What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greeting the sunrise over the mountains with xmas spice in my new Stanwell delivered yesterday. This is the one p&c had on sale for $30. Good pipe, smokes cool and should be even better when broken in.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-12-12-09-16-58.png
    Screenshot_2020-12-12-09-16-58.png
    743.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot_2020-12-12-09-19-39.png
    Screenshot_2020-12-12-09-19-39.png
    644.8 KB · Views: 85
Continued exploration of Country Squire blends:

Before lunch I enjoyed Country Squire Cherokee in a half bent rusticated Medico Crest. Pleasant by itself but I'll want to try sprinkling in a little C&D dark Burley to give it some more backbone.

Presently near the end of a bowl of Old Toby in a Nording Rhodesian. This is a sugar-cased Va-Bur-Per but I honestly don't taste any spice or distinctiveness from the Perique. Tastes like a generic B&M Cavendish blend to me. I'll want to add a good portion of Burley to take this in a more semi-aromatic direction if I'm to get through the two ounce supply. Any suggestions for tweaks from those who know this blend??

Anyhow, looking forward to the real star of the show, later this afternoon: Rivendell. That's the one to buy by the pound. Oh, I'm supposed to cool it with the recommendations . . . sorry.
Bru, reading reviews of Rivendell on TR one reviewer likened it to sutliff creme brulee and molto dolce. Have you tried those and would you agree? Your insight would be appreciated.

Greeting the sunrise over the mountains with xmas spice in my new Stanwell delivered yesterday. This is the one p&c had on sale for $30. Good pipe, smokes cool and should be even better when broken in.
Gorgeous sky there, worth getting up early for that!

Bru, reading reviews of Rivendell on TR one reviewer likened it to sutliff creme brulee and molto dolce. Have you tried those and would you agree? Your insight would be appreciated.
Whoa, I don't know who wrote that and don't want to step on anybody's toes in case they are a member here, but I certainly did not find it similar to those two mentioned. I know Molto Dolce has a huge following but mine sits in a jar untouched for over a year - too much butterscotch sweetness for me. Rivendell finds that almost impossible balance between sweet aromatic expression and a deeper, more savory foundation. I know several other members here such as BlackHorse and D.L.Ruth enjoy Rivendell, so maybe they'd care to weigh in on the matter ??

Whoa, I don't know who wrote that and don't want to step on anybody's toes in case they are a member here, but I certainly did not find it similar to those two mentioned. I know Molto Dolce has a huge following but mine sits in a jar untouched for over a year - too much butterscotch sweetness for me. Rivendell finds that almost impossible balance between sweet aromatic expression and a deeper, more savory foundation. I know several other members here such as BlackHorse and D.L.Ruth enjoy Rivendell, so maybe they'd care to weigh in on the matter ??
Just got this tobacco a couple of weeks ago. I as well have been on a Country Squire exploration. Rivendell is a top notch aromatic IMHO. It has a very nice tobacco foundation and taste and a beautiful room note. So far I have had Cherokee, Rivendell, Figgy Pudding, Delta Honeydew and Sheperd's Pie. I have enjoyed them all.

Thanks Bru. Don't really care who wrote the review just wanted your opinion. I like both creme brulee and molto dolce at the right time. I know several on here have extolled the qualities of Rivendale and in fact several reviewers on TR labeled it the best aro they had ever smoked. I like molto dolce a lot but would not call it the best I ever had. So given your critique I think I will be ordering some Rivendale as soon as I pay off the loan on my last TAD/PAD order, lol.
Yep, we do have some spectacular sunrises and sunsets. Think it is due to the different atmospheric layers caused by the terrain here.

Just got this tobacco a couple of weeks ago. I as well have been on a Country Squire exploration. Rivendell is a top notch aromatic IMHO. It has a very nice tobacco foundation and taste and a beautiful room note. So far I have had Cherokee, Rivendell, Figgy Pudding, Delta Honeydew and Sheperd's Pie. I have enjoyed them all.
Well, guess I have my next TAD order ready to go now.

Finishing up the day with PS306 in my newest Road Town dublin. Tastes okay but a little warm. Think I have to back off to some CH till I build a cake on this one.

Wow, we've been on the exact same path these last couple weeks! You must have ordered during the Black Friday sale like I did. Country Squire has a masterful touch with the aromatics, glad I decided to give them a shot. :)

Wilke Lizzie Blood Red Virginia in a Castello Old Antiquari 55, then Wilke Surbrug Crystal Palace in a Calabresi bent Dublin with a square shank.

I’ve had several tins opened that have dried out completely. This week, I have been re-humidifing them. I had a number of small portions of good aged Virginia’s that I rubbed out and mixed, including Cut Va Plug, Best Brown Flake, Butera Golden Flake, and a bit of McClellands stoved Va (5115). It’s a really nice blend and smokes smooth.

I also had a good measure of Luxury Bullseye Flake. In the old days, I would have mixed in any related blend, but I never really loved LBF. I tried it one more time ... meh. So, I pitched it. Life’s too short.