What are you smoking?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All,

Weybridge in a Lorenzetti billiard.

Going up to + 3c today :D

:) Paul

Morning BoB :sleep: Early 3 am rise today with a bowl of Astley's 109 in a Tinsky P&T Black and Tan rhodesian

On this day in 1941, James Joyce died of a stomach ulcer at the age of 58. He is the author of Dubliners (1914), A Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man (1916), Ulysses (1922), and Finnegans Wake, which remained a work in progress for 16 years until it was finally published in 1939. Finnegans Wake is meant to show that history is cyclic, so the first sentence of the book is the end of the last sentence, which is unfinished. The last sentence is: "A way a lone a last a loved along the," and the first sentence is: "riverrun, past Eve and Adam's, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodious vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs."
Joyce was buried in Fluntern Cemetery in Zurich. He wrote in Ulysses: "We are praying now for the repose of his soul. Hoping you're well and not in hell. Nice change of air. Out of the fryingpan of life into the fire of purgatory."

http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/

2002 Christmas Cheer in a Perterson Bulldog......mmmmmmmmmm

New to me GLP Telegraph Hill in a no name Oom Paul. I like it after drying it out a bit.

Hookah Bros 2 hose hookah with Starbuzz Guava baccy

Puff Daddy":kfcsat1y said:
rick":kfcsat1y said:

:shock: :suspect: .................
Ummm.....should I counsel myself and go and read some of the rules for posting here???
No hookah talk allowed ??......all legal, I assure you.
:face:

I did smoke some GLPease Cumberland in my Huhn Volcano on the way home from work

Will soon be firing up some Penzance in a Pete System 312 for the ride home from work.

Hookahs??!! - reminds me of my MUCH younger days.............. :pipe:

For today's ride home, a Kaywoodie bent apple with Walnut. :pipe:

C&D Pennington Gap in a Savinelli Clark's Favorite. Sam Adams Boston Lager on the side.

rick said:
Puff Daddy":0js1fnbf said:
rick":0js1fnbf said:

:shock: :suspect: .................
Ummm.....should I counsel myself and go and read some of the rules for posting here???
No hookah talk allowed ??......all legal, I assure you.
:face:

I was just teasin ;) Starbuzz Guava eh? :lol:

SG FVF from 2000 in a newly acquired pre-trans Barling Lovat! Hey, you only live once right?

A late night smoke of Prince Albert, probably my all around favorite tobacco. The pipe, a Wilke billiard with Cumberland stem. A very flavorful smoke.

Well, these damned pain meds (or a judicious lack thereof - they're powerful so I try to not take them until I'm forced to) have me up at 2 am. Too early to get up, best take something, going to try to get back to bed. But at least I'm preparing a bowl for later while I wait for the effects of said pharmaceuticals to help me back to sleep - filling a bowl of Stonehaven in an Ashton XX Pebble billiard for later and thoroughly enjoying the wonderful aroma of this enchanting tobacco while I putz around on the web for a spell.

The Writers almanac has a "Listen" button near the top header, it is narrated daily by Garrison Kiellor, a fine writer and excellent orator. Todays entry might be worth a listen - http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/

It's the birthday of the author of 52 books and nearly 200 articles and short stories, Emily Hahn, born in St Louis, Missouri (1905).
She went to the University of Wisconsin in Madison, and she was the first woman in the university's history to graduate with a degree in Mining Engineering. Many of her peers and instructors disapproved and insisted that she would not be able to get a job. After college, she and another adventurous young woman disguised themselves as men and set out on a cross-country road trip, driving more than 2,400 miles.

She wrote: "Then followed several years of drifting, or as near drifting as a middle-class well-brought-up woman can achieve. … I needed money, and began to write in order to earn some." She taught geology at Hunter College in New York, and then she took off for Europe.
While she was in England, her first book was published in the United States: Seductio ad Absurdum: The Principles and Practices of Seduction — A Beginner's Handbook (1930). She traveled around Europe, then joined a Red Cross mission to the Belgian Congo. She spent nine months there with the mission, and then stayed in Africa another year, living with a pygmy tribe and traveling around central Africa on foot. Her experiences in Africa formed the basis for several of her books, fiction and nonfiction, including a travel memoir, Congo Solo: Misadventures Two Degrees North (1933), a novel, With Naked Foot (1934), and Africa to Me (1964), a collection of articles she wrote for The New Yorker on the subject of emerging African nationalism.

She worked for a while in England at the British Museum Reading Room, and then moved to China, where she wrote for The New Yorker. She moved into an apartment in the red-light district of Shanghai, and she had a pet gibbon, which she brought to dinner parties. In Shanghai, she became romantically involved with prominent men in the city, including the poet and publisher Sinmay Zau. He taught her to smoke opium, and she became an addict.

She moved to Hong Kong, and became lovers with a British spy, Major Boxer. They had a daughter together a few weeks before Hong Kong was invaded by the Japanese. She recounted these experiences in her memoir China to Me (1944), which was a great literary success.

She and Boxer got married and moved to his estate in England, where they had another child. Hahn lived a domestic life in rural England for several years, but then escaped to New York, where she bought an apartment and wrote memoirs, articles, fiction, and nonfiction. She continued to go into her office at The New Yorker until a few months before she died at the age of 92.

Emily Hahn said, "Nobody said not to go."

35 degrees here in the Ozarks, but supposed to get colder as the day wears on. Prince Albert in a Stanwell Majestic pot. Shape #35. Folgers in the mug.

Started the day early this morning with Walnut in a Brissett bent billiard.
Brissett530-3.jpg

Following that with another bowl of Walnut in a Kaywoodie Mandarin 1960-1967.
KayMand6.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.