What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some Black Mallory in this old Hilson calabash shape. My wife gifted me this pipe; I don't remember what she paid but I remember it was a big expenditure for us, living in a 2nd floor walkup and surviving on my graduate assistanceship and her job at the gas company; I think she made $325 a month and when she got the job we thought we were rich. It may not be the best pipe in my rack but it may be the most precious, and I will say, in 50+ years I don't ever remember it giving me a bad smoke.

JGopTDIl.jpg

Enjoyed a tasty lunch, and am smoking year 2013 Capstan Blue in a smooth dark brown post-WWII Comoy’s Grand Slam 340 patent billiard with a tapered black vulcanite stem. Have enough left for a small bowl. Working and listening to the Red Sox-Yankees game.
Comoy's_Grand Slam.jpg

Hello,
Smoking some Casey Jones/ PS Vanilla Cavendish blend in my E-bay Custombilt Ooom-Paul pipe. Ranger, The Custombilts are a very good pipe. I have always enjoyed everyone of the 8 pipes I own.If you like a larger pipe with thick walls like I do their perfect. From the little I know Tracy mincer started making these pipes in the late 40`s.He had stores here in NY as well as a catalog business. His business had taken off in the 50`s. and he had many different pipe companies making pipes for him,one of the big ones back in the day was Wally Frank, I also read somewhere that he had European companies making pipes for him-I have never seen one.Sadly, Mr.MINCER was not good with money and was always in financial trouble and sold the company. He made a few other pipes, one was the doodler an air cooled pipe,It looked odd but It worked ! I had one many years ago.He also made a line called my nibbs?
Anyway, From my experience the EUGENE RICH era pipes where the best. I just love having a nice big carved pipe in my hand, I have a couple of OOM-Pauls that are getting harder to find, a few straight billiards and the rest are full bent pipes Honestly, These pipes are a steal on E-bay,but I am noticing there prices are going up.I would advise you to try a large full bent one,you can probably score a decent one for about 100$ Sorry for the long post but as you can tell I love these old pipes!

Relaxing after a wonderful salad, t-bone steak, mashed potatoes and buttered corn dinner with a scoop of French vanilla ice cream for dessert. I'm a third of the way through this bowl of year 2012 St. James Flake in a straight 1968 Dunhill Tanshell octagonal paneled EK F/T billiard with a square shank and tapered black vulcanite stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink. Watching the Braves-Marlins game. I'm DVRing the Red Sox-Yankees for later this evening.
Dunhill_1968Tanshell_Billiard.jpg

Dunhill_1968Tanshell_Billiard_Top.jpg

Had some McClelland Black Shag generously gifted to me by Mikem in a Maestro de Paya 1/4 bent blasted Rhodesian. As much as I appreciate Mike's generosity, have to say this one fell a little short. Dry out of the tin, a bit bland, thin, and nothing to write home about. Really can't believe the infamous Mr. Holmes would have liked this. I tried the Dr. Watson years ago, and I remember it as being much better. Might try to spice it up with some Latakia.

Starting off my smoking day with a bowl of circa year 2000 Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style.
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg

Hello,
Smoking some Casey Jones/ PS Vanilla Cavendish blend in my E-bay Custombilt Ooom-Paul pipe. Ranger, The Custombilts are a very good pipe. I have always enjoyed everyone of the 8 pipes I own.If you like a larger pipe with thick walls like I do their perfect. From the little I know Tracy mincer started making these pipes in the late 40`s.He had stores here in NY as well as a catalog business. His business had taken off in the 50`s. and he had many different pipe companies making pipes for him,one of the big ones back in the day was Wally Frank, I also read somewhere that he had European companies making pipes for him-I have never seen one.Sadly, Mr.MINCER was not good with money and was always in financial trouble and sold the company. He made a few other pipes, one was the doodler an air cooled pipe,It looked odd but It worked ! I had one many years ago.He also made a line called my nibbs?
Anyway, From my experience the EUGENE RICH era pipes where the best. I just love having a nice big carved pipe in my hand, I have a couple of OOM-Pauls that are getting harder to find, a few straight billiards and the rest are full bent pipes Honestly, These pipes are a steal on E-bay,but I am noticing there prices are going up.I would advise you to try a large full bent one,you can probably score a decent one for about 100$ Sorry for the long post but as you can tell I love these old pipes!
Thanks for the info.

A third of the way through this bowl of year 2000 Wessex Brigade Sovereign Curly Cut in a smooth straight Lane era Charatan Executive Extra Large stretch apple with diagonal channel cuts on the lower right and left of the bowl along with a black vulcanite double comfort saddle stem. This pipe was formerly owned by actor William Conrad. This smoke will probably be interrupted by lunch.
Conrad_apple-thumbnail copy.jpg

Hearth & Home AJ's VaPer in Ferndown Reo * with silver band and wide tapered vulcanite stem. I've been smoking this pipe for over 15 years but for the life of me I can't remember the name of the shape. I just polished and cleaned this and my other Ferndown pipes.

IMG_7518.jpg

IMG_7519.jpg

IMG_7520.jpg

A third of the way through this bowl of Watch City Glass Slipper Micro-Batch in an undated straight brown sandblasted Tom Eltang cherrywood with a black acrylic saddle stem. Time for another set of walking reps.
Tom_Eltang_Cherrywood.jpg