What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must find…. I am a total Anglophile, we keep joking that we want to be surrogate grandchildren to a kind old couple in a small English village and they give us their cottage in the will. I want it to be the same walking distance to the pub and church.
I wanted the same thing, except for me to have English grandparents they would have to be 120 years old at least, lol. However, I do consider Zippo a surrogate brother, but I dont think he will leave me his estate. Maybe a pipe or two. LOL.

Relaxing after a wonderful salad, grouper and snow peas dinner with a bowl of Spumoni ice cream for dessert. I've a third of a bowl left of Sutliff States of Virginia Limited Edition ’23 in an undated, unbranded straight lattice meerschaum military mount with a silver cap and tapered yellow acrylic stem. Community Coffee, neat, is my drink.
Unbranded MM meer.jpg

Enjoyed a tasty golden delicious apple, and have about a quarter of a bowl left of year 2001 Murray’s Dunhill Navy Rolls in a very early Ascorti straight New Dear KS billiard with a smooth shank with a black acrylic stem.
Ascorti_NewDearKS_billiard_smooth.jpg

Now smoking C&D Exclusive in a 1986 three quarter bend Bacchus face CAO meer with a tapered dark tortoise shell colored acrylic stem. It's time to re-review this blend, especially since it's not the same perique used when I smoked it in the past.
CAO-Bacchus.jpg

I do not have a discerning palate when it comes to tobacco, Jim. Sometimes I envy that. I imagine my bank account would be quite slim if I did, my impulse control is poor. I am trying to improve it somewhat by better educating myself about common blends, English/Balkan, Turkish/Oriental, Virginia with Perique or Burley, and Cavendish with Virginia and Burley. I'm trying to stay away from aromatics and using blending tobaccos. Identifying difference in Virginias or Latakias or Periques is beyond me.

I'm having Old Professor in my MMBB while I write this. I think it's a very characteristic English blend.

PS: I always smile when I see your Bacchanalian meer on the page. Party animal.

Attachments

• MMBB.jpg
    MMBB.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Did a little low calorie snacking, and have passed the half way mark of this bowl of year 2010 Full Virginia Flake in a slight bend 1968 group 4S Dunhill Shell 475 cherrywood with a tapered black vulcanite stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink. Watching an episode of Longstreet.
Dunhill_1968Cherrywood_Shell_475_4S.jpg

I do not have a discerning palate when it comes to tobacco, Jim. Sometimes I envy that. I imagine my bank account would be quite slim if I did, my impulse control is poor. I am trying to improve it somewhat by better educating myself about common blends, English/Balkan, Turkish/Oriental, Virginia with Perique or Burley, and Cavendish with Virginia and Burley. I'm trying to stay away from aromatics and using blending tobaccos. Identifying difference in Virginias or Latakias or Periques is beyond me.

I'm having Old Professor in my MMBB while I write this. I think it's a very characteristic English blend.

PS: I always smile when I see your Bacchanalian meer on the page. Party animal.
I know you didn't ask for advice, but I'm taking the liberty of offering you some. Hope you don't mind.

Smoke your blending tobaccos straight in a medium size bowl like an egg, pot, or billiard. Don't use a pipe with a narrow chamber or tapered like a dublin. Take notes of what you taste each time. At some point, you'll figure some things out, and notice some of those aspects in a mixed blend of tobaccos. It takes time; took me years, but try it and see how it goes.

Yeah, that meer is a fav of mine.

Last edited:
Half way through this bowl of year 2015 John Aylesbury Sir John’s Flake Virginia in a straight smooth light brown 2020 Ryan Alden Ace of Spades squat bulldog with a spalted pecan top and ferrule that’s attached to the tapered black acrylic stem.
Ryan_Alden_BD_right.jpg

There’s barely been any feral drama the past couple of days. Sam the Scamp and Abner the Eager are spending less time here. I suspect Tomato the Brave, and especially Daisy the Feral Princess are the reasons. I saw Harry the Hairy once on Friday, and not at all today. Harry didn’t hang around much when he was here on Friday, and he has cut down on his time here the past four days.

Sam the Scamp and Abner the Eager argued a bit over who would walk with me during the last two laps of my second set of walks today to the extent that neither of them did. They have been reluctant to come inside for over a week now. I’m sure it’s because of Daisy and Tomato. I pick them up, bring them in eat and guard them. Sam wanted back outside after a few minutes of love and attention from yours truly. Abner went behind m’lady’s chair to snooze for a few hours.

Somebody left a mouse on the outside back door mat this morning. I’ll bet it was Daisy the Feral Princess as she done that a couple of times in the past. Tomato the Brave spent most this cold day inside. Scared Stripesy has shown up the last two days, and was sort of friendly to me Friday night because he was hungry. I tried to wait him out by staying near the food plate, and he was so hungry that he got within three feet of me, but no closer. I finally went inside to let him eat in peace because I saw nothing more was going to happen. He ran from me very quickly tonight, so no progress was made.
SS_StaresDeck1.jpg

SSFoodDish1.jpg

Half way through this bowl of year 2015 John Aylesbury Sir John’s Flake Virginia in a straight smooth light brown 2020 Ryan Alden Ace of Spades squat bulldog with a spalted pecan top and ferrule that’s attached to the tapered black acrylic stem.
View attachment 15788

There’s barely been any feral drama the past couple of days. Sam the Scamp and Abner the Eager are spending less time here. I suspect Tomato the Brave, and especially Daisy the Feral Princess are the reasons. I saw Harry the Hairy once on Friday, and not at all today. Harry didn’t hang around much when he was here on Friday, and he has cut down on his time here the past four days.

