What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A third of a bowl left of Wilke No. 515 Double Shot in a smooth dark medium bend 2021 Peterson Heritage Brown POTY 4AB No. 45/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. This is No. 515 with twice the rum of the Basil Rathbone blend. Finished work for the day, fed Sleepy Suzy and Molly Danger, and was surprised to see that none of the ferals were outside. They probably went to Waffle House. 🤯
View attachment 13216
I envy you having a Waffle House. When I lived/worked down south it was a fav breakfast place. When I worked at Atlanta Airport had breakfast there probably 5 days a week.

Good morning BoBs. Starting with Urban Cowboy in a Don Carlos huge bent dublin and CR coffee. Doing a volunteer stint with the wife today at the VA. They are short handed due to illness and vacations and she would have been by herself at the main entry. Too much work/activity for one person.

Sutliff Whimsical in a new to me Digby 357 prince shape. This is supposed to be a GBD second and has the same number as a GBD prince. It has some small fills. There is a D on top of the stem which seems to be well made and passes a cleaner but needs more work with a Mr. Clean pad. I believe this is brown colored vulcanite stem not just oxidation. I had second thoughts on this one vs the Savory's prince, but it has a larger bowl at 31mm deep and 21mm wide, so about 1.2 x .8. So far, the Savory's smokes better.
20231010_094557.jpg

Not far from finishing this bowl of early 2000s Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style.
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg

Sutliff Whimsical in a new to me Digby 357 prince shape. This is supposed to be a GBD second and has the same number as a GBD prince. It has some small fills. There is a D on top of the stem which seems to be well made and passes a cleaner but needs more work with a Mr. Clean pad. I believe this is brown colored vulcanite stem not just oxidation. I had second thoughts on this one vs the Savory's prince, but it has a larger bowl at 31mm deep and 21mm wide, so about 1.2 x .8. So far, the Savory's smokes better.
View attachment 13219
If I may make a suggestion: in my opinion, the best seconds were made by Comoy's, particularly pre-1970s. Sasieni seconds are good, too, but I'll take a Comoy's second over any other company.

If I may make a suggestion: in my opinion, the best seconds were made by Comoy's, particularly pre-1970s. Sasieni seconds are good, too, but I'll take a Comoy's second over any other company.
Thanks Jim, this is really helpful. I'll be learning about those names to look for as Comoy's seconds. There is so much to learn about pipes, and I count my blessed to get suggestions and that there are so many well made pipes that are estates and new.

Smoking some Cult red moon in a Bari Ruby, I have had this tobacco a few months and it some how seems better than it was before? I know Virginia tobacco ages well,but I really did not think that their was that much Virginia in it, I always thought that it took years for Virginia to mellow out... Probably ,just my quirky taste buds.

Enjoyed a tasty lunch, and am smoking Sutliff Maple Shadows in a 1960s Austrian meerschaum bent apple with a tapered yellow acrylic stem. It goes on sale this Friday the 13 at 6 p.m. EST. Virginias, burleys, and DFK topped with maple. Only sold in an eight ounce can.
Austrian_meer_apple.jpg

Thanks Jim, this is really helpful. I'll be learning about those names to look for as Comoy's seconds. There is so much to learn about pipes, and I count my blessed to get suggestions and that there are so many well made pipes that are estates and new.
Here's a list of Comoy's seconds: Comoy's - Pipedia

I haven't found a mediocre Comoy's second yet (and I have a bunch of them), but here's a list of the ones that I recommend the most: St. James, Lion's Head, Wilshire, and Sunrise (particularly the pre-WW2). Other good ones include Ancestor, Guildhall, The Exmoor Pipe, The Lumberman, King's Way, and Canadian Club.

Comoy's pipes made for shops that are excellent: Sutliff of San Francisco, Grant's Pipe Shop, John's Pipe Shop, Wagner, and Jost's. The Corinthian line in the shop pipes is the best of them.

I own 61 Comoy's firsts and seconds. I would say the 1920s-1940s seconds smoke as well as the firsts at much cheaper prices, and is the era of which I am most familiar. I have a lot of firsts from that era, too, but there's not much difference between them and the seconds outside of grain. The internals of all that I own are perfect.

A third of the way through this bowl of Sutliff Maple Shadows in a medium bend fumed tan crackled year 2020 Ahmet Govem reverse calabash meerschaum with a military mount silver band and black acrylic stem. Working on a review as I watch the Twins-Astros game.
Ahmet Govem reverse calabash meer.jpg