What shapes do you dislike the most?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have yet to find a style I do not like. All depends on the need/mood but they all are pretty much the same.

Of course I have my favorites like all of you.

Cheers,

RR

For some reason, I don't like paneled pipes. Can't say why, they just don't do it for me.

I have at least some appreciation for most pipe shapes from an artistic point of view but the shapes that I find the least appealing personally are (in this order) are 70's style freehands, hawkbills, horns, elephants feet, volcanoes (although I've seen some I like), and square panels (I like paneled pipes with more than four facets though.)

I really, really, really dislike the "Billiard".... I know it's a classic, but I hate that pipe shape. It just never struck me as aesthetically pleasing....

Maiser":wcw7n3tk said:
For some reason, I don't like paneled pipes. Can't say why, they just don't do it for me.
I don't care that their flat sides are often too thin. Dunhill and Ashton panels are classics. I'd gladly take a Dunhill ODA panel. I understand why some don't like strong angular shapes. They can be an eyesore.

elephant's foot, stack, blowfish, volcano, and straight pipes in general but there are exceptions

The only shape I really dislike is the Calabash/ Gourd. Though, I'm not really a fan of any pipe that has any kind of detail carving like you find on some Ardors.

I wasn't much of a fan of the Volcano until I bought one made by a forum member over at pipesmokerforum. I bought the pipe from him because I wanted to own one of his pipes more than because I wanted a pipe of that shape, but once I got it in my hand I really really liked it and I have been drawn to the shape ever since.

...I found this Italian Uncle Paul oldschool briar in a junk store for $10... I never thought I'd own one, but the way it hangs and the feel of it just kind of said "take me home." It's ugly: but charming!

6258692400_3d066705ba_z.jpg

Kyle Weiss":tejoxxmi said:
...I found this Italian Uncle Paul oldschool briar in a junk store for $10... I never thought I'd own one, but the way it hangs and the feel of it just kind of said "take me home." It's ugly: but charming!

6258692400_3d066705ba_z.jpg
I did the same thing: Got one at an antique store for about $10.00, Italian, no-name oom paul. I took it home thinking I'd clean it up and sell it because I didn't care for it too much in the looks department. Then I smoked it a few times.

Now I'm always on the lookout for more of them. They're really comfortable and the deep bowl does something for the smoke that I can't quite define. Love it with plain black cavendish and a book.

not much on any freehand, panels, or bamboo--

i like mostly the 'classic' shapes--of those, the dublin and churchwarden have never appealed to me--(having said that, i do own two dublins)

my favorite has to be the bulldog--prefer bents mostly--and i do like Oom Pauls--

I have recieved several panels as gifts.

Some are six and an eyesore

Others are four and ugly more

None are square to my sight

They all give me a fright

I do not like panels Bill I am. :lol!:

I prefer Canadians, bulldogs, Rhodisians, Billards and 99.44% of everything Randy Wiley has done (No more panels Mr. Wiley)

A pipe should have lines like a Herreshoff sailboat.

As already said: Big shapeless freehands. Also, Zulu shapes have never been to my taste either.

Any dime a dozen plain old generic looking pipes, straight Billiard, Apples And I have quite a few of them I dont smoke.

To all the ppl who hate Calabash, Oom Paul, Churchwardens and full bents, PM me for my address I will give the unwanted chidren a loving home :lol: :lol: :lol:

alfredo_buscatti":kahunlos said:
I have two cobs but I rarely smoke them. They're flimsy. I much prefer holding briar.
I really try to appreciate any shapes but I can't seem to find a freehand I like. Don't like bulldogs but like bent bulldogs go figure.

I initially shied away from cobs thinking briar was the only real option but was gifted one and was hooked. The Missouri Meerscham cobs are a well constructed pipe and have given me many hours of pleasure. I own a patriot, egg, spool and country gentleman... All bent.

Not a huge fan of meerschaum "over-carved" pipes. Looking for something elegantly simple.

Pipes with more than one finish. Blasted with a smooth top. Smooth with a blasted panel. etc. Please, NO! Possibly the ugliest, cheapest looking scheme to these eyes.

I've found I rather hate one- and two-sided panel pipes. Their dimensional improbability seems like it would make them irritating to smoke and admire.

I dont like a pipe that aint got bakker in it. I am partial to full bent pipes. They hang nice and smoke rolls up to the nose some have deep bowls like ive heard earlyer in the posts.

I can't seem to like volcanos, bridge pipes, or freehands.
Love cherrywoods with a 1/8 bend stem.