What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We just moved the ducklings to larger quarters. We move them one at a time to give them an illusion of flying, unfortunately my wife was in the exhaust path of two of hers and is upstairs changing! I'm enjoying GH Balkan Mixture in a Pride along with a Downeast unfiltered hard cider.
Exhaust indeed! That's a good one.

Never heard of Bradford White; is that a pipe brand? Do they still make them? Where did you go to study about this information? Sounds interesting. I like Dr. Grabow pipes, maybe because my first pipe was a Grabow and it made an impression on me. Back then I was smoking blends like Middleton Cherry and Borkum Riff and burned my tongue/mouth a lot and figured it just went along with pipe smoking. I ordered two Dr. Grabows from the factory recently and was not happy when I received them - the Rhodesian didn't have rings cut into the bowl as it was pictured in the catalog mailer and the billiard did not have the white spade on the stem and was not stamped with the model name (Grand Duke or Riviera, can't remember). So I sent them back and asked for a refund if they couldn't provide me with pipes that matched the pictures in the mailer. In a week, they sent me back two pipes that satisfied my request - great customer service.
I got my brands mixed in on that post. It's a water heater brand. I usually read reviews or forum posts to see what other people encounter with a brand and model, if possible.
I intend to add a Grabow to the lineup, and will look for a vintage one most likely. Its good to hear that a USA company is giving good service like that.

SG Best Brown Flake in a Savinelli 815KS Oscar Aged Briar which is very capable with flakes. Seattle's Best coffee as I watch it steadily rain. Oh well, it gives me time to catch up on what you guys are smoking and in what pipe, and read my paper. I probably should work on some pipes I've bought that need cleaning.

My family saw meals the same way. The admonishment regarding those who don't have any dinner was a reminder to not waste the food you put on your plate. A minimal amount of our waste from food preparation becomes trash. Ends, peels, bad spots, gristle etc. gets filtered through the dog, cats, birds, bunnies and the bottom of the line is the worm farm. It's a waste not want not philosophy and while meals didn't begin by saying grace they ended with "thank God for that!"
Ours was pretty much the same. I was constantly reminded that there were starving kids in India. Lol.

I think I heard in a YTPC video that in the old days, a lot of folks just viewed pipes as a disposable tool. Smoke until you can't use it anymore, and then throw/put it away and get a new one.
Yep. As a kid the only pipes I ever saw were the "drugstore" brands. Kaywoodie, Yellowbowl, Dr. Graybow, basket pipes and cobs. When I started smoking a pipe in college the old guy who ran the pipe and tobacco shop close to campus advised me to get a Guildhall by Comoys. It was cheap and a good smoker. My 2nd was an actual Comoys rhat I would still have if Jiminks hadn't swiped it from me during a frat house pot party. Lol.

We gave a local high school teacher some logs that we hadn't used and found out see was teaching sustainability at the school and planned to use them to demonstrate hugleculture(sp.) and had beehives and a worm farm that didn't make it. I offered her some worms to restart it. She came back this morning for the rest of the logs and brought a worm tray. It had been modified and I believe the modification was her problem so I gave her some worms and taught her about vermicomposting.

I finished a few more chores and now I get to sit back with GH Balkan Mixture in a Pride, I just might finish my first cup of coffee before lunch!

Good morning my fellow BoBs. Nice day here in the mountains. Had a good rain last night but the wind made a mess on the patio. Starting the day with my own Urban Cowboy in a large Calabresi bent brandy. Hot mug of strong black Costa Rican coffee. Heading over to PV for the Home and Garden show later. Don't need anything but always fun to look. Couple of fat quail chowing down in the feeder. Zippo, glad you got your tooth fixed so you can enjoy a pipe with us again. Have a great day everyone.

Slept in much later than planned, but I'm finally moving around and am almost half way through this bowl of early 2000s Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style.
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg

I think I heard in a YTPC video that in the old days, a lot of folks just viewed pipes as a disposable tool. Smoke until you can't use it anymore, and then throw/put it away and get a new one.
That's true by percentage of smokers. In fact, even Alfred Hitchcock never cleaned or reamed his straight grain Dunhills. When the cake got too thick to pack much tobacco in it, he threw it in a box, and started on another. When he died, his estate sold those pipes as is, and still made good money on them due to who had owned them. A friend of mine bought one, and had it restored, and had to get a replacement stem because Hitchcock (like Einstein) would bite holes in his stems.

Yep. As a kid the only pipes I ever saw were the "drugstore" brands. Kaywoodie, Yellowbowl, Dr. Graybow, basket pipes and cobs. When I started smoking a pipe in college the old guy who ran the pipe and tobacco shop close to campus advised me to get a Guildhall by Comoys. It was cheap and a good smoker. My 2nd was an actual Comoys rhat I would still have if Jiminks hadn't swiped it from me during a frat house pot party. Lol.
I'd plead guilty, but I have never smoked pot. :p

Just over a quarter of a bowl left of aged Rattrays Hal O’ The Wynd in a straight smooth brown pre-WWII (Comoy’s) Corinthian De-Luxe 126 pot made for Sutliff in San Francisco with a black tapered vulcanite stem. Been doing heavy duty cleaning on five estate pipes. I like them very clean before I smoke them.
Comoy's_Sutliff_CorinthianDe-Luxe_126 pot .jpg