What movie are you watching?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
51tQsb7FXgL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

Meh!

Cheers,

RR

El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie

I was a Breaking Bad fan, but I wasn't a fanatic about it like I can be. I didn't know this existed until a couple weeks ago. If you missed the characters, here you go. I liked that it created some backstory, but I love that about any show. Backstory. Backstory. Backstory. Give it to me. Depth. Depth. Depth. As for the story itself, as in an isolated event, it didn't blow my doors off. I did see Aaron Paul and his wife on the Architectural Digest youtube channel in reference to his Idaho cabin mansion. I think I enjoyed that more than I did El Camino.

51Z1VEEQGWL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

Anyone like me that grew up with Warner Brothers cartoons of Foghorn Leghorn needs to see this. The inspiration was Beauregard Claghorn who first appeared on the pre-TV radio show Fred Allen "Allen's Alley".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senator_Claghorn

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/N6-JddDUnyY" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Cheers,

RR

We just finished watching A Night Before Christmas, also known as Larceny, Inc., on TCM. Pretty funny and shows another side of Edward G. Robinson as a bumbling mobster.

91jnfL+H6hL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

Just finished the last episode of the final season. What a way great series. Quirky plots and characters. Can't believe I missed this when it was first run. I will definitely be buying the entire DVD set at some point as I've been watching it from my library (which is now closed of course). Also saw that there are plans for a re-boot so will look forward to that.

Cheers,

RR

More movies from my DVD collection -

81Xti8GWiUL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

I hadn't seen this for many years. In fact viewing it now, it seems very likely that some of the characters from Fawlty Towers were gleaned from this old B&W flick. For instance, the elderly Brewster sisters bear a striking similarity to the 2 old ladies that had about one oar in the water on Fawlty Towers. The nut case that thought he was Teddy Roosevelt also reminded me of the Major, and Cary Grant's character often had mannerisms and facial expressions of Basil Fawlty.

Can't say I've heard John Cleese speak of being influenced by Arsenic and Old Lace though and I've seen a good few interviews from him on the creation. Yet the similarity is striking! What a great movie regardless.

914U3PlJ26L._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

Classic stuff!

Cheers,

RR