What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A third of a bowl left of KBV Burrrrley Morning Pipe Fall/Winter Edition Beta Test in an undated, unbranded, slight bend smooth darker brown made in France Los Alton VBF zulu with a black vulcanite saddle stem.

Enjoyed a tasty Jazz apple, and now smoking Wilke No. 1 in a 2003 URAL full bend big bowl egg shaped Lattice meer with a black acrylic saddle stem. Have enough left for one more bowl. I'll probably finish the day with this smoke.

Had more to do than I thought, so I'm smoking Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match in a medium bend 2002 MM Legend cob with a yellow plastic stem. Have about a third of a bowl left.

Cornell and Diehl Exclusive in a Pete,
20210205_053142.jpg

Enjoyed Country Squire Cowboy Coffee in its dedicated Savinelli Roma Lucite this morning. After watching one of my Italian cooking channels I tried adding real cream and honey to my coffee. I've tried brown sugar and natural sugar before but something about adding a few dollops of honey gave me a huge energy boost. There was a palpable rise in body temperature and I had to go out and shovel snow just to burn off some energy!

After logging out I'm going to have a bowl of Orlik Golden Slice in a French Comoy Prince before lunch.

Bru, read the reviews of 400. Says syrian latakia but Jiminks says cyprian. Which is it? Also says it has yenidge. Which I remember as being a component of BSOSM. Smoking Crystal Palace right now and can't imagine a blend getting much better. Your thoughts on 400 vs. CP?
For me very different. Since my supply is recent (from Black Friday Sale 2020) it's got to be Cyprian, and doesn't have the high-tones I associate with Syrian. But it's not really the Latakia or Yenidje that I'm responding to, it mostly whatever casing they use for their Burley, which gives savory flavors of rye, pumpernickel, anise, and bourbon. CP is creamier and less meaty. I'm keeping both on hand from now on. Other Wilke I've enjoyed were Sailor Jack and Commander, in fact the only slight disappointment was Golden Scepter - but maybe I just need to find the right pipe for it. :)

Last edited:
Short bowl of Rivendell in an aldo velani full bent apple since I have to leave in a half hour to go look at a new horse.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-02-05-10-05-57.png
    Screenshot_2021-02-05-10-05-57.png
    695.6 KB · Views: 63
Just finishing this bowl of circa year 2000 Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style.
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg

Now smoking year 2016 D&R Three Sails in a smooth straight late 1970s Charatan Special 4148DC Reg. No. 203573 pot with a black double comfort vulcanite stem. Time to do some walking.

Close to finishing this bowl of C&D Burley Ribbon Cut in a 1970s slight bend black sandblasted Comoy's Silver Cloud 624 square shank sitter with a silver pearl gray acrylic saddle stem. The weather warm up, and I got some fast walking and smoke puffing in going up and down that steep hill. Ice water and bergs is my drink.

Now smoking Iwan Ries British Medium in a 1990 Peterson Irish Second Hungarian natural with a tapered black vulcanite fish tail stem. Watching Mad Dog Russo.

Enjoyed a lunch of Schwarzwaldschinken auf semmelbrot. Huh? Ham sandwich. Oh. :p

After lunch: Wilke 400 in Pete Deerstalker. Ah . . . so good.

For me very different. Since my supply is recent (from Black Friday Sale 2020) it's got to be Cyprian, and doesn't have the high-tones I associate with Syrian. But it's not really the Latakia or Yenidje that I'm responding to, it mostly whatever casing they use for their Burley, which gives savory flavors of rye, pumpernickel, anise, and bourbon. CP is creamier and less meaty. I'm keeping both on hand from now on. Other Wilke I've enjoyed were Sailor Jack and Commander, in fact the only slight disappointment was Golden Scepter - but maybe I just need to find the right pipe for it. :)
You are correct. Wilke No. 400 hasn't had Syrian in it for years.

Now smoking year 2013 Capstan Blue in a 2015 Ryan Alden quarter bend black sandblasted Queen of Hearts freehand with a black acrylic saddle stem.
Ryan_Alden_Freehand copy.jpg

Now smoking D&R Penhooker Silver in an undated straight brush etched black Molina apple with a nickel band and a black tapered vulcanite stem. Time for another set of walks.

Wilke Subrug's Golden Scepter in a paneled Design Berlin.

Well, Jim Inks suggest a wide bowl and somehow I haven't remembered to try this in my widest bowl Charatan 489 pot. But in three different pipes this just doesn't have the harmony of some of the other blends. It's like a trial version of Crystal Palace that didn't turn out as good. I get fleeting moments of an earthy bitterness that remind me of a Burley that hasn't had the pH adjusted. I mean, it's not bad, but I'd have to give this one a B- compared to most other Wilke blends that hit it out of the park for me. Still, one mishit out of ten blends I've tried - what a batting average!

BTW, my 2 oz bulk looks quite a bit darker than the picture on the website. I wonder if in mixing together a batch in hurry to meet demand of Black Friday Sale, maybe my batch has more dark Burley in it?

my pipe for this night, Louisiana Flake in my Erik Nording

erik nording.jpg

Wilke No. 191 in a rusticated B&B billiard.

Very pleasant aromatic. Everything harmonious and consistent from start to finish. The flavor profile (vanilla and honey) reminds me of a boardwalk waffle cone. Another winner from Wilke!