What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First foray with Sutliff's Mixture 79 #600 (Bulk). Back in the early days when I had taken up the pipe, I loved Lakeland tobacco, especially Samuel Gawith Grousemoor. Mixture 79 brings up all kinds of fond memories of those Lakeland days and I'll consider it an American Lakeland. It certainly struck the right chord today.

Enjoyed in a Rattray smooth bent Goblin with Cowboy Coffee on the side. Looking forward to this one in a Clay.

First foray with Sutliff's Mixture 79 #600 (Bulk). Back in the early days when I had taken up the pipe, I loved Lakeland tobacco, especially Samuel Gawith Grousemoor. Mixture 79 brings up all kinds of fond memories of those Lakeland days and I'll consider it an American Lakeland. It certainly struck the right chord today.

Enjoyed in a Rattray smooth bent Goblin with Cowboy Coffee on the side. Looking forward to this one in a Clay.
Mention of Mixture 79 gives me the shudders. o_O I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. But mention of the Rattray's Goblin interests me as they seem to be reasonably priced. If I'm reading between the lines correctly maybe it wasn't such a good smoker because you are looking forward to trying That Which May Not Be Spoken Of in a clay?

Mention of Mixture 79 gives me the shudders. o_O I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. But mention of the Rattray's Goblin interests me as they seem to be reasonably priced. If I'm reading between the lines correctly maybe it wasn't such a good smoker because you are looking forward to trying That Which May Not Be Spoken Of in a clay?
Sorry Brun, gotta go with Paul on this one. Had it back in the day, was okay but always smoked hot for me. Tried the match blend recently. Got about 6 bowls through the pouch and tossed the rest. That is saying something for me cause you guys know I am cheap and will not toss tobacco if it can be made smokeable. But, seeing no redeeming quality to this blend at all figured it wasn't worth the trouble to try and save.

Wilke Sailor Jack in a Mastro di Paja 1/4 bent apple. More sooty taste in this pipe than the previous two pipes I've tried this in (Design Berlin non-filtered and B&B 9mm). Need to try in a meer for a more neutral impression. Still, some nice play of flavors to enjoy.

DGT'd earlier today a Savinelli Tundra 320 EX loaded with SPC Plum Pudding Special Reserve, the last of that can (don't worry, there is more where that came from), going to finish it, then on to WC Old Black Magic in a rather large Refbjerg slightly bent brandy/lovat sort of pipe. I'll finish up with WC Flake #558 in the Radice Fauxboo.
The Refbjerg for a size comparison. The Peterson is a 312.
uY1Wdgg.jpg

Sorry Brun, gotta go with Paul on this one. Had it back in the day, was okay but always smoked hot for me. Tried the match blend recently. Got about 6 bowls through the pouch and tossed the rest. That is saying something for me cause you guys know I am cheap and will not toss tobacco if it can be made smokeable. But, seeing no redeeming quality to this blend at all figured it wasn't worth the trouble to try and save.
Sorry, my bad on the reply. It was to Paul. and I agree with Brunello. Mix 79 match is just not anywhere close to my cup of coffee.

CH in my new Aldo Velani. Glad I got this. As near to a perfect straight grain as I have ever seen and incredibly light for its size. Even the wife commented that it is a beautiful pipe. And I was able to justify it by telling her I got it for half price. Didn't tell her what that price was however, lol.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-12-11-09-44-55.png
    Screenshot_2020-12-11-09-44-55.png
    653.6 KB · Views: 70
DGT'd earlier today a Savinelli Tundra 320 EX loaded with SPC Plum Pudding Special Reserve, the last of that can (don't worry, there is more where that came from), going to finish it, then on to WC Old Black Magic in a rather large Refbjerg slightly bent brandy/lovat sort of pipe. I'll finish up with WC Flake #558 in the Radice Fauxboo.
uY1Wdgg.jpg
Colossal! That must be a two hour smoker, minimum. :)

uY1Wdgg.jpg
Wow, nice pipe. Load that baby up with some sutliff black cordial and your good to go for an entire afternoon.

Sorry, my bad on the reply. It was to Paul. and I agree with Brunello. Mix 79 match is just not anywhere close to my cup of coffee.
Hey, nobody is right or wrong here, just different strokes for different folks. My comments were intended to be teasing. It's almost a fluke that he chose one of only two tobaccos that would ever give me such a visceral gut reaction like that, the other being Gettysburg (which tasted of dirty coffee grinds). Even so, I'd rather hear about Paul enjoying his piping experience - whatever it is - than posting a big negative rant. I need to try and remember to keep my posts upbeat because (other than in reviews) we mostly don't want to read about bad or boring bowls. FWIW. ;)

Hey, nobody is right or wrong here, just different strokes for different folks. My comments were intended to be teasing. It's almost a fluke that he chose one of only two tobaccos that would ever give me such a visceral gut reaction like that, the other being Gettysburg (which tasted of dirty coffee grinds). Even so, I'd rather hear about Paul enjoying his piping experience - whatever it is - than posting a big negative rant. I need to try and remember to keep my posts upbeat because (other than in reviews) we mostly don't want to read about bad or boring bowls. FWIW. ;)
Absolutely Bru. Not trying to put a damper on anyone. Glad Paul is enjoying the mix 79, just don't see hoe based on my experience with it, lol. But to each his own.

Second smoke this am. Xmas spice in the new Road Town dublin. When I got this was a little disappointed that it was smaller than I expected, but the smaller size and lighter weight make it a great clincher. Good little smoker. Thanks again to Paul for turning me on to these pipes.

Continued exploration of Country Squire blends:

Before lunch I enjoyed Country Squire Cherokee in a half bent rusticated Medico Crest. Pleasant by itself but I'll want to try sprinkling in a little C&D dark Burley to give it some more backbone.

Presently near the end of a bowl of Old Toby in a Nording Rhodesian. This is a sugar-cased Va-Bur-Per but I honestly don't taste any spice or distinctiveness from the Perique. Tastes like a generic B&M Cavendish blend to me. I'll want to add a good portion of Burley to take this in a more semi-aromatic direction if I'm to get through the two ounce supply. Any suggestions for tweaks from those who know this blend??

Anyhow, looking forward to the real star of the show, later this afternoon: Rivendell. That's the one to buy by the pound. Oh, I'm supposed to cool it with the recommendations . . . sorry.

Up this evening: WC Rouxgaroux in the B&B Larrysson 2018 POY a blasted bent Dublin; then Sutliff J4 Burley in an Arley Curtz 1/2 bent pot, the top pipe (obviously, eh?)
mZCnrCv.jpg