What type of razor do you use?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Midnight Blues":qmihn9rq said:
Johnny":qmihn9rq said:
I use an old Gillette adjustable DE razor. I want to say it's from the 60's but I'm not sure. It was a gift from a friend last year. I like it a lot more than the newer multiblade razors and it's a heck of a lot easier on the wallet as far as blades go
J, I agree with you on the price of blades. Also Gillette used a date code on their razor's
from 1951 forward that include year of manufacture and which quarter of the year. Here's a link to that code, hopefully you can date your old Gillette.

http://www.safetyrazors.net/gil_ser2.htm
Thanks for that. It turns out that my adjustable is from q3 of 1962 and my non-adjustable is from q3 of 1958. Really cool!

I use a Japanese style Kamisori. It's a straight razor with a chisel edge and it does not have a handle to close into. The thing is like a samurai sword for your face (made in a similar way as well, with the softer metal on the top and the very hard metal on the cutting edge).

I have been getting the best shaves of my life with it because it is just a bit smaller and easier to get into the nooks and crannies of my face and chin.

Just picked this little number up today...I have always been a fan of the Gillette razors.

I use a Merkur 34c, Taylor of Old Bond Street (sandalwood), and a badger hair brush. Returning to this way of shaving is the best thing I have done in years. I'm getting great results, and I'm still working to perfect my technique. I'm clean shaven (military style).

Right now I'm using a Schick Krona. Great, mild shaver that I get great results with no matter what blade I'm using! Paid all of $7 shipped on ebay for it!

Midnight Blues said:
Johnny":fxq605hv said:
J, I agree with you on the price of blades. Also Gillette used a date code on their razor's
from 1951 forward that include year of manufacture and which quarter of the year. Here's a link to that code, hopefully you can date your old Gillette.

http://www.safetyrazors.net/gil_ser2.htm
Darn: it say's that the account is suspended. :cry:

PipeLeisure":7enb9ztk said:
Just picked this little number up today...I have always been a fan of the Gillette razors.

I have one of those as well as a mach 3 power. I think that the fusion also makes a power one. I do want to get an old safety razor because the blades are so much cheaper!

Yep, DE blades are crazy cheap compared to the cartridges. Buy in bulk online and you can save even more!!

I use a Merkur DE razor with Israeli red personnas. I started using them about a year ago and have really loved it. A safety razor along with a good brush and cream are hard to beat.

I am currently using up some cheap store razors while I wait to get my Rob Klaas straight razor sharpened.

usually I use vintage straight razors.
I prefer shaving cream to soap, my favourites are the Dr. Harris Arlington and, for the hot summer days, our national pride Proraso :)

Ever since I started straight razor shaving this year, I ask myself what kept me from finding this art for so long. Normally, when using one of the drugstore Gillette razors, I had to shave everyday since during high school we had a strict clean shaven policy enforced for men. Unfortunately, I was getting 5 O'clock shadow at 1pm and would often get talked to by the dean where I would swear to him that I had shaved that morning. Now that I have been using the Dovo Shavette, I can shave every other day now. Using the one blade has made my whiskers much softer and easier to handle. Plus, the relaxation that I get in the morning as I clean up my face is just great, no longer feeling rushed by a seemingly monotonous chore of the past.

koogs":g6hbpnop said:
Ever since I started straight razor shaving this year, I ask myself what kept me from finding this art for so long. Normally, when using one of the drugstore Gillette razors, I had to shave everyday since during high school we had a strict clean shaven policy enforced for men. Unfortunately, I was getting 5 O'clock shadow at 1pm and would often get talked to by the dean where I would swear to him that I had shaved that morning. Now that I have been using the Dovo Shavette, I can shave every other day now. Using the one blade has made my whiskers much softer and easier to handle. Plus, the relaxation that I get in the morning as I clean up my face is just great, no longer feeling rushed by a seemingly monotonous chore of the past.
+1

Since I started straight razor shaving over a year ago, I can stretch a shave out two or three days and I have a pretty thick, dark beard.

My father recently gave me my grandfather's old DE. I have no idea what brand it is. I don't see any markings on it. I've never used a DE. Anyone have a recommendation of which DE blades to use? It won't replace my straight razor but I'd like to use it for nostalgia sake.

I'll revive this thread since I am new, but count me in the DE/straight razor camp. Made the switch almost 10 years ago when my first son was born. While my straight razor use has dwindled to a Sunday afternoon shave 2-3 times a month, my DE razors see heavy use. Don't miss paying for carts one bit.

I use a vintage Gillette safety razor. Straight razors are pretty darn cool, but I am far too clumsy to risk using one.

I've been shaving my head for about 10 years and to me a good razor makes all the difference. I use the Gillette Fusion Pro Glide Power. The power does actually make a difference too. The trouble is it sucks batteries something fierce. I use a litte "Shave Secret" (sounds like a feminine shaving product, but it's not) covered with any generic shave gel. I try to shave it pretty much every day and on a good day I go over it about 3 times. If I'm going to look bald I want to REALLY look bald, no 5 0'Clock shadows here.

I've contemplated spending some cash and getting a good straight razor, but I think I've lost the courage to try.

I received a Dovo Best Quality 5/8" for Christmas. I love using a straight. I'm looking to upgrade to a Dovo Bismarck 6/8" when I can afford the $180 :/

I am still using a Mach5 with some Maca Root shave cream (but with a real brush) - total head shave though. I have always been intrigued by the straight razor, and perhaps I will start my investigation again. Any recommendations on a good starting option?