What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here you go:
View attachment 9334
Like I said, I've done a little work on the interior of the bowl:
View attachment 9335
I also did that trick where you put a bunch of graphite on the tendon with a pencil to loosen the stem up a little. That's how I screwed up the shank in the first place, trying to take the thing apart so I could clean it using a regular pipe cleaner. 😋

Now I'm smoking Black Ambrosia in an AKB Sultan meerschaum.
Ironically, I bought the same pipe today, before I saw your pics!! I had planned to go back to The Hill Cigars in StL right after I visited the first time a couple of weeks ago. I planned to get a can of C&D Eight State Burley (which I did) and probably another pipe, because, more pipes! I am stuck on cobs right now, and it was down to that one and another called Lucky 7. L7 was $10 more and had a VERY large bowl. I liked it a lot, but I figured I should be more reasonable.

I also got some Long's pipe cleaners (seem to be the best) and a new Czech tool - the one I already had came with the pipe starter kit that my wife got me for Christmas, and it was kind of flimsy. The ones at The Hill are the real deal, so I got that. Got a few Acid cigars for my boys for after my daughter's wedding this Saturday. I never smoked while the kids were growing up - at least not since my oldest was 2 yo - and they're the ones that got me going again! Two of them have wives that both used to work at a cigar bar, and the freebies were flowing back then.

To stay on topic, I did smoke the Eight State Burley in the Cobbit, even though the hotel I'm staying at has no place to smoke and it's really windy out. That's some wonderful stuff. The wind made it smoke pretty hot, but I can tell I love it because the aftertaste is delightfully sweet.

Luxury Twist Flake in a bulldog meerschaum. Starting to get a little bit of coloration at last.

Goldberg, have you stopped in at Jon's Pipe Shop in Clayton yet? I also love Hill Cigar, it's not too far down the road from me, but Jon's inventory puts them to shame.

Noon chores are done and yesterday's pipes are clean. I waited for GH DVC to dry out before loading up a Rob Roy. DVC is probably my favorite Virginia, the casing has no scent and only adds neutral sweetness. Apparently the streaming process removes the nicotine punch but I can't say that I miss it!
I'd seen you smoke this so much that I bought 500g blind lol.

GH hasn't let me down so far.

Goldberg, have you stopped in at Jon's Pipe Shop in Clayton yet? I also love Hill Cigar, it's not too far down the road from me, but Jon's inventory puts them to shame.
I went there last week. Can't say I like it better than The Hill. When I walked into Jon's, I got a heavy "we don't serve your kind here" vibe. My 'kind' is "somewhat overweight 60 year old white guy," which should have put me in good company, but alas...

Maybe it was that I walked in 20 minutes before close? Anyway, It's hard for me to get to Jon's before they close, so I think The Hill will be my jam from now on.

Enjoyed a tasty golden delicious apple, and am off to work with a bowl of D&R Penhooker Silver in a straight smooth brown undated pre-Republic Peterson Shamrock 263 Canadian with a nickel band and a tapered black p-lip stem.
Peterson_PR_Canadian_Shamrock.jpg

I went there last week. Can't say I like it better than The Hill. When I walked into Jon's, I got a heavy "we don't serve your kind here" vibe. My 'kind' is "somewhat overweight 60 year old white guy," which should have put me in good company, but alas...

Maybe it was that I walked in 20 minutes before close? Anyway, It's hard for me to get to Jon's before they close, so I think The Hill will be my jam from now on.

Fair enough. And you're not wrong about the cliquey vibe, but they are mostly harmless.

Did some snacking, and am smoking C&D Virginia Gentleman in a straight smooth dark brown pre-1940s Comoy’s Jost’s Olde English Supreme J299 Canadian with a tapered black vulcanite stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Comoy's_Jost's Old English Supreme J299-Canadian.jpg

There's a few of their flakes I'd like to try if they ever get their Supply chain functioning. I also enjoy Balkan Mixture. DVC comes quite moist, I break up the chunks and let it dry out before loading up.
Anything particular you have in mind? I might have it.

Now smoking Wilke No. 515 Double Shot in a smooth dark medium bend 2021 Peterson Heritage Brown POTY 4AB No. 45/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. This is No. 515 with twice the rum of the Basil Rathbone blend. It's 50/50 whether or not this will be my last smoke of the day.
4AB_Brown-left.jpg

Anything particular you have in mind? I might have it.
The top of the list is Bright CR Flake. I avoid aromatics and Burley blends and I've tried some of the cut flakes, Broken Scotch Cake was ok but DVC beat it out of the lineup. Similarly Balkan Mixture was better than the numbered English/Balkan blends. I tried a few of the Kendals and they seemed more suited to the cigarette rollers. Scotch Flake, Bosun Cut Plug (the clove could be interesting) and to a lesser degree the Black and Brown Twist are the others I'll eventually try.

Good morning,
Smoking a Pete Watson with black & gold Cavendish and a Hortons k-cup. It seems to be another bad day with rain and wind here.My wife wants me to work on the honey-do list and all I want to do is go back to bed !