What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pipe Force Episode IV in an Altinay Dublin meerschaum. The meerschaum was I got from Meerschaum Market is working much better than Trinida beeswax from Amazon, I'll be waxing these Altinay puppies soonšŸ‘
20230616_185102.jpg

Half way through this bowl of year 2013 Capstan Blue Ready Rubbed in a straight smooth brown 1933-1945 Comoyā€™s patent Grand Slam 127 billiard with a tapered black vulcanite stem. I'd have posted sooner, but Abner the Eager snuck in the house, and greatly surprised me by jumping on my lap, and taking a snooze. I am amazed that he did that. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Comoy's_Grand Slam_127billiard.jpg

Ashton Guilty Pleasure in an Arasta pink-stemmed meerschaum.
Before
20230630_144733.jpg

After
20230630_153929.jpg

I guess we'll assume from now on my meerschaums are waxed, and go from there. Waxing brings out the browns and red in a meerschaum, sometimes highlighting visual textures you didn't know we're there, for better or worse. I'm sold, and I can thank @sobx for his protocol and guidance. šŸ‘

Last edited:
Enjoyed a giant turkey, ham and egg sandwich with a sliced peach and a decent size slice of Cozonac Crema cu Lapte brioche with milk cream center lunch. I'm nearing the half way mark on this bowl of KBV Cajun Safari in a 2002 IMP smooth full bend egg shaped meer with a black acrylic saddle stem. Gold Star mmmMidnight, neat, is my drink. Writing beta notes on this blend as I watch the Cubs-Guardians game. The Cubs pitcher, Steele, has a chance to develop in to a big star.
View attachment 10820

By the name, I'm hoping that blend has some good perique and generous portions! I always enjoy reading your reviews.
Heck, I'm still stuck on the "giant turkey, ham, and egg sandwich!"

Now smoking year 2012 Rolandoā€™s Own in a smooth straight early ā€˜60s Lane era ā€œWilliam Conradā€ Charatan Executive Extra Large stretch apple with diagonal channel cuts on the lower right and left of the bowl along with a black vulcanite double comfort saddle stem.
Conrad_apple-thumbnail copy.jpg

Ashton Guilty Pleasure in an Arasta pink-stemmed meerschaum.
Before
View attachment 10829
After
View attachment 10830
I guess we'll assume from now on my meerschaums are waxed, and go from there. Waxing brings out the browns and red in a meerschaum, sometimes highlighting visual textures you didn't know we're there, for better or worse. I'm sold, and I can thank @sobx for his protocol and guidance. šŸ‘
Geez, Charlie,

I would say you are right! The color is beautiful.

Did you smoke the pipe after waxing it, or is the change in color just the effect of the wax on the surface of the meer?

Either way, it looks great!

Book

Passing the first third of this bowl of year 2012 St. James Flake in a straight 1968 Dunhill Tanshell octagonal paneled EK F/T billiard with a square shank and tapered black vulcanite stem. This should get me to dinner time. Watching the Braves-Marlins game.
Dunhill_1968Tanshell_Billiard.jpg

Glad you found a place for it. I just picked up another pouch at my local Krogers store at $3.99 1.75 oz, and it has actually gone up. I guess I need not gripe šŸ˜€. I need to try mixing some Urban Cowboy using my open SWR pouch.
Easy enough if you have the recipe. 60% SWR, 25% Black Cav, 15% ODF. Don't need to be that particular either. I don't weigh anything, just eyeball it.

Just finishing up a bowl of GLP Charring Cross in a vintage Hilson straight grain 1/4 bent Rhodesian. Gin and tonic on the side. Time for dinner. A neighbor friend of my wife's dropped off chicken from a Mexican market over in Prescott Valley so no cooking tonight, thank goodness. Good evening BoBs.

Geez, Charlie,

I would say you are right! The color is beautiful.

Did you smoke the pipe after waxing it, or is the change in color just the effect of the wax on the surface of the meer?

Either way, it looks great!

Book
That's before I smoked it, I heat up the pipe considerably with a great gun when I apply the wax and it takes color very quickly.