What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I sit here watching The Long walk, (for my American friends), It's the walk that the new Prince of Wales takes to meet and grieve with the people . Right now he's walking with the Princess of Wales, his brother Harry and Megan of Sussex. I suddenly felt an urge to smoke a pipe I very rarely smoke. This pipe belonged to my father, and before him my grandfather. I don't know its brand or its age. The hallmarks on the silver are worn, and the stamp on the briar has long faded. But I suddenly feel an urge to touch my own personal history, so I'll plug it with Petersons Elizabethan mixture. And continue watching this very emotional event. Have a great day my friends
Zippo,
Sorry for the loss of your Queen. She’s been around for just about everyones life. God Bless England.

Your dad’s and grandad’s pipe is for sure from Birmingham and probably circa 1892. I can’t make out the third marking. I’m glad you treasure and find comfort in that family heirloom.

Last edited:
Half way through this bowl of year 2016 Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake in a straight smooth brown post-1964 Parker Super Bruyere 88/F group 3 bulldog with a tapered black vulcanite stem. This will get me to lunch time. Larry's El Salvador Dali, neat, is my drink.
1964on_Parker_SB_88_group 3 bulldog.jpg

Enjoyed a tasty lunch, and am half way through this bowl of year 2018 Solani 633 in a straight 1954 patent Dunhill 148 Group 3 black shell bulldog made for the France market with a black saddle vulcanite stem.
Dunhill_1954_Shell_Bulldog148.jpg

About a third of a bowl left of year 2014 MacBaren Three Nuns in a 2002 Caminetto J.N.C.C. Spool three quarter bend flat top and bottom with sandblast in-between and a black acrylic stem. Haven't smoked this pipe in a while.
Caminetto J.N.C.C. Spool.jpg

Today’s tobacco lineup:
Peter Stokkebye’s Luxury Twist Flake in my Peterson Ashford XL90...much better than I rembered.
Peter Stokkebye’s Luxury Navy Flake in my Castello K-31...nice smooth Va/Per as always.
Country Squire’s Cowboy Coffee in my Castello 31 Trademark KKKK...Rangers favorite and I understand why. Another tobacco similar to my beloved Three Nuns.

Today’s tobacco lineup:
Peter Stokkebye’s Luxury Twist Flake in my Peterson Ashford XL90...much better than I rembered.
Peter Stokkebye’s Luxury Navy Flake in my Castello K-31...nice smooth Va/Per as always.
Country Squire’s Cowboy Coffee in my Castello 31 Trademark KKKK...Rangers favorite and I understand why. Another tobacco similar to my beloved Three Nuns.
Yep. Cowboy Coffee is good stuff, especially with cowboy coffee, lol.

Caught up watching college football, but dark snuck up on me, so decided to light the Dietz lantern and finish this St. James flake. View attachment 6086
I can smell the kerosene from here. Another nostalgic aroma. It’s funny how as we age, we yearn for the days of old.

I can smell the kerosene from here. Another nostalgic aroma. It’s funny how as we get older, we yearn for the days of old.
That's it exactly, although I've mostly used colemans camping and such. I got interested in the old kerosene lanterns, and picked up about 5 for emergency, etc. Get my kerosene from the local Ace Hardware. I like the smell of it too.That one is a pre 1956 and made in the USA. I've found that I like the softer warm light of these, and will sometime read my paper by them.

That's it exactly, although I've mostly used colemans camping and such. I got interested in the old kerosene lanterns, and picked up about 5 for emergency, etc. Get my kerosene from the local Ace Hardware. I like the smell of it too.That one is a pre 1956 and made in the USA. I've found that I like the softer warm light of these, and will sometime read my paper by them.
Okay, now I’m picturing you reading by the warm glow of the lantern with a pair of wire rim Ben Franklin spectacles. Lol.

Relaxing after a wonderful salad, wild caught catfish and mashed potatoes dinner with strawberries for dessert. I'm a third of the way through this bowl of year 2013 Capstan Blue in a 2015 Ryan Alden quarter bend burgundy sandblasted Queen of Hearts freehand with a black acrylic saddle stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink. Watching the Braves-Mariners game and getting ready to clean some pipes.
Ryan_Alden_QueenofHearts.jpg

Smoking a new to me Caminetto straight billiard with W O Larsen 1864 and a McCafe k-cup. This E-bay seller really surprised me. This pipe looked brand new and was ready to smoke on arrival, it was shipped Priority mail at his expense-it arrived in 2 days! WOW!

Zippo,
Sorry for the loss of your Queen. She’s been around for just about everyones life. God Bless England.

Your dad’s and grandad’s pipe is for sure from Birmingham and probably circa 1892. I can’t make out the third marking. I’m glad you treasure and find comfort in that family heirloom.
Thank you for that Sturdy, yes Birmingham is correct, it's the one thing that is still easily readable. And I to have been told 1890s. But that's all, everything else is to far erased. The pipe however still smokes incredibly well. Both the bowl and amber stem are in excellent condition, with a little loss of polish on the end of the shank. It has now been placed back in my rack of treasured pipes. And will now only be continued to be smoked on my father and grandads birthday.