What type of razor do you use?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tennessee Dave":c8o29sv3 said:
I have a bunch of Gillettes. The prize of my collection though I received today in the mail. A MINT #66 in the case. Not a spot on it. I plan to put it in the rotation with the rest of them. :D
Atta Boy... if it isn't used, it isn't worth having IMO :cheers:

I have 7 Gillette Safeties from the Early 40's thru the 50's, and one Merker Long handle Slant.
My favorite is my 51 Super Speed. Hoping to get a Fat Boy soon.

Using Edge Gel, for ease of use but will hit the soap dish now and then.

I get a great shave with the DE's and the blades are dirt Cheap.

The only thing is, every time I see a new old one, I wanna buy it.

I have a decent size beard but i do still shave my neck and down my cheeks a little to give it a nive streagt line and when the summer comes i shave it all off. I use a streight edge razor made in germany in 1896 i realy need to get a true strpe and shaving mug for now i just use a coffy mug and my wallet as a strope. I spopend a decent 20 minits shaving when i do.

I have:
Merkur 1904
Merkur 38C
Bull Mastiff Deluxe handle with a Merkur head

I use mostly Mama Bear soaps but I also mix in Proraso, GF Trumper and TBOS.

Merkur Progress adjustable

Merkur 1904

Monsieur Charles straight with disposable baldes

use some locally made shaveing soaps , Proraso , and Cremo creams

I have been using a handful of old Gillette razors. Various models, and I don't shave everyday. But they really beat those Mach 3 things.

Well today a Merkur 38C arrived. Along with a couple tubes of Taylor of Old Bond Street creams. I am in love! :D

With the amount of shaving that I do, a good sharp knive and a little hot water and soap will do. :lol: :D

Carlos":y2xatq50 said:
I have been using a handful of old Gillette razors. Various models, and I don't shave everyday. But they really beat those Mach 3 things.

Well today a Merkur 38C arrived. Along with a couple tubes of Taylor of Old Bond Street creams. I am in love! :D
I loved my 38C till I bought a Bull Mastiff handle for my Merkur 1904 head. I sold my 38C that is how much I love the Bull Mastiff. You really should check out Bob's Razor Works!!! He is a real nice guy too.

J_Rock":v485lirw said:
Carlos":v485lirw said:

I loved my 38C till I bought a Bull Mastiff handle for my Merkur 1904 head. I sold my 38C that is how much I love the Bull Mastiff. You really should check out Bob's Razor Works!!! He is a real nice guy too.

I don't shave everyday. But as nice as this new razor is, I could possibly do that. I am shaving more often to see if any skin irritation crops up. That has always been my problem. I hate red, raw, itchy, broken out skin. But I will look at the Bull Mastiff.

Merkur Stainless DE 1904
Vulfix Best Badger Brush
ClassicShaving.com brand soap, sandalwood currently
Musgo Real after shave

Set up took me about 3-4 years to get perfect, but nothing changes other than scent of soap or aftershave.

I'm another shaving nut from the other forums. I found this site from a pipe forum, though, I promise.

Straight razor guy here. My razors that see action:

Filarmonica 14, Filarmonica 13, Palmera 14, DublDuck No. 1 Special, R. Klaas #78, R. Klaas "AM", R. Klaas Solingen 5/8, A. Witte "Gold Bug", Genco "Easy Aces", Wacker Jugendstil 15/16, Engstrom 5/8, Theirs-Issard #69 Frameback, Puma #222, Tosuke Kamisori 155mm, Clauss 6/8, C.V. Heljestrand MK No. 31, Dorko 300

I promise to start making some pipe-related posts soon! :lol!:

I started out shaving with the disposable cartridge razors. As time went by I saw the cost of shaving go up from $5 a week to $8 and finally it got to the point of $30+ a month for cartridges that left my face in a not so pleasant state. In October 2009, I discovered the double-edged safety razor through an acquaintance and purchased a 1961 Gilette Fatboy on ebay for $6. I learned the art of wetshaving and at this point wouldn't have it any other way.

I started with DE some 30 years ago and sticked with it and yellow Bics for years. About 3 or 4 years ago i wanted to restore my grandfathers straight razor and give it a try. Quite terrible experiment that was but i didn't want to give up too easily as i was sure that i should be able to shave comfortable with something that generations before me have done.
Nowadays i have about 10 straight razors and they are all i use. Well i use my DE Gillette Fatboy still when traveling but otherwise straight razors have given me the best shaves there is.
Straight razors are ecological, simple, reliable and they last for lifetime. All it takes is a little patience, time and practice to learn the skills.
Besides my wife said it looks sexy when a man is using straight razor.

Got myself a '62 Gillette Fatboy about six months ago!! Love the hell out of shaving with that thing!!!!! I use Mama Bear's soaps, plus Proraso and Old Spice shave cream. Great shaves!! FTRPLT

I just received my order a couple days ago from Truefitt and Hill. I received their DE razor in ebony finish with a silvertip badger hair medium brush with a stand that holds both. I bought the Trafalgar scent glycerine based shaving cream tub, aftershave balm and Cologne. My first shave was awesome, just lathering up with the brush is enjoyable. I made three passes and shaved again the next morning and was a little irritated on the neck. I have read that you must experiment with different brands of blades, I am currently using super merkurs which I believe are not a good brand to use. If you are interested in a relaxing old school shave that compliments the gentleman and pipes smoker, then check out WWW.truefittandhill.com somewhat pricey but it is from the oldest barber in the world, 1805, and was and has been barber to the Monarch.

Recently decided to try wet shaving, and I just acquired a Star DE, and a 40's Gillette Super Speed (Another xAD for sure).

Now just have to get: a brush, Soap or cream, aftershave, etc.

dspiveyjr":p5uqfk5l said:
I just received my order a couple days ago from Truefitt and Hill. I received their DE razor in ebony finish with a silvertip badger hair medium brush with a stand that holds both. I bought the Trafalgar scent glycerine based shaving cream tub, aftershave balm and Cologne. My first shave was awesome, just lathering up with the brush is enjoyable. I made three passes and shaved again the next morning and was a little irritated on the neck. I have read that you must experiment with different brands of blades, I am currently using super merkurs which I believe are not a good brand to use. If you are interested in a relaxing old school shave that compliments the gentleman and pipes smoker, then check out WWW.truefittandhill.com somewhat pricey but it is from the oldest barber in the world, 1805, and was and has been barber to the Monarch.
I found that the irritation is minimized as your skin gets used to being shaved with straight and safety razors. I rarely have skin irritation anymore unless I get in a hurry shaving. I also found that a good aftershave is crucial.

I use an old Gillette adjustable DE razor. I want to say it's from the 60's but I'm not sure. It was a gift from a friend last year. I like it a lot more than the newer multiblade razors and it's a heck of a lot easier on the wallet as far as blades go

Johnny":4pli3c5f said:
I use an old Gillette adjustable DE razor. I want to say it's from the 60's but I'm not sure. It was a gift from a friend last year. I like it a lot more than the newer multiblade razors and it's a heck of a lot easier on the wallet as far as blades go
J, I agree with you on the price of blades. Also Gillette used a date code on their razor's
from 1951 forward that include year of manufacture and which quarter of the year. Here's a link to that code, hopefully you can date your old Gillette.

http://www.safetyrazors.net/gil_ser2.htm