I think that's a misnomer. For most of the 20th century Kaywoodie was the largest consumer of briar on the planet, with only the choicest large sections of the burl being used for kaywoodies, that left a whole lot of leftover briar which yello-bole got.

In my experience I have found yello-boles to be smaller than kaywoodies on average. I think yello-bole got the pick of all the cuts of burl that were slightly too small, or had a small inculsion, and then the rest was sold off to other pipe brands. I find early yello-boles usually have few to no inclusions, and because of the limited number of very old burls they eventually used up, better grain than most high end factory pipes I have seen. With the removable stinger they smoke better for me than kaywoodies.

Sorry for the rant lol, Yello-boles are my favorite pipe, and I love the convoluted history of old american pipes companys.
I love that old American pipe briar in stealth mode on quality appreciation. They are making up more of my armory these days.

Closing in on the half way mark on this bowl of Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Evening Flake in a smooth medium bend 2021 Peterson Ebony POTY 4AB No. 422/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. Watching the Braves-Cubs game.
4AB_Ebony.jpg

Relaxing after a wonderful salad, lots of chicken legs and Middle Eastern rice and lentils with a big slice of chocolate cake for dessert. I'm a third of the way through this bowl of KBV Verge Engine Santa Drive in a 1978 Peterson Deluxe 20S medium bend smooth dark brown billiard with a silver cap military mount black vulcanite saddle p-lip stem. Communty Coffee, neat, is my drink. Braves just beat the Cubs in the 10th, and Ronald Acuna, Jr. just became the first ball player to have a 40 homer, 70 stolen base season. Quite remarkable.
Peterson_Deluxe20S_1978_P-Lip.jpg

A third of the way through this bowl of Seattle Pipe Club Give Me Liberty in a straight smooth medium brown pre-1920 straight Marechal Ruchon & Cie. Royale apple with a sterling silver band and a tapered black vulcanite stem.
Marechal Ruchon & Cie. Royale apple.jpg

The little kitty showed up to eat some minutes ago. She's nervous because she's never seen m'lady before, but she wasn't fighting me either.
Jim&Velda.jpg