What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Passing the quarter mark of this bowl of Watch City Santa’s Sack in a medium bend fumed tan crackled year 2020 Ahmet Govem reverse calabash meerschaum with a military mount silver band and black acrylic stem. Working on a review. Dunno if there's a release date yet.
Ahmet Govem reverse calabash meer.jpg

Well the puppy was a big hit with the girls yesterday, other than going pee I don't think he touched the floor the whole time lol.

Before I go to town on some thanksgiving leftovers I'm having some GH American delite in a medico gold crest billiard. This stuff is aptly named because I've really been going through it, it reminds me of a more refined Captain Black with higher quality tobaccos and subtler flavoring.

Thanks for the insight on the pipe @JimInks! I thought it might be a parker based on what I found on reborn pipes also (excellent website), the pipe was unsmoked when I bought it so I figured it was a basket pipe they didn't want their name on. Maybe they just didn't stamp the sandblasted ones? Either way, it's a fantastic smoker.
View attachment 13854
Nice lighting!

Relaxing after a wonderful salad, orange roughy and snow peas dinner with strawberries for dessert. I'm half way through this bowl of year 2020 Watch City Rouxgaroux in a smooth medium bend 2021 Peterson POTY Natural 4AB No. 6/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. Community Coffee, neat, is my drink. Going to work before long. See you folks later.
4AB_Nat_left.jpg

Did a lot of work, then more work keeping the ferals apart so all of them would eat in peace, and I'm not far from he half way mark of this bowl of Wilke No. 515 Double Shot in a smooth dark medium bend 2021 Peterson Heritage Brown POTY 4AB No. 45/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. This is No. 515 with twice the rum of the Basil Rathbone blend. I hope I get to end the day with this smoke.
4AB_Brown-left.jpg

Smoking a CustomBilt original with MB 7 seas regular blend,bottle of Poland spring, water. Most of the decorations for Christmas are up and working ! Trying to convince my wife to go to 5 pm mass with me soon. I have to work tomorrow morning.
How is the 7 Seas regular? My wife bought me a 3.5 tin about four years ago and I never opened it. I have so many tubs and tins in jars that I opened, I'm trying to get through some of them before I open anything else. Is it like Captain Black original?

Good morning BoBs. Up very early, an hour before sunrise. Got the chores done, made coffee, filled the bird feeders and took them out. Now settled in with CS Choctaw in a Sav Hercules 606EX and a big mug of Joses Mayan coffee. A new blend we're trying out from Costco. It's okay but I prefer the Costa Rican blend. RalphM, I don't smoke Captain Black so can't compare but I can say the 7 Seas original is very good. I tried it and the Red which was a bit disappointing but the original is top notch.

Good morning BoBs. Up very early, an hour before sunrise. Got the chores done, made coffee, filled the bird feeders and took them out. Now settled in with CS Choctaw in a Sav Hercules 606EX and a big mug of Joses Mayan coffee. A new blend we're trying out from Costco. It's okay but I prefer the Costa Rican blend. RalphM, I don't smoke Captain Black so can't compare but I can say the 7 Seas original is very good. I tried it and the Red which was a bit disappointing but the original is top notch.
Thank you for replying. I totally agree with you on the red. I bought an ounce to try and I couldn't even get half way through the bowl. I like cherry tobacco but this stuff was horrible. It tasted and smelled like cherry Chapstick and it roasted my mouth.

Wanted something different for an afternoon smoke so pulled out a well aged jar of McBaren Plum Cake and it was moldy as 6 month old cheese. Had to toss it. Never had that happen to any tobacco before. Any thoughts on why? So switched to Lancer Slices in a rarely smoked Preben Holm handmade freehand from Ben Wade. Should pull this out more often as it's a good smoker. Having dinner with friends so this will be my last pipe today. Have a good evening my friends.
Just the other day I had to chuck out my jar of ageing Three Nuns mixture for the same reason. No idea what the reason could be, since my other jarred blends are doing fine. I'll order more "Trio-of-Consecrated- Ladies" soon, since some of my other tobaccos are getting low. Everybody have a good Thanksgiving?

Thank you for replying. I totally agree with you on the red. I bought an ounce to try and I couldn't even get half way through the bowl. I like cherry tobacco but this stuff was horrible. It tasted and smelled like cherry Chapstick and it roasted my mouth.
The chapstick comment was funny not the other

Last edited:
Just the other day I had to chuck out my jar of ageing Three Nuns mixture for the same reason. No idea what the reason could be, since my other jarred blends are doing fine. I'll order more "Trio-of-Consecrated- Ladies" soon, since some of my other tobaccos are getting low. Everybody have a good Thanksgiving?
My Thanksgiving started off crappy. But I saved it. I got up very early to stuff the turkey because I had to work Thursday night graveyard shift. I made the homemade stuffing and opened the turkey. There were weird brown spots on the wing tips and a nasty bruise on the breast. I was so upset because I really try to give my wife and two sons a great Thanksgiving. So, my oldest son said "Dad, you've always made Thanksgiving and Christmas special, this is nothing. I'll go to the supermarket and get another one, hopefully I can find a fresh one and not frozen." So him and my wife went to the Giant food store and picked up a 8lbs turkey breast. So a baked the stuffing in a casserole dish and the huge turkey breast in a separate pan. Came out great! With the tobacco issue with mold, I don't think I ever had that happen. I have crystals on a lot of my Samual Gawith and Gawith Hoggarth flakes. The first time I saw this phenomenon was when a friend sent me some Samual Gawith Full Virginia Flake and 1792 Flake. He sent me aged flakes, I texted him and asked him if it was mold and he said "no, it's sugar crystals." I put a pen light up to the flakes and sure enough they sparkled like diamonds. I'm trying to think if I had anything with mold. I've only been smoking a pipe for 12 years. Maybe I haven't been piping long enough to experience that. Now I do have some G.L.Pease and a few Cornell and Diehl older blends in my cellar that are bulging, so I'm a little nervous about opening them. I wouldn't be suprised if one or two of those cans have moldy tobacco in them.

The chapstick comment was funny not the other
I know what you where laughing at lol. When I received the 7 Seas Red I was kind of surprised that the tobacco was one color. Mine was completely all light brown, almost golden. I suspect that there is no burley in it and only virginia. The only straight virginia I can smoke is SG Full Virginia Flake, and I have to smoke it in one of my Savinelli's with a 6mm charcoal filter.

Back home from work,Smoking a Neerup bent brandy with Capt black royal ,mug of DD coffee.it was a nice sunny morning,although a bit chilly, now it`s warmed up but gotten cloudy. I still have a lot to do outside yet.
Ralph, I smoke capt black royal ,too. But I like MB 7 seas much better. I usually smoke a pound of the 7 seas regular blend a month, I buy it in bulk from the WV smoke shop. I never cared for the other 7 seas blends that I tried.

Eggnog coffee with some MM150th in my little meer. I'm on a mission to colour my meers a bit before the new year. I'll post before and after shots then.

View attachment 13869
Looking forward to the shots. I don't own any meers yet, but I always enjoy seeing how the color develops on them!