Sam the Scamp and Abner the Eager argued a bit over who would walk with me during the last two laps of my second set of walks today to the extent that neither of them did. They have been reluctant to come inside for over a week now. I’m sure it’s because of Daisy and Tomato. I pick them up, bring them in eat and guard them. Sam wanted back outside after a few minutes of love and attention from yours truly. Abner went behind m’lady’s chair to snooze for a few hours.

Somebody left a mouse on the outside back door mat this morning. I’ll bet it was Daisy the Feral Princess as she done that a couple of times in the past. Tomato the Brave spent most this cold day inside. Scared Stripesy has shown up the last two days, and was sort of friendly to me Friday night because he was hungry. I tried to wait him out by staying near the food plate, and he was so hungry that he got within three feet of me, but no closer. I finally went inside to let him eat in peace because I saw nothing more was going to happen. He ran from me very quickly tonight, so no progress was made.
View attachment 15789
View attachment 15790
We babysat my niece’s rabbit and our cat was scared of it.

Attachments

• IMG_5284.jpeg
    IMG_5284.jpeg
    917.8 KB · Views: 0
Last smoke of the day is Watch City American Cut Plug Mixture in a smooth medium bend terracotta Peterson POY 2023 X160 464/1100 military mount egg with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. Reading while this bowl lasts.
Peterson_POY2023_X160.jpg

I wanted the same thing, except for me to have English grandparents they would have to be 120 years old at least, lol. However, I do consider Zippo a surrogate brother, but I dont think he will leave me his estate. Maybe a pipe or two. LOL.
It is something that has always amazed me. We have a very large Country Estate owned by the Duke and Dutchess of Bedford very close to us (3 miles away).
And it is always busy with tourists, especially Americans. Consequently our village being so close, is always overun with tourists clicking away with thier cameras, and loving the quintessential Englishness of our pub, and "Little cottages" some of which are older than your country. Whilst for me, I love the vast huge-ness and modern-ness of America.😂

Attachments

• 1.3235665-image-3218099958.jpg
    1.3235665-image-3218099958.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 0
Good Morning!
I slept a bit late and had to do chores when I got up, the animals were no worse for the wear. Starting off with GLP Westminster in an Apple Diplomat as has been my starting point over the last few weeks. I made a moka pot of Ethiopian Yirgacheffe for morning coffee.

Yesterday afternoon I had a visit from a friend and his bride to be. That was followed by a call from a different friend who's planning his upcoming move to the Philippines. Leftovers for dinner and my wife returning home from work. I managed to fit in a bowl of Mac Baren HH Pure Virginia and two GLP Abingdon in assorted Rob Roys.

It is something that has always amazed me. We have a very large Country Estate owned by the Duke and Dutchess of Bedford very close to us (3 miles away).
And it is always busy with tourists, especially Americans. Consequently our village being so close, is always overun with tourists clicking away with thier cameras, and loving the quintessential Englishness of our pub, and "Little cottages" some of which are older than your country. Whilst for me, I love the vast huge-ness and modern-ness of America.😂
I think for most Americans the small English towns with their pubs and cottages take us back to a simpler time when we weren't so overwhelmed by technology and the fast pace of life that is prevelant here. That's why we love where we live. It has a small town feel but still has modern amenities. And we do have pubs here but we call them saloons, lol.

Kind of forgot but of my 8 great grandparents 3 were English. I am 1/2 English, 1/4 Scotch, and 1/4 Irish.

Unless I am reviewing, running errands, or am out of town, I don't repeat a blend during the day. I have several blends for certain purposes because they are easy burners that don't need many relights while I am busy: work smokes and walking smokes. Three Sails (and D&R blends in general) is a walking smoke that seldom requires a relight.

I start everyday with EGR because it's a comfortable way to do so.
Thank you for responding Jim. I enjoy your content and your reviews. I've been reading them since I started smoking a pipe. I'll have to try Three Sails and D and R tobacco. I thought those two were unflavored high quality cigarette tobacco. Very interesting. When my wife smoked cigarettes I bought her a rolling machine and Buglar tobacco. To my surprise it was made by Lane, Tucker. GA, before they moved. I smoked that in my pipe a few times while waiting for my tub of Prince Albert to arrive, of course this was before I bought a case of PA lol. To be honest, it wasn't bad! Smoked like a regular unflavored burley blend.

Good morning,
Smoking Sutliff Creme Brulee in a Custom-bilt Oom-Paul, DD coffee. Only reason I got out of bed was to feed the animals-indoor and outdoors,still feel like crap and I may go back to bed. It`s 32 and sunny here!