What movie are you watching?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
51VjKeOMahL._AC_US218_.jpg

Saw this when it first came out and just re-watched it courtesy of my library. Not as exciting as I'd remembered....

Cheers,

RR

This classic last night-

51uytA7sG+L._AC_US218_.jpg

Yup, the original 1925 silent thriller starring Lon Chaney. Never saw this before and it was an experience!

While ostensibly a silent flick, this did have a music track playing throughout, mostly an orchestra with some opera singing (badly synced to the performance, but hey- that was part of the experience), and of course the scenes where the Phantom plays the pipe organ.

This was also "slightly" colourized, meaning that some scenes had a brownish tint and others a red tint.

Chaney's performance was superb. He really looked ghoulish and played his part well.

Highly recommended!

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":e5acsnfs said:
Now, a dalliance into the silly side of things-

61EDeJONlHL._AC_US218_.jpg

Saw this first in the theatre when it first came out in the mid 90's. Great to catch up. Tim Burton shines in his vision as the producer. Jack Nicholsen is perfect (and creepy as always) as his role as President. Pretty good early computer generated graphics.

I clearly remember the trading cards that came out in the early 60's which depicted the Mars aliens, which this was based in part on. Highly recommended. Slim Whitman and his country music is sufficiently lampooned!

8)

Cheers,

RR
This one was pretty funny and clever!

Another old B&W Flick-

51zJrMNg6eL._AC_US218_.jpg

Great story about a Welsh coal mining town. 1941 film featuring the incomparable Walter Pidgeon, Maureen O'Hara, and a very young Roddy McDowell.

The only negative here is that the major players were not Welsh and did not have the appropriate accents. Still, a great account and well worth watching.

I have an old friend in Blighty who is a retired coal miner in Yorkshire. And while his experience is different than that of the Welsh, the basic elements ring true!

Oh, and there is also plenty of pipe smoking featured!

:D

Cheers,

RR

Another silly one-

41S5gCArC4L._AC_US218_.jpg

Saw this old '42 B&W flick ages ago when I was a kid, and figured it was the inspiration for the TV sitcom "Bewitched" which I watched regularly.

I'd forgotten that Veronica Lake starred as the witch, and boy howdy was she ever a living doll! Prolly the most beautiful actress of that day and age, but there again I'm  a sucker for a pretty blonde!! She also had a waist like a wasp.

:heart:

Very entertaining and highly recommended.

Cheers,

RR

I'm on a B&W kick lately, and just watched this classic silent flick from 1923-

51m7+WrC2ZL._AC_US218_.jpg

Yup, the original starring Lon Chaney. This restored version was very scratchy and grainy, but that didn't detract from the presentation. Although released as a true silent, this version has a musical soundtrack that was superbly done.

Never saw this classic version before and it's a feast. I did see the 1939 version starring Charles Laughton as Quasimodo many years ago, and now have that on reserve from the library.

Cheers,

RR

51JAWhYQAdL._AC_US218_.jpg

The 1932 flick featuring Boris Karloff. Good stuff!

Part of this collection of Karloff Mummy movies includes the subsequent ones-

The Mummy's Hand (watched last night. A bit of a let down as it was kind of silly).

The Mummy's Tomb (will watch tonight).

The Mummy's Ghost.

The Mummy's Curse.

Abbott and Costello meet the Mummy (Think I once saw this. Should be a hoot).

Plenty of extra features on this, which may or may not be entertaining. I was once into monster movies as a lad!

Cheers,

RR

51xOk-23YHL._AC_US218_.jpg

This is the flick from 1939 featuring Charles Laughton as Quasimodo. And it's a very emotional account.

Yes, some of it deviates from the original story line for drama sake, but Laughton's performance is without peer. Highly recommended!

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":uezztzmo said:
Finished up the 10th and final disc of Band of Brothers last night, and plan to start re-watching it again tonight to catch anything I might have missed the first time around. Yup, I like it that much!

Cheers,

RR
Great series this, Rande. Very well put together, not sensationalised, and, I believe, historically very accurate. We're off to France for our summer holidays this year so will be heading to the beaches, Pegasus Bridge, Point d'Hoc, amongst others, so this will be a good intro for my son. Might have to 'vet' some of the more graphic scenes though.

I don't normally bother with remakes, but I watched the new The Thing last night. It was a favorite as a child. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't anything worth the bother, not for me or the makers. They didn't even make the alien very interesting. One of the cast went on to be in Game of Thrones, and another in last season of Fargo. That was the "best" part of it.

Just re-watched this last night-

41a1vAwmJ8L._AC_US218_.jpg

I've prolly seen it a half-dozen times or so but never get tired of it. Always a treat to see Sally Field. She's still foxy after all these years!

This is of Robin William's finest flicks. He's perfect in this role, but damn it's hard to remember that he committed suicide!

Cheers,

RR

hobie1dog":xw357nwt said:
In the Heat of the Night.
The original, with Steiger/Poitier? One of the best movies ever. Great story and acting. And better than the book, a rarity in filmdom.

Will watch Ninotchka tonight, for about the eighth time. I :heart: Garbo! And director Lubitsch ain't no slouch neither.

Just finished the last of 6 movies in this series-

613WrlTEQKL._AC_US218_.jpg

This is "The Mummy: Complete Legacy Collection", starting off with the original 1932 classic featuring Boris Karloff as Karis the Mummy. These are all B&W flicks based on the original story line:

The Mummy (1932)
The Mummy's Hand (1940)
The Mummy's Tomb (1942)
The Mummy's Curse (1944)
The Mummy's Ghost (1944)
Abbott and Costello meet the Mummy (1955)

Interesting to note that Lon Chaney Jr. played the part of Karis in "Tomb, Curse, and Ghost". And while he played the part well it didn't compare to Karloff, IMHO. The Abbott and Costello film was goofy, and barely worth watching, even though I do like some of their other flicks.

This collection has plenty of special features that were very interesting as well. A must watch for a fan of those early monster movies!

Cheers,

RR

Just watched this old flick-

51uZpBsyiIL._AC_US218_.jpg

Thought I might have seen it years ago, but if I did I don't remember it.

Semi-interesting and silly story line, with Cary Grant as the leading man. Held my interest, but not by much. Meh!

One thing I noted was that was some pipe smoking. Always a plus!

Cheers,

RR

Saw this many years ago, and just had the opportunity to see it again-

51BMCbl7GWL._AC_US218_.jpg

Way great B&W flick starring Kirk Douglas, Walter Matthau, Gena Rowlands, and Carol O'Connor.

Cheers,

RR