What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a list of Comoy's seconds: Comoy's - Pipedia

I haven't found a mediocre Comoy's second yet (and I have a bunch of them), but here's a list of the ones that I recommend the most: St. James, Lion's Head, Wilshire, and Sunrise (particularly the pre-WW2). Other good ones include Ancestor, Guildhall, The Exmoor Pipe, The Lumberman, King's Way, and Canadian Club.

Comoy's pipes made for shops that are excellent: Sutliff of San Francisco, Grant's Pipe Shop, John's Pipe Shop, Wagner, and Jost's. The Corinthian line in the shop pipes is the best of them.

I own 61 Comoy's firsts and seconds. I would say the 1920s-1940s seconds smoke as well as the firsts at much cheaper prices, and is the era of which I am most familiar. I have a lot of firsts from that era, too, but there's not much difference between them and the seconds outside of grain. The internals of all that I own are perfect.
Jim, I'm amazed at all this information and at how you can keep up with all the pipes in your collection. I have my reading and searching set for weeks now. I don’t have any of these, but have seen some of them for sale. I really appreciate the list of pipe shop pipes made Comoy's. Reading on the origin on Comoy's, I appreciate the French connection too 😊 Thanks again.

PS Luxury Navy Flake in a Ropp Virgin De Luxe 951.
20231010_153709.jpg

A third of the way through this bowl of year 2020 D&R Raccoon’s Delight in my very reliable smooth straight post-1938 pre-Republic Peterson Sterling Canadian 263 with a sterling silver band and a tapered black vulcanite p-lip stem. Working and listening to the ball game.
Peterson_PR_Canadian_Sterling263.jpg

Jim, I'm amazed at all this information and at how you can keep up with all the pipes in your collection. I have my reading and searching set for weeks now. I don’t have any of these, but have seen some of them for sale. I really appreciate the list of pipe shop pipes made Comoy's. Reading on the origin on Comoy's, I appreciate the French connection too 😊 Thanks again.
Any time, buddy. I'm always happy to share whatever knowledge I have.

Smoking a Bari Wiking, Extra long bent Rhodesian, MB symphony and a bottle of mineral water. I got 2 of these pipes, one is a regular length, and the other the extra long, both are great smokers .Last smoke of the day for me.

Finished that page except for filling in black areas, broken down a bunch of boxes for recycle, and am nearing the half way mark on this bowl of year 2013 Rotary Navy Cut in a post-1938 Pre-Republic Peterson Dublin straight smooth X155 bulldog with a sterling silver band and a tapered black vulcanite p-lip stem. Nigel Bruce smoked this model in two Sherlock Holmes movies. Please consider asking Smoking Pipes to bring back this model.
Peterson_PR_Bulldog_XL155.jpg

Relaxing after a wonderful salad, chicken legs and snow peas dinner with strawberries for dessert. I'm almost half way through this bowl of Ascanian No. 1 in a straight smooth dark brown 1930s (Comoy’s) The Exmoor Pipe 283 chubby Rhodesian with a tapered black vulcanite stem. Community Coffee, neat, is my drink. Watching the O's-Rangers game. @Swede will like the pipe. :)
Comoy’s_The Exmoor Pipe 283 Rhodesian.jpg

Now smoking Wilke No. 72 in a pre-1974 dark brown straight Larus & Brother Co. Signature billiard with a nickel band and a tapered black vulcanite stem with the initials LCR on the top of the stem. This blend was smoked by Walter Cronkite.
Larus and Brother pot.jpg

Part way through this bowl of year 2017 Esoterica Dorchester in a straight smooth brown 1920s KBB Rocky Briar 1582 patent no.298978 with a B in a circle bulldog with a tapered black vulcanite stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
KBB Kaywoodie_Rocky1582-bulldog.jpg

@Ranger107 's Urban Cowboy in an MM Pride raw cob with forever stem. I am glad to say I'm enjoying this great blend at the end of my lunch break from getting all the stair treads installed on the deck stairs. Next is the stair railing, and that's a finicky bit of work.
Totally agree Swede, Rangers Urban Cowboy is a great smoke.
Which reminds me of a story, I failed to post or mention, like I meant to do.
It happens about a week ago, I was in the pub, i know, nothing new there🤣
I filled a bowl of Urban Cowboy and wheeled myself off to the smoke room. And whilst eagerly puffing away, a fellow piper came in. A rather pompous and boastful chap, who really isnt my cup of tea. "Mmmm that smells nice he says. What is it. I replied Urban Cowboy. He looked at me quizzically, but before he could ask I continued. It's a bespoke tobacco, I have it blended and imported from Ranger & Co in Arizona USA. I let him fill his pipe with a few pinches, and he loved it. Then I had to tell him the truth, because he asked for the web address, as he was going to order a bucket load 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Last smoke of the day is year 2014 Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match in a 2018 full bend smooth Terracotta Peterson XL315 System Standard military mount with a nickel cap and a flared black vulcanite p-lip stem. It's time to check on the ferals.
Peterson_XL315_Terracotta.jpg

Good morning my friends and fellow BoBs 😊
It's a rather gloomy start to the day today, after what has been, a rather awesomely warm and unseasonably brilliant start to October.
This morning I'll start my day with a large pot of Yorkshire Tea and fill a Savinelli Long John with some Petersons Early Morning pipe. And wish you all an awesome day 😊
20230624_111405.jpg

Previously, I had never bothered to try to have a pipe on the three days each week that I am on the road for work. I like to relax with my pipe, which requires a comfortable setting, and having a smoke in the hotel parking lot, which is right next to the interstate, is not my idea of relaxation - I tried it once, and it was not nice. Well, I always knew there was a small lake behind the hotel, and even walked back there once to see if there was a suitable pipe lounge; there definitely wasn't, and you kind of feel like a serial killer is going to pop out of the trees.

Anyway, the other week I got adventurous and took a drive on the road that goes behind the lake and discovered that there's a golf course back there, and the shore is well maintained and pleasant. I've seen people fishing there, and it looked like a good pipe spot. I've tried it twice now, and it's very enjoyable; I may stick a folding camp chair in the back of the car and really make an event out of it.

Last night I had some Lane 1Q in a MM Night Rider and it was extremely pleasant. One Christmas present I requested is a pipe travel bag. I had nowhere to use it when I asked for it, but now I do ;) Sure beats a ziplock bag!