What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now smoking year 2015 John Aylesbury Sir John’s Flake Virginia in a straight smooth light brown 2020 Ryan Alden Ace of Spades squat bulldog with a spalted pecan top and ferrule that’s attached to the tapered black acrylic stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Ryan_Alden_BD_right.jpg

Last smoke of the day is Wilke No. 515 Double Shot in a smooth dark medium bend 2021 Peterson Heritage Brown POTY 4AB No. 45/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. This is No. 515 with twice the rum of the Basil Rathbone blend. Watched Arlo Guthrie wish me a Merry Christmas for the 20th time. It still makes me laugh.
4AB_Brown-left.jpg

Smoking a Bari Wiking freehand with Lane LL-7,Mc Cafe k-cup. I was out filling the bird feeders and I saw a parade of garbage trucks go by ,picking up everyone`s bags of leaves! I can only assume that everyone was complaining and they had no choice. I know people gave them hell about this at a town hall meeting last week!

IMG_4281.jpeg

Working from home today and decided to do a little experiment with The Royal Yacht in a few different pipe materials:

(1) my Old German Clay “The Offering” tester;
(2) my AKB Meerschaum smooth cherrywood tester; and
(3) my Rattray 100 Goblin (dedicated to this blend for some reason)

Also loaded a bowl of Elizabethan Mixture into my new Chacom 996 Rhodesian, which has been perfect for this blend.

Question: for some reason, I really love The Royal Yacht and I wonder if you all can help me to explore blends similar to this “unique” mixture. What I enjoy isn’t the Vitamin N, but rather the way the Virginias are so smooth and subdued (in some blends I like them to sing, but here they just hum comfortingly in the dark), and the fact that the topping is “deep” flavored (not flowery or sweet). Thanks!

big mug of Columbian coffee. It's pretty good but I
will be glad when this is gone and we can get back to the Costa Rican blend.
I've been working on a 5 pound bag of green Columbian beans and will be glad when they're gone! Nothing wrong with Columbian, just nothing to stand out. Ethiopian Yirgacheffe is my favorite but Sumatra Mandheling, Costa Rican Tarrazu and Guatemalan Huehuetenango all have great flavors.

Nearing the last quarter of this bowl of early 2000s Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style. Watching Mad Dog Russo. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg

Enjoyed a tall stack of cinnamon raisin French toast with a golden delicious apple on the side, followed by a half pound cheeseburger. Yeah, I was extra hungry today, but it's back to the diet now. I'm smoking Peretti Royal in a black sandblasted medium bend 2013 Mark Tinsky Coral 5 cherrywood with a smooth dark brown shank and bottom with a tapered black briar accented acrylic stem. Gold Star Jamaican Blue Mountain, neat, is my drink.
Tinsky_Cherrywood.jpg

Relaxing afternoon, having RedVaPer Kake in the Crippled Cobbler. Blending Sutliff's Red Virginia and VaPerique Kakes made an excellent, smooth tobacco I enjoy most in my cobs.

Cobbler.JPG

The rim fault on this pipe extends lower and deeper into the bowl and it overheats very quickly. MM refunded my purchase without argument or hesitation. I will continue to enjoy it while it lasts. They would gladly have sent me a replacement but international shipping itself would exceed the value of the pipe, a completely satisfactory assessment in my opinion.

Late afternoon smoke of Drucquer Levant in a Sav 1/4 bent bulldog with oolong tea aside. Guess I should call it a pre dinner smoke. Wifey got a coupon for 1/2 off the 2nd entree at one of the better restaurants in town so as soon as she gets home from the VA we're going to indulge ourselves. Lol.