What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good evening, fellows. I had a plumber come out and replace my pressure reducing valve and he discovered that my water heater had a leak. It's worn out and is situated under the house in the crawlspace. I can't replace it by myself because of my knee and my back issues, but he said it would be $2475 to replace it, which includes the new water heater. Does that sound high to you? Think I'm going to get some more estimates. Oh, and I'm smoking Carter Hall in a Dunhill Root apple.
That sounds high, but I've seen quotes to replace a $15 Moen faucet cartridge, which takes ten minutes for a tradesman, for $300. Water heaters today are made like junk, too. Big Surprise. I was told if you get 10 years out of a new one, you're on the lucky side. Same for water softeners. An older lady down the street just had her softener replaced, and the first estimate was $1800 or $2000. I honestly don't know how people are going to do it. If you're replacing these kinds of things every 10 years or less, who is going to be able afford it? Nothing against the trades, but geez, it's nuts. Are they going to have to get in there with a shop vac and suck up all that water and clean it up? Maybe that is why it is so high?

66° and sunny. Beautiful day. Stanwell with 5 year old LNF. Another caramelly, fine smoke. 7/10.

During my zoom meeting I've smoked Black Twist in an Altinay squat Dublin, half and half with a big pinch of MB vanilla cream in a clay pipe, GH Whisky Twist in a Rob Vacher Bamboo poker, and now Luxury Bullseye Flake in a Mastro Geppetto Rusticato. The half and half goes well with the Mac Baren, a little bit goes a long way. I got the idea from Steven Rosenthal's book on blending, it goes well with whisky đź‘Ť

Enjoyed a tall stack of cinnamon raisin French toast with a hand full of unsalted peanuts and a golden delicious apple on the side. I'm passing the half way mark on this bowl of KBV Prince of Wales in a straight smooth terracotta 2014 Sherlock Holmes Baker Street bulldog with sterling silver band and a tapered black p-lip stem. Lavazza Classico, neat, is my drink. Cleaning a few previously smoked pipe while the estate pipes I've been cleaning are drying.
Peterson Sherlock Holmes BakerStreet_Terracotta.jpg

That sounds high, but I've seen quotes to replace a $15 Moen faucet cartridge, which takes ten minutes for a tradesman, for $300. Water heaters today are made like junk, too. Big Surprise. I was told if you get 10 years out of a new one, you're on the lucky side. Same for water softeners. An older lady down the street just had her softener replaced, and the first estimate was $1800 or $2000. I honestly don't know how people are going to do it. If you're replacing these kinds of things every 10 years or less, who is going to be able afford it? Nothing against the trades, but geez, it's nuts. Are they going to have to get in there with a shop vac and suck up all that water and clean it up? Maybe that is why it is so high?

66° and sunny. Beautiful day. Stanwell with 5 year old LNF. Another caramelly, fine smoke. 7/10.
It will be a difficult job since it is in the crawlspace, but I think I can get some more reasonable estimates. I don't know if he was planning on vacuuming the water from the spill.

I'm smoking some Amphora Original in a Ranz Freehand pipe.
Rons-Pipe-4-001-zpsu6b5lnlg.jpg

Last edited:
Almost finished smoking year 2013 E-soterica Tilbury in a smooth medium bend 1999 Peterson Sherlock Holmes Series Milverton with a sterling silver band and a black vulcanite p-lip stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Peterson Sherlock Holmes_Milverton.jpg

Passing the first third of this bowl of KBV Mr. Christian’s Kraken Plug in a post-1938 pre-Republic Peterson Dublin straight smooth X155 bulldog with a sterling silver band and a tapered black vulcanite p-lip stem. Nigel Bruce smoked this model in two Sherlock Holmes movies. If you’re interested in getting one, please contact Smoking Pipes and ask them to put this model back into production.
Peterson_PR_Bulldog_XL155.jpg

Nearing the half way mark on this bowl of year 2016 Sutliff 507-C Slices in a black sandblast PSB medium bend 2021 Peterson POTY 4AB No. 228/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. Watching the Braves-Mariners game.
4AB_PSB_left.jpg

Enjoyed a tall stack of cinnamon raisin French toast with a hand full of unsalted peanuts and a golden delicious apple on the side. I'm passing the half way mark on this bowl of KBV Prince of Wales in a straight smooth terracotta 2014 Sherlock Holmes Baker Street bulldog with sterling silver band and a tapered black p-lip stem. Lavazza Classico, neat, is my drink. Cleaning a few previously smoked pipe while the estate pipes I've been cleaning are drying.
View attachment 9752
Jim, I really like that shape in the SH Baker Steet; the beaded accent is terrific. I have it in a Kinsale but it really looks great in the Baker Street!

ba9hJxwl.jpg

Relaxing after a wonderful salad, two three quarter pound French cut pork chops with green beans and mashed potatoes dinner with a bowl of vanilla bean ice cream for dessert. I'm half way through this bowl of Mac Baren HH Burley Flake in a straight smooth dark brown 1918 Pre-Republic Peterson’s Dublin 2 apple with a silver band and a tapered black vulcanite p-lip stem.
Peterson_PR_Dublin2_apple.jpg

Jim, I really like that shape in the SH Baker Steet; the beaded accent is terrific. I have it in a Kinsale but it really looks great in the Baker Street!

ba9hJxwl.jpg
Thanks. So do I. There's a truly great story behind how I was gifted this pipe a month ago, but it's way too long to type. It's the kind of story that every pipe smoker would appreciate, and I am extremely thrilled to own it.

Here's the other Baker Street that I own.
Peterson Sherlock Holmes Baker Street.jpg

Now smoking 2021 Watch City Simply Orange Virginia in a black sandblast medium bend 2021 Peterson POTY 4AB No. 182/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. Watching an episode of Mike Hammer.
4AB_Sandblast_left.jpg

Apres diner, having BS759 match kindly gifted by Haebar in a Maestro de Paya rusticated 1/4 bent apple. Creme Sherry on the side. Night has fallen but still a pleasant 60 on the patio. Still overcast so no stars out. Just watched an old episode Have Gun Will Travel. Writing is okay but was never impressed with Richard Boone as an actor.